• Nov 27th, 2013 9:12 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 12, 2003
41 posts
Ottawa

Considering 13" Macbook Air - Advice??

Hello everyone,

I have been looking for a laptop with a high resolution display and a good battery life for a while. Though there are other options, it appears that the Macbook Air blows them out of the water with a supposedly 12 hour battery life, even if it's 8 thats still amazing.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this? Is there any other laptops with a good resolution screen and half-decent battery life?
48 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2251 upvotes
Canadia
The new Macbook Air gets good battery life because of the energy-efficient Intel Haswell processor, not because it's an Apple.

Haswell-based ultrabooks from Sony, Lenovo, Acer and others are beginning to hit the market at around the same price; if you've been using Windows for years and have purchased lots of software, it might be foolish to migrate to MacOS.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1071 posts
121 upvotes
just one - don't try to save $100 by getting the 4gb version. Get the 8gb instead.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1974 posts
216 upvotes
bryanwf wrote: Hello everyone,

I have been looking for a laptop with a high resolution display and a good battery life for a while. Though there are other options, it appears that the Macbook Air blows them out of the water with a supposedly 12 hour battery life, even if it's 8 thats still amazing.
I have a friend who bought one of these at the beginning of the summer and she says it really does get the great battery life they claim but attributes it to the fact that Apple did not succumb to the temptation to put in a high resolution screen, that's what their pro is for she sayys. It also doesn't have a touchscreen which is so popular these days but also consumes power. This machine is made for those who value serious battery life above all other things, though she says it has a cracking good touchpad too. Too expensive for my money, but it is a beautifully made machine to handle.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
The screen sucks. Mid range res and viewing angles are terrible.
Sep 19, 2013
958 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
If battery life is your top priority then you really can't go wrong with the MBA. There's also the Sony VAIO Pro 13 that you might want to take a look at. It's got very similar specs but with a 1080p touchscreen and you can get about the same battery life with the sheet battery attachment. It does cost more though so the MBA might be your best bet.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
8454 posts
3628 upvotes
On a side note, be prepared to spend money on exclusive Mac programs or run windows.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
4498 posts
6936 upvotes
Somewhere in AB
skinnyp wrote: just one - don't try to save $100 by getting the 4gb version. Get the 8gb instead.
Thanks. What about 1.7 GHZ as opposed to 1.3 GHZ? Worth the $150 premium?
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
3209 posts
1742 upvotes
Markham
bryanwf wrote: Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this? Is there any other laptops with a good resolution screen and half-decent battery life?
The upcoming (oct/nov) Lenovo T440s would fill your requirements. Pricing should end up around the same as the Macbook Air.

Specs wise:
- 14" 1600x900 IPS or 1920x1080 IPS display
- 3.5lbs
- i5 4200u or i7 4500u
- 4-12GB of RAM
- 500GB 7200rpm + 24GB SSD or full 120-256GB SSD
- Has 1 built in 3 cell battery and one removable 3 cell or optional 6 cell battery (Should give ~7-8hrs with 3 cell and ~10-11hrs with 6 cell)
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
TuxedoBlack wrote: Thanks. What about 1.7 GHZ as opposed to 1.3 GHZ? Worth the $150 premium?
It depends on how long you are going to keep the unit and what programs you are going to run.
I also recommend getting the $100 RAM upgrade.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
2020 posts
193 upvotes
Marbella
skinnyp wrote: just one - don't try to save $100 by getting the 4gb version. Get the 8gb instead.
Just got one with 4GB of memory and don't see any issues with it. I tried Final Cut Pro and works as well as my Macbook pro and my Mac mini.
Mac OS is Unix/Linux based and manages memory better then windows machine.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
2020 posts
193 upvotes
Marbella
Kasakato wrote: The screen sucks. Mid range res and viewing angles are terrible.
What are you talking about???
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
2020 posts
193 upvotes
Marbella
Kasakato wrote: The viewing angles are terrible?
I'm not sure what u are looking at. I don't see any issues
Sep 19, 2013
958 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Macbook Air myself and the viewing angles aren't any different than all of the other laptops out there. [...]
Feb 5, 2008
129 posts
7 upvotes
I had purchased an Air in September but unfortunately had to return it (do to unforeseen income issues).
I had the i7-8gb version and I would get 9-10 hours of battery life on it doing intense work. That is even whole using bootcamp.

Really don't need the i7 as it's only beneficial marginally. It does more work faster at the cost of battery. You're looking at building a project (from source code) maybe 10 seconds faster.

Build quality is unmatched by anyone and the screen is perfectly fine unless you decide that you want to use it on stupid angles.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
ancnfamily wrote: I'm not sure what u are looking at. I don't see any issues
Compared to a MBP, its pretty bad. Resolution is also low compared to other ultrabooks.
Nfsryder wrote: I have a Macbook Air myself and the viewing angles aren't any different than all of the other laptops out there. [...]
Sorry bud. I've had a Mac for the past 4 years.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
2020 posts
193 upvotes
Marbella
Nfsryder wrote: I have a Macbook Air myself and the viewing angles aren't any different than all of the other laptops out there. [...]

In a same price range it is same if not better.
Feb 5, 2008
129 posts
7 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: Compared to a MBP, its pretty bad. Resolution is also low compared to other ultrabooks.
Other Ultra books are made cheaply. They use ***** hardware and of course their OS isn't optimized for the hardware.
Also you are comparing a Macbook Air (designed for the travel, the person that doesn't have a desk and has to be mobile) to a Macbook Pro (which is designed for power users and has clearly less battery life, you know due to the CPU/screen/etc).

Also the cMBP screen isn't any better then the Air. Unless you are refering the rMBP.
Starting prices:
Macbook Air: $999 (10-14hrs battery life)
Macbook Pro: $1,199 13"/ $1,799 15" (~4-6hrs battery life)
Macbook Pro Retina: $1,499 13"/$2,199 15"
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
Earache wrote: Other Ultra books are made cheaply. They use ***** hardware and of course their OS isn't optimized for the hardware.
Also you are comparing a Macbook Air (designed for the travel, the person that doesn't have a desk and has to be mobile) to a Macbook Pro (which is designed for power users and has clearly less battery life, you know due to the CPU/screen/etc).

Also the cMBP screen isn't any better then the Air. Unless you are refering the rMBP.
Starting prices:
Macbook Air: $999 (10-14hrs battery life)
Macbook Pro: $1,199 13"/ $1,799 15" (~4-6hrs battery life)
Macbook Pro Retina: $1,499 13"/$2,199 15"
What Ultrabooks are you comparing to?