• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2013 3:37 am
Tags:
None
Aug 12, 2011
539 posts
24 upvotes

Wireless Keyboard security risk?

What's stopping someone from recording keystrokes from wireless keyboards?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
2542 posts
64 upvotes
Mississauga
Range is pretty ***** on most.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2005
5203 posts
2486 upvotes
Vancity
I guess it's technically possible, but why would the spy put some much effort into stealing your keystrokes? Do you have lots of trade secrets? Are you super rich? Some people can have such a serious case of paranoia.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
568 upvotes
Near Toronto
It was a problem in the past but it's been fixed. Encryption on the old keyboards were 8bit XOR.... Very easily cracked in seconds and since the range was 10-20 feet (lots more with a booster antenna) anyone in that range can capture everything you type. Today's keyboards have 128bit or more encryption.

If it's a Bluetooth keyboard then you're fine.

recordman wrote: I guess it's technically possible, but why would the spy put some much effort into stealing your keystrokes? Do you have lots of trade secrets? Are you super rich? Some people can have such a serious case of paranoia.
Are you serious? There's lots of reason someone would like to capture all your keystrokes. Think PASSWORD for one.

I don't think you're paranoid enough. Just because you have your head in the sand doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2005
5203 posts
2486 upvotes
Vancity
If wireless keystroke snooping is such an issue at all, how come we don't hear much about it in the news? I'm no saying it doesn't exist, but the occurrence is very slim. The chance of being hit by a car is a lot higher than your password being stolen by snooping. If one is so paranoid, why even go out when you don't have to?

I'll keep my head in the sand and live comfortably...
signature closed for renovation
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
It is hopeless, NSA already cracked the encryption.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
Ummm...serious?
You realize some people have had their emails for multiple years. If their email is compremised it is like losing your passport. You have to go through hell and back to obtain all your accounts. By the time you get all your accounts in order the damage is done.

Play a game? Have an account worth $1000? Not anymore.
Have business emails? I am sure they won't be happy to be spammed.
So many reasons.
recordman wrote: I guess it's technically possible, but why would the spy put some much effort into stealing your keystrokes? Do you have lots of trade secrets? Are you super rich? Some people can have such a serious case of paranoia.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2007
1912 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
recordman wrote: If wireless keystroke snooping is such an issue at all, how come we don't hear much about it in the news? I'm no saying it doesn't exist, but the occurrence is very slim. The chance of being hit by a car is a lot higher than your password being stolen by snooping. If one is so paranoid, why even go out when you don't have to?

I'll keep my head in the sand and live comfortably...
I don't think relying on the news for information is very smart. Being attacked by a shark is incredibly rare too, but the news turned a few attacks into shark week and made it seem like no one was safe.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
There are many wireless keyboard with encryption. Get the one with AES encryption for peace of mind.
pattern39 wrote: What's stopping someone from recording keystrokes from wireless keyboards?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
Um, so, are you super rich? Do you have lots of trade secrets? No? Then please post here your account numbers and passwords, you don't have anything to lose.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Just use a wired keyboard. Problem solved.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
In banks branches, people are forbidden to use wireless keyboards.
I've seen financial advisers bring their own keyboards because they liked it better and have the manager or a director tell them to remove it ASAP because it was wireless.

Who could make use of the passwords gained? Another employee with access to the work computers, logging in as someone else of course!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)