Computers & Electronics

iPhone (1,2,3,4) USB cable - Where do they sell good ones?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2013 9:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal

iPhone (1,2,3,4) USB cable - Where do they sell good ones?

I have had about 10 different USB cables for my iPhone 4.
The original one
4 eBay ones
4 dollar store ones
1 bought in emergency at a local store (eBay garbage most likely).

I was down to 1 last cable (dollarstore, the ones with the push-clip to release), so I bought 2 more from the dollarstore and they all failed.

I know the typical eBay ones that are made to look like the original cables are 50% DOA and 49% difficult to plug in properly or they break in a couple of days.

Where can I get decent cables? I just don't want to buy the official Apple ones since they are 1000% marked-up.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4808 posts
1803 upvotes
It's almost impossible to find good iphone 5/a cables. I heard good things about monoprice ones. For the older version of iphone it's easier.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
EEE2 wrote: It's almost impossible to find good iphone 5/a cables. I heard good things about monoprice ones. For the older version of iphone it's easier.
Pretty eash to get ones that will work if you know where to get them. I have sold in the past original iphone 5 cables for $20
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
As for cable for iphone 4/4s
Order them from monoprice or dx.com they should all work since its the older style cable.
Jun 2, 2010
534 posts
62 upvotes
I was about to post the same question.

My dad uses his cable for tethering at work, pretty much all day. The cheap monoprice ones wear out in like a week.

Where can you get genuine Apple cables for a decent price?
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
sickcars wrote: As for cable for iphone 4/4s
Order them from monoprice or dx.com they should all work since its the older style cable.
They all look like the crap cables you get on eBay.
My longest lasting one (and the only one still working today) is the dollorama cable that comes with the car charger. It's bigger and you need to press the clips on each side of the plug to release it from the iPhone.
But they don't see it just as a cable, I'd have to buy it with the charger every time (like 5$ I think).
Feb 25, 2006
315 posts
22 upvotes
Recently received a cable (about 2 months ago) for my iPhone 4 from Monoprice that I use in the car. Everytime I get in and out of the car my phone gets unplugged. It's excellent quality - almost better than the factory cable. I won't hesitate to recommend these cables from Monoprice.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Recondo wrote: Recently received a cable (about 2 months ago) for my iPhone 4 from Monoprice that I use in the car. Everytime I get in and out of the car my phone gets unplugged. It's excellent quality - almost better than the factory cable. I won't hesitate to recommend these cables from Monoprice.
Thanks for the monoprice suggestion.
I can see they have choices going from cheap basic cables to heavy duty ones.
I will definitively get a mix of those cables, some for charging at home, some for my office.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
just go over to Winners and pick up a cable.
should be about 7-8 bucks for a good quality cable.
wife's been using one for a while and so far it's the best one she's used, out of dollar store, dx cables, etc.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
ippon wrote: just go over to Winners and pick up a cable.
should be about 7-8 bucks for a good quality cable.
wife's been using one for a while and so far it's the best one she's used, out of dollar store, dx cables, etc.
hmmm maybe.
I could pick up some new neckties while I'm there.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
209 upvotes
My favourite cable to use is the Monster one for the Ipad. Now retail is $30 but I bought it super cheap and love it.
Brand NEW FUJIFILM F900EXR FOR SALE ASKING $225
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
What's the iPhone 1? If you mean the original iPhone (which is 2G), then there is no iPhone 2. The models that used the old 30-in cable were the:

iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)