• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2013 6:25 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 11, 2005
900 posts
27 upvotes

Magic Jack or OBiTalk?

So I have a relative in south asia to whom i want to sent either a magic jack or obi100 so i can talk to them free. I just bought an obi100 and going to hook it up with voip.ms. i understand that Obi to obi is free and doesn't require a number. Is that the same for magic jack. Do i need two magic jacks one for me and one for the other party?

thanks
9 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
magic jack just gives a local number so theres no such thing similar to obitalk, with it you can call a land/mobile line directly

if you are going with obi - obi then you don't even need voip.ms
The sweetest gyal
Jul 11, 2005
900 posts
27 upvotes
sexyj wrote: magic jack just gives a local number so theres no such thing similar to obitalk, with it you can call a land/mobile line directly

if you are going with obi - obi then you don't even need voip.ms
Thanks,
I am going to use obi100 with voip.ms. I am just wondering if i should send magic jack plus back home or obi. Does anyone has experience with any of them?
Jan 20, 2013
584 posts
147 upvotes
Woodbridge
I am using MJ plus for almost two years. i did initial setup here, once, then sent it oversea.
dead simple, no need to be savvy on far end. just plug cables and use.
over all, 3-5 times restarted (power off-on)
quality pretty acceptable. plus they could call not just to you if you have relatives here or to your cell at any time. it's unlimited north america calls.
I would not use it as a primary home line, but to be in touch with family - perfect
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
any reason why you would not use MJ as a primary home line? thanks
vnkvnk wrote: I am using MJ plus for almost two years. i did initial setup here, once, then sent it oversea.
dead simple, no need to be savvy on far end. just plug cables and use.
over all, 3-5 times restarted (power off-on)
quality pretty acceptable. plus they could call not just to you if you have relatives here or to your cell at any time. it's unlimited north america calls.
I would not use it as a primary home line, but to be in touch with family - perfect
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
259 upvotes
Vancouver
I use a Magicjack at home and a my friend overseas only uses the Magicjack app on their phone and they can call me for free.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
1064 posts
175 upvotes
scoobydoo wrote: I use a Magicjack at home and a my friend overseas only uses the Magicjack app on their phone and they can call me for free.
And if you only plan on using the magicjack or Obi to call your friend overseas and not as your home phone, you both could use the magicjack app so you wouldn't have to buy anything. Fongo also has an app which allows you to call free to most locations in Canada over wifi to any number, even to regular phone numbers. They also give you a phone number which anybody can call. I live in a small town in Ontario and I was able to get a local number. Your friend would have to get a Canadian number too.
Jul 11, 2005
900 posts
27 upvotes
So let me get this...

I have an Obi100 which i am going to hookup with voip.ms. So if i send a magic jack plus overseas, they can call me free? Even though i don't have a magic jack?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes
shampoo wrote: So let me get this...

I have an Obi100 which i am going to hookup with voip.ms. So if i send a magic jack plus overseas, they can call me free? Even though i don't have a magic jack?
Obi to Obi is free (if you're going through their portal/special obi phone numbers).

Magicjack to voip.ms = you need $$ to cover the incoming fees (like 0.001/mins, don't remember).

Basically, any incoming/outgoing phone calls made through voip.ms (via your Obi ATA adapter) is going to cost you money.

If you want to keep things free, you'd both need Obi devices, connected on the internet and a phone.
Jan 20, 2013
584 posts
147 upvotes
Woodbridge
82 wrote: any reason why you would not use MJ as a primary home line? thanks
yes, past experience. I had two MJ. Second been used, when my daughter was studying away from home, VOIP was not so popular as today. She had it in Kingston and any one could call her using 416 number. however, if you get some glitch, almost impossible to fix it. I'd say, there are sitting some monkeys, how knows some very basic stuff. I've been trying long tome to fix it- no luck, just give up this number.
Also it was more than usual distortions, disconnections etc. for call to my family, when I do not mind to redial - it's fine with me. But I wouldn't use it as a primary home line (BTW, currently use voip.ms as a primary home line, no complains)