Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1322 posts
906 upvotes
East of Toronto

2Wire Modem and Dynamic DNS

Have a house in a rural area but it does get DSL, albeit the bottom rung. Signed up Bell as with promos and no dry loop charge it was cheaper than Teksavvy.
Bell provides this 2Wire modem/router for internet access. I have a couple Linksys cameras that I want to hook up to monitor the place when I am not there. It seems that to do so I need dynamic dns and this 2Wire does not support it.

From the 2Wire website:
Dynamic DNS is a system that allows the domain name data held in a name server to be updated in real time. Under this system, an Internet domain name is assigned to a computer with a varying (dynamic) IP address. This makes it possible for other sites on the Internet to establish connections to the machine without needing to track the IP address themselves.
A common use is for running server software on a computer that has a dynamic IP address, as is the case with many consumer Internet service providers. Dynamic DNS works with a 2Wire Residential Gateway, as long as a computer on the internal network is running a dynamic DNS client.

So I think what it is telling me is that I need to keep a computer running with dynamic dns for the camera to work over the internet. Is there any other solution that a novice like myself could figure out?

Thanks for your help.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
Does the Linksys camera model that you have support a dynamic dns service such as TZO?

It may be possible to use a D-Link router (with dlinkddns.com support) to act as the DDNS client behind the 2Wire. I'll fire up my DL-604.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
I don't understand why you would have any problem with the 2Wire supporting these cameras. Are they hard wired or wireless?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1322 posts
906 upvotes
East of Toronto
My apologies. I was thinking Linksys for some reason but they are these cameras :
http://www.trendnet.com/products/prodde ... TV-IP551WI

They were on Dell Days of Deals a while back at $49.99.

They are wireless and I have set them up and they are visible from computers within my home network. The problem is accessing them from say work.

I will spend some more time with the manual.

One instruction I looked at advised me to set up the dynamic dns on my router which is impossible on the 2 wire.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
The specs say that this model supports Dynamic DNS. (dlinkddns.com is free, but your account could be closed for non-Dlink devices. Worth a try unless Trendnet provides another service for free.)

Just use the camera ddns client.

Next question. Port forwarding through the 2wire.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1322 posts
906 upvotes
East of Toronto
Thanks fastlayne. I will probably try the Bell tech line on the portforwarding issue.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
I'm still not clear about your issue. Your original post suggested there was some issue with either the cameras or the modem/router but that is not the case. Is it a case of you not being able to setup the cameras or not being able to remotely access them? I'm happy to help but not sure how to do so!

I doubt that there is anything too complicated here.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1322 posts
906 upvotes
East of Toronto
The issue is how to access the cameras remotely. I can access them fine within the home network. The way I see it now, I need a dynamic dns service and dynamic dns set up on the cameras and then the router portforwarded. I guess I need to work through how to do it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)