Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes

surface RT or nexus 7-2?

Hey everyone,

So I know this is a weird comparison. So let me give you some background. I had a nexus 7, which I rarely used because it over lapped with my phone(gs3) a lot. But I did like watching Netflix and TV shows from sites using flash.

Now I was planning on getting the nexus 7-2 but I can get the surface RT for $299($349 -$50 coupon at staples). So the price is very similar.

I'm also going back to school in September so the RT could make a good secondary screen for reading PDFs and articles while I type on my 11inch laptop.

With Windows 8.1 around the corner do you think it's a worthwhile buy or do the lack of apps still make it a dead product?

Thanks!
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
23 replies
Jan 13, 2013
243 posts
24 upvotes
Edmonton
I wouldn't even buy a Windows desktop/laptop. (MacBooks are over-priced and Chromebooks are just so cheap, slow, low quality etc. so I'm desktop/laptop-less) and.. RT :facepalm:
Go with the Nexus.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes
yulett wrote: I wouldn't even buy a Windows desktop/laptop. (MacBooks are over-priced and Chromebooks are just so cheap, slow, low quality etc. so I'm desktop/laptop-less) and.. RT :facepalm:
Go with the Nexus.
Well I already have a windows laptop which I need for note taking in school using one note. I know some people can do all their notes on android but I can't, its just too restrictive compared to a full desktop OS in my opinion.

I want a tablet as a secondary reader and also to email, facebook, skype etc. Which both the RT and nexus can do.

Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
You have a N7 and you rarely use it, I guess that answer half of your question.

Now to your second ques, is it worth to buy a Surface for $300? It will make a nice secondary device for browsing, reading (all tablets without keyboard dock are really just secondary devices imo). As a secondary device, viewing distance is futher, so you want bigger screen and resolution is lesser an issue. However, your N7 can do a good job as secondary device but with a smaller screen. So you have to decide whether you want a 10" for $300.

I don't know how portable is your laptop. If you plan to get a keyboard cover, the Surface can be a great school mobile device with full Micorosft Office support.
fatestkid wrote: Hey everyone,

So I know this is a weird comparison. So let me give you some background. I had a nexus 7, which I rarely used because it over lapped with my phone(gs3) a lot. But I did like watching Netflix and TV shows from sites using flash.

Now I was planning on getting the nexus 7-2 but I can get the surface RT for $299($349 -$50 coupon at staples). So the price is very similar.

I'm also going back to school in September so the RT could make a good secondary screen for reading PDFs and articles while I type on my 11inch laptop.

With Windows 8.1 around the corner do you think it's a worthwhile buy or do the lack of apps still make it a dead product?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2513 posts
1553 upvotes
Toronto
I would lean towards the Nexus 7.
It has more apps, therefore more utility. I know you just want it for reading PDFs but that could change.
Might as well get the higher value if it's the same price.

Also I think the resale value will be higher should you decide to get rid of it.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes
82 wrote: You have a N7 and you rarely use it, I guess that answer half of your question.

Now to your second ques, is it worth to buy a Surface for $300? It will make a nice secondary device for browsing, reading (all tablets without keyboard dock are really just secondary devices imo). As a secondary device, viewing distance is futher, so you want bigger screen and resolution is lesser an issue. However, your N7 can do a good job as secondary device but with a smaller screen. So you have to decide whether you want a 10" for $300.

I don't know how portable is your laptop. If you plan to get a keyboard cover, the Surface can be a great school mobile device with full Micorosft Office support.
Well I had a N7, not anymore. I also wasn't at school hence why it only got used for watching movies/tv. my laptop is 11.1 inches and under 3 lbs so very portable as well. I think I'm leaning towards the Surface just because its new to me, but really N7 is the right choice in the long run.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes
joo wrote: I would lean towards the Nexus 7.
It has more apps, therefore more utility. I know you just want it for reading PDFs but that could change.
Might as well get the higher value if it's the same price.

Also I think the resale value will be higher should you decide to get rid of it.
You are right about all those things. I do a lot more with my phone that I could off load to the N7 as well because frankly my GS3 is crawling at times. Specially because of skype.

Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
247 upvotes
I would say the Nexus 7 is better value, I would wait for some US reviews to come out since it's released there earlier and buy it there. It just seems like you can do more things with that and Android 4.3 seems like it has some nice features.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
i would wait and get either the nexus 7 (new version) or possibly the new Asus Memo 7 if it comes out before you need to buy. the win 8 rt will give you less functions because of less apps and probably would end up using it less than the androids.

I think you will also see more tablets go on sale in the next month including the win 8 versions.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2682 posts
731 upvotes
Montreal
fatestkid wrote: Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Tegra 3 is feeling a little beaten down at this down when it comes to keeping up in performance, so I'd lean towards the Nexus 7, the Note 8" has a bigger screen than the Nexus and pretty good processor though the specs aren't as good, also there's the Nexus 10 though you can't order that at Staples...
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
the note 8" would probably be the best with what is out now but it is $399 the last time i checked.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Oct 11, 2010
754 posts
81 upvotes
If you're using it to read articles and pdfs in addition to your laptop then go with the Nexus 7.

If your thinking about replacing your laptop entirely then it's tricker. Basically the Surface RT is an inferior product all round except that it has Office, which may or may not be necessary for you. But without Office the Surface RT is more restrictive as an OS than Android so if you're feeling cramped I would say go full Surface Pro or Nexus.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
I'd say the Surface RT. My N7 always felt like a 'toy'. Like you I found my phone to do almost as much in a more convenient form factor. I've had my RT for two weeks and I feel like I've done more productive stuff with it than with the N7 in 8 months.

While the number of apps is limiting - the apps that I use are there. Evernote, Getitdone, Excel etc. What I'm finding is that I'm starting to be able to use the RT for light duty stuff, my i5 laptop(s) for heavier tasks and be able to do it seamlessly. It helps that I'm in a pretty well Windows only system at work and home.

One really nice thing is the native USB support. I can just plug into my existing hub and I have a full size keyboard, mouse etc. Plus when I want to copy movies I can just plug in an external drive and copy. No more 3rd party apps and transferring over wifi.

I'm keeping my Surface RT,

/my 2 cents...
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10715 posts
1254 upvotes
Vancouver
Sum_guy wrote: I'd say the Surface RT. My N7 always felt like a 'toy'. Like you I found my phone to do almost as much in a more convenient form factor. I've had my RT for two weeks and I feel like I've done more productive stuff with it than with the N7 in 8 months.
I agree that Android is more for play/consumption but at the other end of the spectrum, proper Windows 8 is far more capable with regards to productivity. While the recent price cut makes it more attractive, the Surface RT is stuck somewhere in-between. It doesn't have an app catalog to rival Android nor is it compatible with legacy Windows applications.
<< Public Mobile, Zoomer Wireless, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital user >>
FS: 6TB HDD, Pixel 2, Phanteks LP cooler, free stuff
MY HEATWARE
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes
Sum_guy wrote: I'd say the Surface RT. My N7 always felt like a 'toy'. Like you I found my phone to do almost as much in a more convenient form factor. I've had my RT for two weeks and I feel like I've done more productive stuff with it than with the N7 in 8 months.

While the number of apps is limiting - the apps that I use are there. Evernote, Getitdone, Excel etc. What I'm finding is that I'm starting to be able to use the RT for light duty stuff, my i5 laptop(s) for heavier tasks and be able to do it seamlessly. It helps that I'm in a pretty well Windows only system at work and home.

One really nice thing is the native USB support. I can just plug into my existing hub and I have a full size keyboard, mouse etc. Plus when I want to copy movies I can just plug in an external drive and copy. No more 3rd party apps and transferring over wifi.

I'm keeping my Surface RT,

/my 2 cents...
Do you use it for school? How is typing speed on the touch keyboard?

Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
247 upvotes
Surface RT is more limiting than an iOS device. You can't even watch flash videos or streams for the type of shows/events you'd wanna watch for 'free' because Flash only works from certain sites. The size of the OS is too large. I just like the way the thing is built but the software being worst and value being better on a Nexus makes that one better to me.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
RT more limiting than an iOS device because flash works on sites on the whitelist, where as iOS simply block all? What's your logic there? btw, you can get flash support on any sites by manually update the whitelist and there are even tools for that, but at your own risk since the content is not screened by Microsoft. To me, Android is wide open and the #1 target for hackers. iOS is safest (for now anyway) and RT is somewhere in between.
Nettles wrote: Surface RT is more limiting than an iOS device. You can't even watch flash videos or streams for the type of shows/events you'd wanna watch for 'free' because Flash only works from certain sites. The size of the OS is too large. I just like the way the thing is built but the software being worst and value being better on a Nexus makes that one better to me.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)