• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2013 6:13 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 22, 2010
908 posts
86 upvotes

Cancelling Expedia hotel reservations

Has anyone ever had experience cancelling an Expedia.ca hotel reservation? I want to book a hotel that has "Free Cancellation (up to 24 hours before) with them but the trip is 50/50 so I want to be sure that they charge absolutely no fee and it's a no frills process. From what I can see in their T&C, I don't get charged anything, unless of course there is no free cancellation or I try to cancel with less than 24 hours left. Can anyone verify this?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1468 posts
990 upvotes
If I need to cancel my hotel reservation, will I receive a refund?
You can cancel your hotel reservation through your itinerary on Expedia. Before you make any changes or cancellations, please check the rules and restrictions associated with the hotel and room type booked to determine whether you can receive a refund. The rules and restrictions are located at the bottom of your itinerary.
http://support.expedia.ca/app/answers/d ... YUxIQ2w%3D

Expedia does not charge fees for changes or cancellations; however, when the hotel charges such fees in accordance with its own policies, the cost will be passed on to you. Please note that some room types are fully non-refundable from the time they are booked. Additionally, hotels will generally charge a fee if cancellation occurs within 48 to 24 hours of the scheduled arrival. Rules vary by hotel and room type, so it is important to check the rules associated with your booking.

If you have booked a refundable hotel room, we will process your refund on the day of your cancellation. Most credit card companies will post the refund to your account within one to two weeks and to your statement within one to two billing cycles. If you do not see the proper amount on your credit card statement after two billing cycles, call Expedia Customer Support at 1-800-869-4497.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
I have cancelled several reservations without issue, it is typically able to be done online and works great. The only catch is that if your reservation is in a different currency (like US dollars) then you end up being refunded a different amount because it is refunded in the currency you purchased, which fluctuates (and your credit card typically has a fee associated with the conversion). Sometimes it has worked out better, sometimes it has worked out worse.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
Sometimes, the rates for reservations with cancellation are pretty much the same as booking directly through the hotel. You might want to try that to keep things simple.