• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2013 2:42 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 28, 2008
224 posts
32 upvotes

Can you put modem on top of a router?

Just was wondering if you can put your cable modem on top of the router? Will it cause any heating issue to the router or modem? I just want to stack them together to look nicer and save a bit of space on my desk.
10 replies
Apr 27, 2003
641 posts
204 upvotes
I did this for a while... depends how much heat you are putting out I guess... I seperated mine a bit by putting four bottle caps under each corner of the modem for airflow...
Where's the beef?
Jan 28, 2008
224 posts
32 upvotes
Superhucard wrote: Can you put them side-by-side?
I can but if I have an option I want to stack them together. Like I say I want to save space and look nicer on my desk.....
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5438 upvotes
put both vertical side by side, problem sovled
The sweetest gyal
Jan 28, 2008
224 posts
32 upvotes
kenj wrote: I did this for a while... depends how much heat you are putting out I guess... I seperated mine a bit by putting four bottle caps under each corner of the modem for airflow...
Thanks, I'll give your method a try.
Apr 27, 2003
641 posts
204 upvotes
Thought I'd clarify -- one bottle cap under each corner, NOT four bottle caps under each corner as I previously wrote! HAHA!
Where's the beef?
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1132 posts
824 upvotes
Toronto
kenj wrote: Thought I'd clarify -- one bottle cap under each corner, NOT four bottle caps under each corner as I previously wrote! HAHA!
+1, been doing the stacking of my router on my switch for many year
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
As long as one doesn't cause the other to overheat, it should be fine.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
vita_7 wrote: Just was wondering if you can put your cable modem on top of the router? Will it cause any heating issue to the router or modem? I just want to stack them together to look nicer and save a bit of space on my desk.

Is the modem a dsl or cable?
Inclemental wrote: +1, been doing the stacking of my router on my switch for many year
The amount of heat dissipation between a switch and a modem is considerable.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
I don't have mine like this but if you want to save desk space you could mount them upside down under the desk, or if you have a hutch you could mount it under that if you want the antenna higher. Saves space that way and hidden out of sight..

Theres lots of ways to do it, this example they used pegboard but you dont need to do it that way. Alot of modems have notches in the bottom for screws.

[IMG]http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18s04he ... medium.jpg[/IMG]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)