Computers & Electronics

Computer won't boot/post - Is it done? I'm out of ideas...

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2013 6:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1711 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto

Computer won't boot/post - Is it done? I'm out of ideas...

So the computer is about 2.5 years old (my own build - budget gaming computer). I'm pretty good at troubleshooting software/hardware issues (built my own comps for 20 years).

So I usually shut my computer off at night. I did last night, but I noticed in the morning it was still on. Nothing was happening, so I shut the computer off (had to use the back PS switch). Now the computer won't boot/post/beep anything. The computer does turn on, all the fans run, and I can hear the mechanical HDD's going, but nothing else. Unfortunately my only other computer is my HTPC (using it now), and it's micro-ATX in a very small enclosure which basically means I can't really test much (Power Supply in it is non-standard as well, plus I don't want to start messing around with it).

What I've done so far...

- Cleaning it out with compressed air (it was quite clean anyway)
- Tested monitor separately and it works fine
- Reset CMOS jumper and removed battery and tried powering on with those things reset/removed
- Only used 1 stick of RAM (I have 2)
- The CPU does not have an on-board GPU

Again, it powers on fine and fans all work just nothing else. The CPU and RAM were OC'd but have been for almost the entire time I've had the comp with no issues. I have never had this issue with this computer before, and I have not added any new hardware or software to the machine in months (pretty basic stuff on it).

And now, the computer turns on immediately when I switch the rear power switch on. Normally I obviously press the power button on the front. All the connections seem fine and the power button does not appear stuck.

Suggestions?
39 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
Re-seat the RAM.
One of the rails on the psu is down (+5 Vdc) My guess is the psu is done. What type of a psu do you have it installed?

Do you have a piezo speaker to attach to the mobo.Beeping annunciation may give you an additional insight into any issues.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1711 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote: Re-seat the RAM.
One of the rails on the psu is down (+5 Vdc) My guess is the psu is done. What type of a psu do you have it installed?

Do you have a piezo speaker to attach to the mobo.Beeping annunciation may give you an additional insight into any issues.
The power supply switch directly turns on PC thing happened before I pulled the RAM. I'll reseat it though.

The PS is a 600 watt OCZ modular one from a couple of years ago. Think it's that? Just died randomly?
Nov 22, 2012
336 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
if the PSU was done then none of the fans would be running

Doesn't your motherboard have on-board video? You can test if your video card is dead or not. Though i doubt it.

Try different RAM.

If nothing works then it's either your motherboard or CPU. You can also try replacing the battery on your motherboard.
Nov 22, 2012
336 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
shopper_of_things wrote: Not true. PSUs fail in different ways.
If the PSU was "dead" then why would the fans, including the HDD connected to the PSU still run?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
jjs0891 wrote: If the PSU was "dead" then why would the fans, including the HDD connected to the PSU still run?
Dude..there are different power rails on that psu. All the fans and hdd motor run off +12 Vdc. There are other voltages that run the pc (+3.3, +5) which are primarily used for the logic end of the board/cpu/gpu.

The motherboard does not only run on 12 volts..lol. The hdd controler PCB runs off +5 Vdc. The psu does fail and being an OCZ..it's a good possibility is dead.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1711 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
Ya, to be clear all the fans are running (CPU, GPU, PS, case, etc...). I see what is being said though...

Reseating the ram did nothing.

Any suggestions for a budget psu for a budget gaming computer?
Nov 22, 2012
336 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
Unless his PSU was made 6 years ago, OCZ brand power supplies are great quality. I still doubt that it is your PSU.
Sep 6, 2007
186 posts
65 upvotes
Sherwood Park
jjs0891 wrote: if the PSU was done then none of the fans would be running

Doesn't your motherboard have on-board video? You can test if your video card is dead or not. Though i doubt it.

Try different RAM.

If nothing works then it's either your motherboard or CPU. You can also try replacing the battery on your motherboard.
As stated above, the next thing to do is replace the battery in your motherboard. Most of them are good old CR2032 batteries. I had an old ASUS motherboard that did the same thing - everything powered up but no post. Replaced the battery and all is good. Hopefully it is something as simple as this and not motherboard related. Even if the cpu and video card are pooched the motherboard should post with error beeps. Cheers!
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
jjs0891 wrote: Unless his PSU was made 6 years ago, OCZ brand power supplies are great quality. I still doubt that it is your PSU.
PSU's failures can happen with any brand. One of my first steps in troubleshooting boot issues is to try a known working PSU.
I always keep an extra PSU (which I have pretested) for this reason. :)
ArnRimmer wrote: As stated above, the next thing to do is replace the battery in your motherboard. Most of them are good old CR2032 batteries. I had an old ASUS motherboard that did the same thing - everything powered up but no post. Replaced the battery and all is good. Hopefully it is something as simple as this and not motherboard related. Even if the cpu and video card are pooched the motherboard should post with error beeps. Cheers!
For 2.5+ year motherboard, replacing the CMOS battery would rarely be needed. I would suggest taking the battery out to clear the CMOS which would reset the BIOS to default settings, which you already have done. Also can leave out the CMOS battery, its only need to keep the BIOS settings when there is no power to the computer.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
CMOS battery replacement would be a prudent attempt then..Do get a brand name of a battery replacement as those sold at a Dollar stores are crap (as already provided CR2032).

Also a brief description of the hardware (mobo/cpu/RAM/vid card)?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1711 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
I was under the impression that you could at least get to BIOS even without the CMOS battery at all. Anyway...

This was stuff was purchased about 2.5 years ago (closer to 2 actually).

CPU - AMD Phenom II 955 - OC'd to 3.8 since basically the first week. Higher end Cooler Mater cooler on it.
RAM - 4 gigs of GSkill RAM (2 DIMMS). It's gaming RAM with heatsinks, OC'd from 1333 to 1600.
GPU - Saphire Radeon Xtreme 5850, not OC'd
Mobo - ASROCK M3A770DE 770+SB710

While I usually buy budget stuff, I still get stuff that's rated well. I do my research and do plenty of stability testing when I first do the build.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
If power supply is suspect and comfortable with the process,
Open up the power supply and inspect for any defective capacitor(s).

While you're at it,
May as well check the mobo for defective capacitor(s) as well.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1438 posts
619 upvotes
Warlock wrote: If power supply is suspect and comfortable with the process,
Open up the power supply and inspect for any defective capacitor(s).

While you're at it,
May as well check the mobo for defective capacitor(s) as well.
Yikes! PSU capacitors can KILL you if you don't know what you're doing.
Jun 5, 2013
38 posts
3 upvotes
COLLINGWOOD
It is tough to determine what hardware is faulty without beeps or lights to let you know if the bootup passes BIOS or the ram is faulty, or the motherboard is dying, but im guessing since its a budget PC for a gamer this has something to do with over heating damaging the motherboard. I cannot provide any insight on the rear power overriding the front power button, but one thing comes to mind that may work if its NOT a hardware issue.

Most motherboards have a part near the battery that has three metal prongs with a cap on two of them, and in my understanding it works like resetting a fuse. Anyways, in the past when I've had boot issues I have turned off the computer moved the cap to the otherside of the three prongs, then hit the power button, then moved the cap back to its normal position then try booting up.

That sounds like a long shot from what I've read, most likely you have a faulty connection that will require soldering, and it may not be worth the time or effort of finding and fixing it compared to buying a new MB. If you do decide to open the power supply, you will want to make sure there is no residual charge left or static. It can be dangerous to tinker with a power supply.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmmm, lots of missing the point here...

Let's go back to basics: if the system doesn't POST (i.e., no beeps, no flashing disk access light, no BIOS startup display), then one of 3 things is wrong:

- dead CPU
- dead motherboard
- power supply failure

You do not need memory, nor a graphics card, nor a keyboard in order to know if the CPU can run POST - just a speaker. You should hear beeps reporting no memory or no graphics card or no keyboard if they are not present. If you don't, then the CPU is not running POST.

Diagnostic:

- Unplug and/or remove everything except the CPU and the connection to the PC speaker, then try to boot and listen for beeps. No beeps = CPU not running.

- Try another power supply. You won't need a lot of power for just the motherboard and CPU.

That's about it for things you can do.

If it's the CPU or the motherboard, that's a lot harder to test since you need to find a compatible match. Regardless, you're probably going to throw out the pair of them and get a new matched CPU+motherboard anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1711 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not THAT familiar to start messing around with capacitors and such. :)

The case is an Antec 300 and it apparently does not have a built in speaker. I could have sworn I used to hear beeps during normal boot-up. Hmmmm....

Anyway, I removed everything one by one and still nothing. No beeps, no nothing... Oh well.

Maybe I'll just go for a new build and get a new PS anyway. I'll try that first on my old computer and then sell the parts if it ended up just being the PS.

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
spintheblackcircle wrote: I'm not THAT familiar to start messing around with capacitors and such. :)

The case is an Antec 300 and it apparently does not have a built in speaker. I could have sworn I used to hear beeps during normal boot-up. Hmmmm....

Anyway, I removed everything one by one and still nothing. No beeps, no nothing... Oh well.

Maybe I'll just go for a new build and get a new PS anyway. I'll try that first on my old computer and then sell the parts if it ended up just being the PS.

Thanks.
Ideally, these type of issues should be troubleshot with all parts removed out of the case on a flat wooden surface. Having a clear visual presentation of all wiring and parts makes troubleshooting easier and better.

Many specialty computer stores will carry some form of a PSU tester which will test all voltages from various types of connectors.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=011599

Before you venture out and purchase another psu, spending a few bucks on this type of a testing tool may be a better option and it will serve you for any future applications when it comes to psu troubleshooting.

I am not a big supporter of a paper clip and psu molex test as it requires the test to be performed with some type of a load. I know many don't follow this procedure and therefore it may harm/damage the psu. A tester is a much better option.

You can also acquire a piezo speaker from this same computer store (even if you decide not to buy a tester for now). Beeping error codes are very useful as it will generally point you in the correct direction of the fault/problem.

Keep us posted. :)
Feb 4, 2007
237 posts
33 upvotes
North York
My guess is video card. If you pull the card out and turn on with no video card and igp, it will still turn with no beep and everything run but no post.

Second guess, PSU, not completely fail, maybe 6 pin power to video is dead,