• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2013 4:19 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 8, 2011
215 posts
20 upvotes

email name scarcity

Hi, it seems like every good name I try on microsoft live, gmail, and ymail are all taken. What other options do I have? Thanks.
15 replies
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
register a domain name, set up your own server (you don't need much, a little Raspberry Pi would do the trick to run qmail or sendmail), and you can have as many names as you want.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Mar 11, 2011
415 posts
154 upvotes
Montréal
@outlook.com is recent, maybe you'll have more luck on outlook
Sep 8, 2011
215 posts
20 upvotes
Mark77 wrote: register a domain name, set up your own server (you don't need much, a little Raspberry Pi would do the trick to run qmail or sendmail), and you can have as many names as you want.
Not sure I have the savvy to attempt that... could be a headache if something goes wrong.
xalex0 wrote: Depends what you consider "good"
The usual, First+Last name, and variations thereof. (no random numbers)
Jul 13, 2009
932 posts
63 upvotes
Mark77 wrote: register a domain name, set up your own server (you don't need much, a little Raspberry Pi would do the trick to run qmail or sendmail), and you can have as many names as you want.
You don't even need to run a server, you can run outlook.com accounts (and probably others, but that's what I use) on your own domain.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
Yeah if you're willing to pay for your own domain (few bucks a year), you can use that along with Google Apps ($50 a year) or one of the free options like Zoho.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
No need for your own hosted email even. Use the 'still' free live.com email servers.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1438 posts
619 upvotes
Emulator wrote: Not sure I have the savvy to attempt that... could be a headache if something goes wrong.

The usual, First+Last name, and variations thereof. (no random numbers)
You might want to reconsider that -- If you put your real name in an e-mail address, it makes it that much easier to steal your personal info.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
shopper_of_things wrote: You might want to reconsider that -- If you put your real name in an e-mail address, it makes it that much easier to steal your personal info.
sometimes you need it. it's kind of hard sending in a resume with "thuglife831@hotmail.com" when your name is Joey Diaz
Jul 14, 2008
196 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Steack wrote: @outlook.com is recent, maybe you'll have more luck on outlook
oooo thanks, just got my first name _ last name on outlook.com as an alias

no more first name last name _ on hotmail any more !
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7742 posts
399 upvotes
Scarborough
There's always .name, .eu, .on.ca, .us, .ws, .sx, .se etc etc.
Just try a bunch of the different dot's available at GoDaddy.
After that, you simply go to outlook.com, and they can forward your email for you.
Also, you could try dreamhost.com as they provide free domain names with a hosting pack, which includes webmail access.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
I have to call Shaw since i am moving to them again and see if i can get my old email name back. otherwise i will have to think of another that probably will be taken and i hate adding numbers after it such as keas11 or whatever.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
Keas wrote: I have to call Shaw since i am moving to them again and see if i can get my old email name back. otherwise i will have to think of another that probably will be taken and i hate adding numbers after it such as keas11 or whatever.
Why are you using your ISP provided email service? It's just asking for trouble...not to mention forcing you to stay with a single ISP.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
Scycotic wrote: Why are you using your ISP provided email service? It's just asking for trouble...not to mention forcing you to stay with a single ISP.
I use a Hotmail account as my main but will use another for different things that wont bother me if i discontinue and lose the address. also easier to remember.
Telus screwed up my email address - the guy who took down what i wanted i guess wasn't really listening to the spelling or miss typed it and by the time i found out it was too late to change it.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)