• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2013 6:38 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 12, 2010
818 posts
289 upvotes

What do you do with your tablet?

I just recently bought a Nexus 7 and I am having a hard time debating if I should keep it or not. I won't be using it much for school since I have an ultrabook. But what are your uses for tablets? The only reason why I am having such a hard time is because the screen is so nice on this thing. But let's get your opinion first.
18 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12253 posts
858 upvotes
E-reader.
Movie consumption, in bed and on the road.
Email + web when I don't really want a PC with me.
Remote access to HTPCs, server.
Child distraction.
Video chat.
Alarm clock.
Probably a few more things, but that's what springs to mind.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
I find them pretty useless, 99% of people use it as stool tools ! ...LoL
Your smartphone and Android mini PC combo does everything and better than a tablet.
The only good reason for having one is to use it as a 7" GPS, other than that it is an artsy fartsy person's gadget !
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12253 posts
858 upvotes
EdT586 wrote: I find them pretty useless, 99% of people use it as stool tools ! ...LoL
Your smartphone and Android mini PC combo does everything and better than a tablet.
The only good reason for having one is to use it as a 7" GPS, other than that it is an artsy fartsy person's gadget !
Some tremendous insight here.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
I don't have a tablet, but my parents have an ipad I use whenever I visit. The only thing I can see that it's better than a smartphone is when it comes to reading and watching movies. The tablet gives you a bigger viewing area and lets you get more than one page on screen at a time. Otherwise the phone is far more convenient.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
Since we got tablet, we have no more mags/newspapers in our bathroom ;)
Jan 12, 2010
818 posts
289 upvotes
Well time for the N7 to go back tmr lol. I dont really have a use for it
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
Menace wrote: Since we got tablet, we have no more mags/newspapers in our bathroom ;)
If you do that and decide to return it, though, your return could be denied as it would be flagged as a "bathroom tablet"....
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
To answer the thread title... Nothing, it's useless. Maybe it's because I have a crappy Chinese tablet, or maybe it's because I really don't have much use for one.

Anyway, right now I'm using it at work purely for emails. Sometimes I take it to meetings if I don't feel like lugging my laptop around.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2013
1615 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
Using it as a second monitor and create content in Procreate, but that's my specialty, for all other things a smartphone is all a person actually "needs.

Tablets are incredibly unergonomic, they are difficult to hold and people invent all kinds of ways to attach a case to it, which makes it basically a laptop.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
I barely used mine, so I sold it

My phablet does everything just as good
ShadowVlican
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10545 posts
4142 upvotes
Toronto
I leave mine on the table 24/7.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2865 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
Streaming videos, watching netflix, or just watching movies from my personal collection while I cook in the kitchen. Music sometimes too, but seldom.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3917 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
Websurfer, XBMC remote, and the sixaxis app paired with a FPS makes a nice personal FPS console.
You say get high, I say hello!
Sep 20, 2013
263 posts
20 upvotes
I bought a N7 2012 really late in the cycle as my first and I use that thing a lot. Mainly I feel chained and encumbered by a laptop (what the hecks that?) and my desktop. Recently bought the N7 2013 and love the speed bump but this is more to do with the fact that my '12 was perpetually stuck in Safe Mode so I had no choice. Couldn't install any apps although if you looked at my data usage history, Youtube takes 80% of the data consumption and power pie chart. I love the tablet for convenience, ease of use and minimal footprint. Typing on anything except a keyboard still remains a big hurdle.

I use to harbour this mindset that a tablet was a useless invention created for people with extra disposable income but you really need to give it a try before you dismiss it entirely. Can't live without it to be honest.
Banned
Jan 9, 2012
201 posts
25 upvotes
Elmira
I had one for a couple years and barely used it. I recently sold it. Just didn't need it.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
248 upvotes
I think the problem is that it's harder to stream and do stuff on a tablet like watching something from a putlocker link for example and some people get frustrated by it and give up. If you can actually figure out how to do certain things on tablets then they're pretty useful.