• Oct 10th, 2013 3:54 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
1270 posts
258 upvotes

Samsung TV Disaster at Best Buy

So I moved into my new apartment and was looking for a TV as I did not have one.

-I bought the one from best buy during the promo where you got the small tv free. (samsung 55F7100)

-Two weeks later I saw Futureshop was having their VIP sale. I wanted to return the tv and get the F8000 for the same corst from futureshop but Best Buy told me they would price match the F7100 and so they did a mock exchange for the same product and returned the small tv for cash which was fine as that is what I wanted.

-Three days later the tv had a couple of random dead pixel show up. This was under a month of owning a "brand new" tv.

- Took it back to best buy and exchanged it for a new piece

-Got home, unboxed and saw some pixels that looked stuck and ignored it. Two days later the tv refused to switch on and kept flashing. Looked it up on google and it said a failing mother board.

-Now all this was at the Mississauga heartland bestbuy so this time I took it to the sherway one to exchange.

-Brought a brand new box home, again... open the box dead pixels on start up screen....

-Went back to the heartland best buy fuming and demanding they unbox and check the tv before the exchange to avoid this dance. By this time I had already unboxed three tv's and did not care about the unboxing. They opened it and checked it clumsily as expected and there are no dead pixels.

-Took it home happy thinking I could finally enjoy this tv and chose to unbox it the following day.

-The next day I opened the tv and started screwing on the stand only to find a 1 our 4 holes to screw in was not drilled in. These tv are made electronically so how could Samsung have missed putting a hole

-Went to best buy again, gave back the tv as they laughed when I said there was no screw hold. They said you have bad luck with this tv and maybe you were not meant to have this tv. Got pissed when they said I had no choice but to keep trying my luck with the current batch and told them to give me my money back which again was a long process due to some policy of how they cannot return a tv back to credit card that was COMPROMISED and was replaced by a new one and it need to go to a gift card.

Note my car is not big enough so I had to bug our parents to lend us their car to drop and pick this tv up. I also had to pack the tv perfectly else I was threatened with being charged restocking fees. Both of which added to the frustration.

Now I have no tv and most likely will not till black friday/ boxing day as there is no way the f8000 will be coming down to 1999.99 any time soon :'(
36 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
4107 posts
1543 upvotes
Ontario
I don't get what the issue is? They gave you your money back.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
1270 posts
258 upvotes
shopper_of_things wrote: Next time just massage the dead pixels back to life.
Tried everything, massaging, color switching, eraser method.

The issue is the batch of samsung tvs leaving best buy.... i guess you believe its acceptable having the consumer go back and forth 5 times for a tv???
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Why would you keep getting the same TV? I had a similar issue with a TV, and after the second one, I just replaced it for another brand, as Best Buy does not manufacture the TV's.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
1270 posts
258 upvotes
LostInTruth wrote: Why would you keep getting the same TV? I had a similar issue with a TV, and after the second one, I just replaced it for another brand, as Best Buy does not manufacture the TV's.
Why? because that is the tv I wanted. Well a samsung tv. I chalk it up to a bad batch.

I like the sony w90 but the remote sucks when you need to browse the web which most might not care about but I like to when in a rush.

No, what I did not like was Best Buy's attitude, you think after 4 tv exchanges they would just let me come back a couple weeks later and buy one that is not defective in some way. Anyways I know they do not do rain checks so I am SOL
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
scorpion2886 wrote: Why? because that is the tv I wanted. Well a samsung tv. I chalk it up to a bad batch.

I like the sony w90 but the remote sucks when you need to browse the web which most might not care about but I like to when in a rush.

No, what I did not like was Best Buy's attitude, you think after 4 tv exchanges they would just let me come back a couple weeks later and buy one that is not defective in some way. Anyways I know they do not do rain checks so I am SOL
If 4 different TV's gave you so many problems, I wouldn't trust that particular TV or maybe there was another Best Buy you could have went to?
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
It's not BB's fault. In fact, their good return/exchange policy means you're not stuck with something that sucks and a gaping hole in your pocket where a couple thou used to be. Use that money, visit a place outside of North America, and see what return policies are like (hint: nonexistent in most places).
scorpion2886 wrote: No, what I did not like was Best Buy's attitude, you think after 4 tv exchanges they would just let me come back a couple weeks later and buy one that is not defective in some way.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
8018 posts
1780 upvotes
Toronto
scorpion2886 wrote: Why? because that is the tv I wanted. Well a samsung tv. I chalk it up to a bad batch.

Now why would they do that? They only sell you ones that are defective so they can see you haul it back and forth
Deal Expert
Jun 11, 2007
15775 posts
1685 upvotes
Maple Ridge
I remember many years ago my ex-manager had to exchange his laptop 5-6 times in future shop.
I love my toy poodle Taffy and making greeting cards:

https://taffylove.com/
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
Not Best Buys fault. They do not manufacture the product and it is not realistic for them to test every product they sell especially since people would then accuse them of selling open box items as new. They gave the OP their money back as per their policy which is all that can be expected.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Hunter316 wrote: Not Best Buys fault. They do not manufacture the product and it is not realistic for them to test every product they sell especially since people would then accuse them of selling open box items as new. They gave the OP their money back as per their policy which is all that can be expected.
Yep. Op should be blaming himself for his bad luck.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for posting. My next TV will definitely be purchased at Best Buy now that I have first hand proof of their return policy. If you're not a shill working for Best Buy's marketing department they should hire you on the spot to post this 'disastrous' series of events. It would definitely help their bottom line.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
sandikosh wrote: Yep. Op should be blaming himself for his bad luck.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but as you stated it is just bad luck or bad and blaming Best Buy for it makes no sense. If anyone or entity is to blame then blame Samsung for poor quality control on this particular model.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2005
1064 posts
66 upvotes
Downtown TO
Hunter316 wrote: Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but as you stated it is just bad luck or bad and blaming Best Buy for it makes no sense. If anyone or entity is to blame then blame Samsung for poor quality control on this particular model.
+1 Sounds like it was a bad batch from Samsung.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
60 upvotes
Mississauga
Sounds like he should change the topic title to 'Samsung tv disaster'... and thank best buy for their return policy.

It's not best buys fault you do not have a mode of transportation for the tv either. Geez.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5148 posts
1070 upvotes
I dont know why your po'd at best buy their return policy bailed you out.
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
So the company's fantastic return policy saved you a lot of money and you wasted time because of weird brand loyalty/insistence? What is the problem here? You are lucky, many stores these days will give you a hard time even doing one exchange. Try returning a TV from Gibby's or 2001 A/V sometime, let me know how that goes.

This should be "Samsung TV nightmare, Best Buy saves the day". I don't even care for Best Buy but they did right by you here and if you fail to see that then I'm not sure what else to say to that sort of entitlement complex.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
What bad luck, or you are incredibly picky. In all my years (20+) of buying televisions and computer monitors, I have never had a dead pixel. In fact, I've only ever had one television actually die on me and it was well over 10 years old; replacements have always been for other reasons.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
1270 posts
258 upvotes
[QUOTE]Thanks for posting. My next TV will definitely be purchased at Best Buy now that I have first hand proof of their return policy. If you're not a shill working for Best Buy's marketing department they should hire you on the spot to post this 'disastrous' series of events. It would definitely help their bottom line.[/QUOTE]

LOL... I can be the unlucky face to market the extended warranty.

As far as the bad luck yeah I guess I certainly do have it as the Best Buy employee said: "Maybe its not your destiny to have this tv"
I have never had a problem with any samsung devices or tv's before so I am quite surprised of the drop in quality control.

I never blamed best buy for the issue or criticized their return policy; I get that they are just the retailers. Neither, did I blame bestbuy for the size of the tv in relation to the capacity of my car. I simply stated it as part of my story of hauling these tv's back and forth and the annoyance it caused. People who state complete nonsensical conclusions from my post, learn to read... I only relayed the DISASTER I had at Best Buy and their unwillingness to provide a better solution which is an opinion that I can state regardless of what the judgmental believe. I do not think expecting no dead pixels on the first day or being able to screw on the stand is being picky. Nor do I think expecting some sort of solution to having me go back and forth with a tv that clearly has a defective batch is me having an entitlement complex... I did not put this here to whine on garner sympathy as some troublemakers have made this out to be. So I could do without the wise cracks...

Maybe I should change the name to Samsung Disaster at Best Buy to avoid the pointless remarks. No, what am I thinking; trolls don't care about titles!!! :D

Anyways, I put this here to let other people who are looking for a f7100 at best buy know that I have come across 4 tvs from them that are defective out of the box and they should be aware before they take the plunge and to see if anyone else has had this problem with this tv. I am just upset that I had to go to several best buy's and haul this tv back and forth and they still would not give me an option to buy this tv from a different batch instead of telling me my only option is to play the tv lottery or wait till the next batch where the tv would not be on sale. They obviously refused to admit that 4 tv's later it might be a bad batch. I would think if that were true they would let the consumer put in an order and wait for the next batch. Is that really expecting too much after playing the lottery 4 times? :o

So, the tv hunt is back on. After unboxing it and repackaging it 4 times, the f7100 has lost its appeal. Will be looking at the f8000 whenever it hits 1999.99 again which won't happen anytime soon. Maybe just to be safe, I should go take a shower with holy water or visit a shaman to get rid of this bad juju :cheesygri