Shopping Discussion

Monoprice - Large Order Duties and Taxes?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2013 1:25 pm
Oct 28, 2012
288 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto

Monoprice - Large Order Duties and Taxes?

Hello all,

I'm planing to buy 2 27" IPS Monitors (~400$ each), 2 VESA Arm Mounts (~25$ Each), and a few other things. With shipping the bill came to 1100$.
Exactly how much am I expected to pay for duties etc...?

I know probably unless they charge 500$ for the duties and taxes buying it from them will be cheaper.

Example, same monitor specs from Dell equaled 1800$ for the 2 monitors, the arm mounts from BestBuy was 80$ each and other things added up to 400$ extra. (Without any taxes). It came close to 3000$.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I'm assuming you're shipping to Canada? If so, brokerage is included in UPS Air but you will have to pay GST/PST/HST.
I don't think anything you listed has duty.
I'd say you're safe with about $150 in taxes. YMMV.
Dec 25, 2006
659 posts
17 upvotes
Woodstock, NB
have you not considered two of the qnix 27" korean monitors? The PLS panel is superior picture quality, cheaper to buy, cheaper customs, etc

I own one of the first monoprice 27" LG ips lcds (went though 3 of them before finally getting one that wasnt plagued with dead or bright pixels.

I also currently own 3 matte qnix dvi displays (all overclocked to 120), and 1 displayport/hdmi/dvi model of the qnix aswell.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
No duty on monitors (as opposed to TVs).

Not sure what many RFD'ers mean when they use the term "duties". I think many times they are meaning brokerage fees and associated charges.

If the order is coming Ground from the U.S. then sure, there will be brokerage to pay.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
macnut wrote: Not sure what many RFD'ers mean when they use the term "duties". I think many times they are meaning brokerage fees and associated charges.
If you're referring to me, I mean duty aka the additional taxes that are levied on some items on top of brokerage fees and associated charges.
Non NAFTA clothing for example has the highest duty rate of almost any "normal" item you can import. It's around 30% if I remember right. That's on top of the fees a brokerage house charges to do the paper work (and additional line fees, bonding fees, etc) and any provincial taxes you'd normally pay.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
death_hawk wrote: If you're referring to me, I mean duty ....
No, I meant the OP and others in previous similar threads who use the word duty in the plural. You used it in the singular and it's clear what you are referring to.

As you say, items either have import duty applied to them or they don't.

Sales tax is generally unavoidable and is a known quantity, but sizeable brokerage fees and advancement fees with sales tax applied on top are what first-timers should fear.

It just seems to me that those unknown and potentially large charges are often erroneously referred to as "duties".
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
If you are referring to "brokerage" fees it depends on which shipper they use. I believer DHL and UPS are the two they use for larger shipments and DHL charges 2.5% of the value while UPS will rob you blind. I have been raped once by UPS and it will never happen again. I haven't used DHL but that is what I have dug up in the past.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Lumber-jack wrote: If you are referring to "brokerage" fees it depends on which shipper they use. I believer DHL and UPS are the two they use for larger shipments and DHL charges 2.5% of the value while UPS will rob you blind. I have been raped once by UPS and it will never happen again. I haven't used DHL but that is what I have dug up in the past.
While true most of the time, in this case Monoprice only offers UPS Air options which include basic brokerage fees. Where they will get you is line fees though. This stacks with Monoprice and their stupid automated HS system where they won't combine similar SKUs into one line. The best example would be if you were to order 10 HDMI cables in varying colors. Instead of listing a single line of 10 HDMI, each color gets a new line. Since UPS (and most brokerage firms) charge per line over X, it adds up quickly.

Oh and DHL charges $14 unless it's a higher value shipment in which cause I think the 2.5% applies.

I'm actually sad that Monoprice doesn't ship via Ground to Canada any more. I clear my own shipments and it's a cheaper way to ship than UPS Air.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)