• Dec 4th, 2013 5:28 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 12, 2013
588 posts
2973 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

eReader advice

I'm considering getting an e-reader, but I don't know if it's a practical purchase for my situation.

I take transit to and from work, approximately 2h total every weekday. Sometimes, I read on my smartphone, using apps like Kindle, Kobo, or iBooks or other offline reading apps like Pocket.

I like the idea of e-readers because of the ink format and the long life between charges. However, I read fast and on the few that I've tested out in-store (Kobo, Nook, Sony, etc) there is a noticeable lag when "flipping pages", which I have to do a few times a minute. If I was actually using it, I think it would drive me crazy. Also, I like to load up pdf books, not necessarily the native format that the eReaders use.

Anybody have recommendations or experiences to share? do newer ereaders have less lag?
should I bother with this at all, since my phone can sort of do the same thing already?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12574 upvotes
Markham
Dont think dedicated ereader can read pdf well,might be those ereader/tablet type tablet can help you
Dont really think that small lag can drive you crazy especially when you get used to it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
The lag used to be very noticeable on the older models, but it has gotten better as the newer models got faster processors and faster eInk screens. There's still a tiny bit of a lag compared to a tablet LCD display, but nothing annoying now. You do get accustomed to a tiny lag. I tend to tap to turn the page just an instant before I finish reading the last sentence on the page, much as you might grasp the page to flip it in a paper book. From what I've read that's true of most other people as well.

E-readers are generally not well suited to reading most pdf documents. Their screens are too small to show a full-page image, and they aren't fast enough to zoom and pan quickly. They don't render images very well. Most of them don't have the ability to reflow text to fit the page (aside from Sony I think). But the good news is that you can easily use Calibre to reformat text pdfs to fit the e-reader format when you load the document.

You might want to check out the new Kobo Aura 6" model - it's especially light and compact, ideal for transit use.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
i dont know how much they have improved the lag your talking about but i own the kobo wifi e-reader and after reading a few pages i can ussually find the spot on the page that when i read to that spot i hit the button to turn page and by the time i get to the bottom it is ready to turn. Doing this you still have the slow turning of the actual page that isnt lag but just the graphic of page turning.

I wonder how the kindle fire hdx or whatever their top one is called handles this. i love the specs on it but not the price and no library books from Canada though i read they have an app now that you can get from the library that can work on any android phone or tablet so may be a possible way to own a kindle and read library books. doubt the lower end kindles can do this though.

I would imagine if your a speed reader a android type would probably be the best (well maybe iphone and win 8 as well). that is if you can read fast enough on your phone.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
The Kobo WiFi is a few years old, and it is noticeably slow compared to current e-readers. I currently use the Kobo Aura HD (with a high-def 6.8" screen), and the page turns are almost as fast as LCD - not at all a factor in reading. I think most of the other current-generation models are pretty similar.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1567 posts
192 upvotes
Oakville
1) Lag on ereaders ("true" ereaders, i.e. based on eink screen technology) is there "by default". It could be shorter or longer, it could be kinda shortened via setting up "full page refresh" properly, but it would never be as small as on tablets. It is limitation of eink technology.
2) pdf's could be read with comfort on ereader, but they should support "re-flow" format. Most of pdf's do not have such feature. The only way around it - reformat pdf to "native" ebook format - epub, fb2, mobi, etc. Unfortunately, for some pdfs it is not possible (because they do not have actual text inside, but only scanned "pictures" of pages)
Aug 26, 2003
514 posts
54 upvotes
I view a lot of technical (computer) books on my ereader that mostly come in PDF format with lots of graphics. They're basically unreadable on the smaller ereaders. Especially when dealing with graphics and images.

What I use is the Kindle DX which has a 9.7" screen. It's awesome for what I need it for but there's definitely lag. You can pick them up on ebay.

The only company that I see still making 9.7" ereaders are companies like Icarus and EnerGenie but they're freaking expensive.

http://energenie.com/item.aspx?id=7548
http://www.icarusreader.com/

Also found Onyx Book
https://onyx-boox.com/productsinfo/onyx ... ack-pearl/

Would love to upgrade my DX but the price for the larger devices is just too painful.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)