• Nov 12th, 2013 9:01 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
1753 posts
50 upvotes

downside of buying used speakers?

hey guys, I am debating if I should buy a set of used tower speakers to complete my HT set up to save some $ or buy new ones. I don't know my HT at all, anyone has any feedback?
18 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
I have only ever bought some pretty expensive tower speakers. The experience was good. You have to audition them to make sure they sound good. Do a full check for physical damage. Then negotiate price. I can say this much, the audiophiles are pretty finicky with their gear. Generally abuse shouldn't be a concern. If you are looking for entry level stuff, just buy new.
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
CJJ25 wrote: I don't know my HT at all, anyone has any feedback?
It's November already. Might as well wait until Black Friday / Boxing day to score some nice deals.

But if you can't wait, you can always buy it now.
If you’ve purchased an item on or after November 1st, you’ll be able to apply for a price adjustment right up until January 5th instead of the regular 30-day limit.
Lowest Price Guarantee
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
speakers have a limited lifespan because the component doing the moving around in the speaker is paper or some plastic. That will wear down after a few years. Even that component glued to the speaker itself can get worn out.

If it's fairly recent within a year and you don't suspect abuse then fine. Certainly I wouldn't buy anything over a year.
Jan 12, 2010
818 posts
289 upvotes
rageking wrote: speakers have a limited lifespan because the component doing the moving around in the speaker is paper or some plastic. That will wear down after a few years. Even that component glued to the speaker itself can get worn out.

If it's fairly recent within a year and you don't suspect abuse then fine. Certainly I wouldn't buy anything over a year.
I wouldn't say that. I have JBLs that are over 10 years old and still rocking.
Jan 26, 2013
253 posts
232 upvotes
rageking wrote: speakers have a limited lifespan because the component doing the moving around in the speaker is paper or some plastic. That will wear down after a few years. Even that component glued to the speaker itself can get worn out.

Speakers are some of the longest lasting electronics that exist. Any non crappy speaker should easily last at least 15 years. Good quality speakers can easily last 25+ years.

To OP's question, there isn't much downside of buying good used speakers. As long as they do not have damage, they sound great, and the price is good, go for it!

However, subwoofers do not follow the above. Because subwoofer amps lifespan is sporadic, regardless of price. The reason is because low end subwoofers generally use inexpensive amps that are built cheaply, which is the main reason for premature failure. High end subwoofers generally use high quality and well built amplifiers, but the constant strong vibrations generated by the bass can really take a toll on the lifespan. Even if they don't prematurely fail, the lifespan is only about 10ish years. I would be careful with used subwoofers.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham

Lol no.

OP, just do a listening rest and a full physical inspection..
ShadowVlican
Feb 21, 2011
29 posts
23 upvotes
One can get real good deals buying used speakers as sometimes people upgrade for no apparent reason thus creating an opportunity for the second hand buyer to pay a fraction of the price for audiophile quality equipment. I bought a new Yamaha HTIB and soon upgraded to speakers bought second hand and now the sound is world apart. I have for central channel Boston Acoustics E100 (Original Price- $3000, Price paid $200) and can't think of how I could have gone wrong.

Make sure to research the speakers interested in thoroughly, understand what works in your environment and the if your amplifier have enough power to drive the speakers. One thing for sure, I would prefer speakers with rubber surrounds, with over all condition being satisfactory. An audition is a must, when at buyers place you will always get an idea how the equipment might have been treated. there are concepts like timbre matching but in the end sound is sound and if it sounds good to you the speakers will work for you, but make sure that you hear a few different speakers with few different amplifiers. Guess there is no substitute for experience, ask some one to help or take advantage of forums and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1567 posts
192 upvotes
Oakville
Speakers can last very long, and usually upgraded for different reasons not related to the functional condition.
OP, you can get a good pair of working low-end full size speakers in local Goodwill for maybe $20, and good pair of mid-end in local electronics resale store for maybe $100.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
1753 posts
50 upvotes
thanks guys for your note. the point on black friday / boxing day is also true - maybe it's best to hold out and see what kind of deals there might be. =)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22155 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
How much were you looking to spend? There is a big difference between wanting to spend $100 and $1,000. People that spend a lot of money on speakers are unlikely to abuse them.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20806 posts
6622 upvotes
London
i think there was a site called canukaudiomart that had a pretty good buy n sell section for audio stuff
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
Watch out for rubber or plastic diaphragms on the speaker cones, they have a limited life span. The voice coils themselves should last a very long time, using levitating magnetism they literally float in the coil without wear. Cross over electronics, if designed well should last a lifetime but are susceptible (like all electronics) to acid, salt and other corrosion in the air along with electrolysis of dissimilar metals used in construction. I have a set of Pioneer speakers with paper cones that are pulling well 40 years on.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
While technology advances unfortunately speaker technology doesn't IMO compared to other electronics. The only real advances in audio are Dolby digital lately. I know many people that are hanging on to their high end speaker that are 20 plus years old. Some people are holding on to their records or tube amps... Stay away from foam surround speakers as they suffer from dry rot. I would personally not buy a set of speakers that have been re foamed or replaced as you can always find others. There is such a high mark up on any audio buying used is the best way to go IMO if you shop around you can get some great deals. New or used I suggest you find someone that knows about audio to help you make an informed decision. Canuck audiomart is a great sight for mid-high end used audio! Personally, I wouldn't buy new speakers and would use the money elsewhere in my system.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2005
5202 posts
2486 upvotes
Vancity
xSynChrome wrote: I wouldn't say that. I have JBLs that are over 10 years old and still rocking.
+1 I have a pair of 20 y.o. Energy's (made in Canada!). They sound the same as back then. Maybe my hearing is deteriorating.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
Since Energy changed it business model I suspect that your Energy's are not the same as the new stuff at Futureshop...
recordman wrote: +1 I have a pair of 20 y.o. Energy's (made in Canada!). They sound the same as back then. Maybe my hearing is deteriorating.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1567 posts
192 upvotes
Oakville
recordman wrote: Maybe my hearing is deteriorating.
Yes, that is the natural process. Unfortunately. :lol:
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Lumber-jack wrote: Since Energy changed it business model I suspect that your Energy's are not the same as the new stuff at Futureshop...
Yes, they probably sound better than the stuff available today.