Rogers Robbers Internet - uses "Virus Scan" to shake you up

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2013 12:41 am
Oct 31, 2002
280 posts
16 upvotes

Rogers Robbers Internet - uses "Virus Scan" to shake you up

Is this an Urban Legend?

My buddy claims Robbers shook him down. Robbers said, via my paraphrasing here... you have a virus and is violating our terms and conditions. Eliminate the virus or we eliminate your service. You have 3 days to comply.

Buddy looks for the virus and comes up empty handed. Next Robbers remotely connects to his pc and finds many instances of virus.

Now the juicy part. Robbers offers a one time fix for $89.99 and on-going virus scans for $14.99 per month.

Is this even Robbers shaking him up or a third party scammer doing this?

Epilogue, Buddy is going over to Start Communications.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
try this... disconnect all devices from wifi and remove all computers from the network. leave your router plugged in and call rogers and ask if they still see any viruses.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3737 upvotes
Montreal
You called them Robbers. That's so clever! You're a hilarious guy. You should go on a comedy tour.

Also, stupid names for companies are against the forum rules.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
I would imagine this has happened, although it was extremely unlikely that the person actually worked for Rogers. It was more likely that there was no viruses and the caller was a scammer who claimed to work for Rogers and didn't actually scan for anything.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: You called them Robbers. That's so clever! You're a hilarious guy. You should go on a comedy tour.

Also, stupid names for companies are against the forum rules.
:facepalm:

Go stand in the corner and don't move.

No, actually stand on your head and count to one thousand.

Ever heard of the name "Robelus"?

Robbers/Bhell/Telus..get it?
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
213 upvotes
This is like Microsoft Tech support scam. THis is is not Robbers.
I know one of friend had this "virus". And worst part is happened two times. people never learn about scammers.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2013
1491 posts
611 upvotes
Markham
Somthing similar happened to me a LONG time ago. I'm talking like at least 7-8 years ago. We actually did find a virus though but our antivirus program was out of date or something and couldn't delete/quarantine it... long story short we had to reformat the computer and no more problems after that.

My case they didn't offer any solution though... Nor did they give me 3 days to "comply." They just cut our connection... So maybe your friend's case is actually a scam lol.

See if he still has a connection 3 days later lol. *edit. unless he's already with Start.
Jan 13, 2013
243 posts
24 upvotes
Edmonton
3 years ago in Toronto my internet stopped working, so I called Rogers. They said there was a virus on one of my computers and that I need to fix it and my connection would come back in a few hours, but they didn't want any money to fix it, or they didn't say they'd cancel my service. So this virus thingy may actually happen, only on Rogers lol
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
They do monitor their network and may disconnect you if there's evidence some virus/bot net is dancing around your PC(s). Regarding the 'pay' portion this sounds fishy. From experience they do threaten to disconnect if you don't clean up the PC but they cannot impose any fine or virus service charge on you.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
eldiablo wrote: :facepalm:

Go stand in the corner and don't move.

No, actually stand on your head and count to one thousand.

Ever heard of the name "Robelus"?

Robbers/Bhell/Telus..get it?
How come Telus doesn't have a nickname?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
board123 wrote: How come Telus doesn't have a nickname?
Not sure? Not enough people are peed-off maybe or their public relations are doing a better job than the other two...?

Never dealt with Telus but do have a huge gripe with the other two.
Jan 13, 2013
243 posts
24 upvotes
Edmonton
board123 wrote: How come Telus doesn't have a nickname?
TELUS is actually the worst; 1 GB overage is $51.2 on their new Share Plus plans (I got charged $29 for 19 MB lol I don't know which kind of Math their system using -got it fixed later-).. but there's no evil word close to TELUS, sadly you can't change it with just 1 or 2 letters :( it's so easy with Rogers>Robbers, Bell>Bhell
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
actually rogers does disconnect users if they suspect them of virus infection.
this is not unheard of. rogers on occasion will scan their clients ports for backdoor exploits.
if detected they will send an email or letter in the mail or wait for the customer to call when they realize they have no internet and inform them to clean up.
however i have never heard of them connecting remotely to a customers computer to diagnose.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
I can vouch that rogers monitors their network for unusual traffic. Many years ago, my router started misbehaving and doing ip requests constantly. I got a phone call telling me to uplug or replace my router within 48 hours or my connection would be cut until the problem is resolved. Never heard from them after I replaced the router the next day. It is unusual that they would sell antivirus services.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3784 posts
181 upvotes
Barrie
Scam

If Rogers finds out you have a virus thats using your computer as a bot they will cut you off without a 3 day warning. Rogers also wont charge you almost $90 to run a virus scan, in fact if you ask a tech agent about it they will direct you to their free antivirus software on their website.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.