• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2013 9:27 am
Tags:
None
Mar 17, 2007
205 posts
79 upvotes

Lag/Freeze/Buffering Issue when Streaming

Looking to see if someone here can help me with this ongoing issue.

Problem: I stream movies and shows from a jailbroken Apple TV2 as well as watch/stream live hockey games from www.hockeystreams.com. My internet provider is Bell and package is 25/10 (25=download/10=upload). While watching High Def content I experience a freeze or lag every 4-6 seconds while watching hockey on hockeystreams.com, if I switch to Standard Def there is NO freeze or lag at all. While watching movies/shows on Apple TV it buffers once and awhile, never really a smooth ongoing show. The weird thing is when I do a speed test to check my connection I am getting great speeds when I am wireless or hardwire through Ethernet cable (obviously better speeds when i am connected) but I still experience lag/freeze/buffering!!

Here is what I have done already:
- Rebooted modem (put it through a reboot cycle, pulled plug and reconnected 3 times in a row)
- I've downloaded the newest version of Flash (I stream hockey through my macbook pro)
- I've tried hockey games on 3 different browsers (Safari, Chrome and FireFox)
- I've contact Bell several times, I've got a Bell tech guy to come in and switch the modem with a new modem.
- I've deleted all cookies, caches, unused software from my macbook aka cleared up memory

Someone please help. Bottom line is: I experience lag/freeze/buffering when my internet speeds are up to speed. I live in an apartment the modem is literally 6 feet away from the Apple TV box (when wireless) and 3 feet away from my lap top when I am on the couch (wireless). Nothing is blocking the modem or no wall are in the way. Wireless or Hardwired I still experience freeze/lag/buffering when watching shows.

Has anyone experienced this problem!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2175 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
So you experience lag whether your wired or wireless? Whether your watching it on your Apple TV or Macbook?

Have you tried updating the codec (if its applicable) on your Apple TV?

What kind of router are you using? Have you updated the F/W on the said router?
Mar 17, 2007
205 posts
79 upvotes
Ironsmack wrote: So you experience lag whether your wired or wireless? Whether your watching it on your Apple TV or Macbook?

Have you tried updating the codec (if its applicable) on your Apple TV?

What kind of router are you using? Have you updated the F/W on the said router?
Yes, experience lag when wired and wireless on my macbook or Apple TV.

The router I am using is what Bell has provided, a Sagemcom F@st.. again I am on the 25/10 internet package.

2 weeks ago I wasn't experiencing these problem, never changed any settings.. just started lag/freezing/buffering one day when I was watching a live stream from hockeystreams.com.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
It could be that the streaming server is unable to fill the demand.
Mar 17, 2007
205 posts
79 upvotes
alkizmo wrote: It could be that the streaming server is unable to fill the demand.
The streaming site (hockeystreams.com) has a chat below the stream, viewers are always talking about the game and no one is ever complaining about lag/freeze/buffering. They also stream OHL games (not many people watch OHL vs NHL) I've tried watching a OHL game and I still experience lag/freeze/buffering.

Remember this problem only happens when I am streaming HD content. If I watch SD (standard def) content it is fine.
Nov 14, 2008
857 posts
325 upvotes
can you stream a movie from your macbook pro to your apple tv without the lag?