• Dec 16th, 2013 3:59 am
Tags:
None
Sep 26, 2009
304 posts
103 upvotes
Stittsville

Best Cable Modem that will work with multiple ISPs

I am planning on switching from Rogers to either Distributel/Acanac or Vmedia and looking to purchase my own modem. Looking for recommendation on buying a modem that will work with multiple ISPs (without wireless ethernet switch capability).
3 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14958 posts
2921 upvotes
Toronto
Go with whatever the provider recommends. Anything else is asking for a headache.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
Just check the compatibility lists on each provider. Most of them should be the same anyway since they all use the same few companies' last mile (i.e. Rogers, Cogeco, etc). Then generally buying from the ISP gives you a year's warranty with them, which may be worth the extra ~$20 you might save buying it elsewhere.

A common choice would be the DCM476.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
kaka55 wrote: I am planning on switching from Rogers to either Distributel/Acanac or Vmedia and looking to purchase my own modem. Looking for recommendation on buying a modem that will work with multiple ISPs (without wireless ethernet switch capability).
DCM476/475 isn't allowed onto Distributel's network. It is allowed onto Teksavvy and Acanac. Huawei is allowed onto distributel (it's the only one they allow) and teksavvy. So that's your best candidate if you want compatibility for both ISPs.

You should always confirm this with the ISPs before you make a decision both by phone and online. Just because they say the modem is compatible doesn't mean they will allow this to be sent for provisioning on roger's cable interent network as an example.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)