Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal

Merging multiple HDD's folders "visually" only

Is there a software for Windows 7 that would VISUALLY combine same-name folders of Drive X,Y,Z without the need for an array?

For example, I want these folders in different hard drives.....
X:\TV-Shows\Big Bang Theory\
Y:\TV-Shows\Lost\
Z:\TV-Shows\X-Files\

To show up under a virtual drive W: as such....
W:\TV-Shows\Big Bang Theory\
W:\TV-Shows\Lost\
W:\TV-Shows\X-Files\

And the way that the software would manage transfering files to the W: virtual drive is to fill out drive X, then once X is full, move on to drive Y, then move to drive Z.
That way, if one drive is removed from this "visual" array, I just lose the content of that drive, unlike a real drive array where it completely stops working if one drive is removed.

The reason I don't want to make a real array is that it makes it very risky to lose EVERYTHING if one of the drive fails. Plus, a bunch of my hard drives are USB3.0 and have no SATA ports even if I take them out of their case. It also makes it easier to add more drives to this "visual" array without running a partition manager to re-organize everything.

edit - I forgot about JBOD, so ya I think I got my answer. If JBOD is flexible enough to allow removing a drive, it should do the trick.
36 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2175 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
Look into Stablebit. Works much like drive pool on the old WHS v2.

I have it running on my HTPC and it works great. Had it running for almost 3 months and the array hasn't given me any problems, yet.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Symlinks would work too now that they're not that stupid on Windows.
I would recommend unionfs-fuse, but it's for Linux.
JBOD would work (I think) but I've never tried destructive tests on it.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Ironsmack wrote: Look into Stablebit. Works much like drive pool on the old WHS v2.

I have it running on my HTPC and it works great. Had it running for almost 3 months and the array hasn't given me any problems, yet.

death_hawk wrote: Symlinks would work too now that they're not that stupid on Windows.
Thank you both. I will look into your alternative suggestions to JBOD, though I will not run Linux for unionfs-fuse. I've had my "fun" with Linux and I no longer have the time for it :p
How can I conduct destructive tests on JBOD? I have plenty of empty hard drives to use for tests.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
Does these program split file or just leave open space when one drive run of out space?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Have you considered using Junctions (built-in feature of NTFS to create virtual folders)? You could create a set of sub-folders under one consolidating folder on one of your existing drives that actually point to other drives and folders on your system.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13938 posts
5435 upvotes
right click my computer -> manage -> select the drive volume then right click -> change drive letter or path

the mount it to a ntfs folder
The sweetest gyal
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
alkizmo wrote: How can I conduct destructive tests on JBOD? I have plenty of empty hard drives to use for tests.
Copy a bunch of files to a bunch of HDDs in JBOD. Hash them all.
Pull one and wipe it. Rehash files to see what matches.
In fact, you should do this for any sort of redundant storage. Although this isn't redundant.

Drivepool sounds kind of neat and would work for your situation (especially since you're running Windows)
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
sexyj wrote: right click my computer -> manage -> select the drive volume then right click -> change drive letter or path

the mount it to a ntfs folder
No I don't want to make one hard drive be a folder within another drive, I want all my tv-shows to be in the same folder even if they are spread over 3 hard drives.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
FLEXraid in storage pooling mode can do this

in fact, i'm using it to do just that.

i've got full control of where files reside and the convenience of folders spanning multiple physical disks

it runs on top of windows ntfs, so you can always pull out the drive whenever you want and still maintain your folder structure
ShadowVlican
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43245 upvotes
ONTARIO
death_hawk wrote: Symlinks would work too now that they're not that stupid on Windows.
I use symbolic links on my drives and it works great.

I have my movies on multiple drives:

E:\Movies
F:\Movies
I:\Movies
G:\Movies

F, I and G are already full. All my newest movies are placed on E:\
I don't like accessing four drives to check out my movies so I used a script I found to batch create hard links from F, I, G on on E:\. So when accessing E:\ it appears as if my entire collection is on the drive. I get one big list of all my movies and can access them from one drive.
It works great on my NFS server too. All I have to share the one drive to access all 4 (E:\Movies\).

I do the same for my two TV show hard drives too.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: I use symbolic links on my drives and it works great.
That's what I mean. It took 7 (or Vista I'm not sure) to get symlinks right.
Linux has had them for who knows how long.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43245 upvotes
ONTARIO
I just came across an awesome extension for windows called Link Shell Extension. It makes creating symbolic links for files/folders EXTREMELY easy.

Download it from here:
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... l#download

Once you have it installed, simply open the folder with the files/folders you want to link. Select one or multiple files (or folders). Right-click and click on "Pick Link Source" from the context menu.

Go to the folder where you want to put the files/folders (in OP's case it would be his virtual W:\ drive) and right-click and select Drop as symbolic link. Voila. Link created within seconds.

Do this to all your tv shows OP and now you have all your TV shows from 3 different drives appear in one single drive.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Any recommendation as to which suggestions above will suit best with removable drives?
[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/5yrdld.jpg[/IMG]

Even when taken apart, the USB port is soldered on. I'd have to solder a SATA cable to each of them to not have to run them with USB3.0
Banned
Jun 19, 2010
791 posts
139 upvotes
OnTheRFDPlace
JamesA1 wrote: Have you considered using Junctions (built-in feature of NTFS to create virtual folders)? You could create a set of sub-folders under one consolidating folder on one of your existing drives that actually point to other drives and folders on your system.
Can you elaborate on how to do that?

Read through this thread, and aside form downloading third party apps or fiddling with linux (that most average users have no time or patience for), it doesn't appear any way to do this. So your idea seems to be the most straight forward one, particularly if its part of windows already.

Thanks
Hurley, Hurley Bernard!
!
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43245 upvotes
ONTARIO
Hmm, I just realized that sexyj's link already mentions Link Shell Extension. I didn't realize that when I suggested it above. It really is great.

Anyways, unless you want to learn how to use mklink , get Link Shell Extension. It will make creating symbolic links and junctions a breeze. You can literally create them in seconds.

Or read this on how to create junctions using mklink and the command line:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/27 ... ndows.html
Scroll down to Part 2
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4111 posts
2258 upvotes
Toronto
alkizmo wrote: Any recommendation as to which suggestions above will suit best with removable drives?
[IMG]http://i39.tinyp ic.com/5yrdld.jpg[/IMG]

Even when taken apart, the USB port is soldered on. I'd have to solder a SATA cable to each of them to not have to run them with USB3.0
I hope you got a good deal on those drives if it involves that much work :(
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43245 upvotes
ONTARIO
Super_Chicken wrote: I hope you got a good deal on those drives if it involves that much work :(
He paid $10 per 2TB drive. Was a price error at Staples.ca. They accidentally priced the $99.96 drive at $9.96. A lot of people got a bunch of drives. There's a thread on it in the expired deals forum. So ticked I missed out on it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)