Computers & Electronics

How Rampant Is Torrent Downloading In Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2014 4:53 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto

How Rampant Is Torrent Downloading In Canada?

*title*

includes Movies, Software, books, etc.
23 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
Torrents are just a file sharing system, most linux distributions use it and quite a lot of files that are quite large and need a shared downloading option find this form advantageous.... so yes 'rampant' could be descriptive, but for the uncommon tone and advertisement of your youtube link.

Akin to spam
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
http://torrentfreak.com/researchers-exp ... rs-120831/

Might help to get a general idea of who's using the service. Of course, that's on the uploader side.

Interesting that some big torrenters are obviously significant users of tunnels. So regional statistics may not be all that useful/accurate. Inside a tunnel, of course, a service provider has no way of determining the nature of the traffic.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
There are also those who use P2P for other purposes, like PPLive.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
alkizmo wrote: There are also those who use P2P for other purposes, like PPLive.
The torrenting numbers were said to be absolutely crazy 5 years ago when the Bell / Rogers throttling was really being ramped up with Sandvine equipment.

However, recently, I've read that Netflix and other legit "paid" and even 'free' services have really taken over on the traffic front. As they are accessible to people other than your run-of-the-mill computer nerds.

Cisco publishes some fairly comprehensive reports of Internet traffic by region, and future demand growth projections. I don't have the URLs handy, but they can give you an insight into how much of a load torrenting is for service providers.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
514 upvotes
GVR
Mark77 wrote: The torrenting numbers were said to be absolutely crazy 5 years ago when the Bell / Rogers throttling was really being ramped up with Sandvine equipment.

However, recently, I've read that Netflix and other legit "paid" and even 'free' services have really taken over on the traffic front. As they are accessible to people other than your run-of-the-mill computer nerds.

Cisco publishes some fairly comprehensive reports of Internet traffic by region, and future demand growth projections. I don't have the URLs handy, but they can give you an insight into how much of a load torrenting is for service providers.
I think a big part of it (at least outside of the US) has been the rise of DNS and VPN aimed at regular consumers.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21785 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Music downloading is legal here. Uploading isn't.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
Mark77 wrote: The torrenting numbers were said to be absolutely crazy 5 years ago when the Bell / Rogers throttling was really being ramped up with Sandvine equipment.

Netflix actually uses Torrent sites for figuring out what content to get... It's a pretty clever move on their part to find consumer demand.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: Music downloading is legal here. Uploading isn't.
That goes for all copyrighted material. Distributing/Duplicating is the illegal part.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2009
1461 posts
787 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
Piro21 wrote: Music downloading is legal here. Uploading isn't.
Are you sure about that?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
what is this... a homework question?...
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
ugly wrote: Are you sure about that?
Last I checked, C-11 (I believe the only relevant bill regarding this situation that was ever passed into law) has nothing to do with the changing of the "downloading for your own use is AOK" law. It's a bit grey, because some lawyers want harddrives not to be considered recording devices, but whatever.

However, torrenting inherently includes uploading, though that'd be hard to prove (as you'd have to give every piece of the file to the person trying to catch you, theoretically).

ANYHOW, of the last 100 ish laptops I've fixed, I can't think of one that didn't have some form of torrent software on it. I fixed about 50% Canadian laptops, and the other half were aussie, kiwi, brit, and american.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2009
1461 posts
787 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
ettore wrote: Last I checked, C-11 (I believe the only relevant bill regarding this situation that was ever passed into law) has nothing to do with the changing of the "downloading for your own use is AOK" law. It's a bit grey, because some lawyers want harddrives not to be considered recording devices, but whatever.
People misunderstand the 'downloading is OK'. It's not.

In Canada we pay a levy on blank CDs Because of this levy you can make copies of audio recordings for your private use.

This only applies to audio recordings. Not audio-visual. So not movies, or television, or even images.

The levy doesn't apply to hard drives, flash memory, or anything else. You're allowed to make a copy of an audio recording on a blank CD.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
ugly wrote: People misunderstand the 'downloading is OK'. It's not.

In Canada we pay a levy on blank CDs Because of this levy you can make copies of audio recordings for your private use.

This only applies to audio recordings. Not audio-visual. So not movies, or television, or even images.

The levy doesn't apply to hard drives, flash memory, or anything else. You're allowed to make a copy of an audio recording on a blank CD.
That's been around for a long time now and it doesn't just apply to Canada. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy.

New copyright laws (Bill C-61) in Canada were changed not too long ago since the oold laws didn't cover digital material. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Act_to_ ... d_Session)

Regardless, this is beginning to look a lot like the war on drugs.

Heck under the new laws it's illegal for you to buy a song on your laptop and the transfer it to your MP3 player.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
example only: if i download 1 movie from torrent site, will i get a notice from service provider? or lawsuit?
Aug 13, 2013
245 posts
32 upvotes
test9251 wrote: example only: if i download 1 movie from torrent site, will i get a notice from service provider? or lawsuit?
Depends on the movie. I downloaded Forrest Gump and Cogeco emailed us about 1-2 days later saying that they knew that I downloaded it but so far nothing has happened. I was told to download peerblock by my brother and since then we haven't gotten any emails or calls etc from Cogeco.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2009
1461 posts
787 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
test9251 wrote: example only: if i download 1 movie from torrent site, will i get a notice from service provider? or lawsuit?
If you're unlucky then yes you could.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3210 posts
807 upvotes
barthh101 wrote: Depends on the movie. I downloaded Forrest Gump and Cogeco emailed us about 1-2 days later saying that they knew that I downloaded it but so far nothing has happened. I was told to download peerblock by my brother and since then we haven't gotten any emails or calls etc from Cogeco.
Peerblock is kind of a fake positive. It *might* work to block spammer, but if your intention is to block MPAA/RIAA/etc. it is not very efficient as they can spoof their IP.