Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal

Help me out choosing between these 2 TVs

Samsung: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/ ... 3e9fcfen02

LG: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/ ... f70c6aen02

Looking for a TV to mostly watch movies/series from Laptop. A bit of gaming.
Samsung is LED at 55", and LG's is plasma at 60". What's the catch, why is LG 5" bigger but the same price?
Appreciate any help I can get.
13 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
plasma tv's are cheaper than LED. If where you intend to locate the tv is not near by a bunch of windows, I suggest going with plasma. They have better picture quality. The extra size is well worth it as well. Don't be swayed by those who tell you plasma has burn in issues. I have a LG plasma that I use as a monitor and there are no issues with image retention.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
Plasma is an obsolete technology which is being discontinued over time. Power consumption is higher, reliability is lower. Hence, they're cheaper.

Burn-in isn't nearly as much of an issue as it was in the past with the plasmas, but still exists nonetheless. Particularly if you do something like leave a laptop connected to it on the same screen for a long time. My suggestion would be to avoid plasma unless you have carefully weighed everything and are willing to tolerate the downsides.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Cough wrote: Theory is that sound isnt as good on LED because they are so thin but I think that's YMMV
That graph's credibility is null. It's fairly obvious as to why that is.

Hint: Sound quality has nothing to do with display technology.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
alkizmo wrote: That graph's credibility is null. It's fairly obvious as to why that is.
Sound quality and viewing angle are out to lunch. But the rest of it looks fairly decent to me. Of course, it is important to clarify that "LED" refers typically to "LED-LCD", as opposed to "CCFL-LCD" which is referred to as "LCD" there. LED is not fundamentally a new technology for the screen, only a different way of backlighting. True emissive LED displays will eventually arrive (no backlight or LCD required), but until then, when people say "LED", they're usually only referring to the backlighting method for a LCD panel.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Mark77 wrote: Sound quality and viewing angle are out to lunch. But the rest of it looks fairly decent to me.
Agreeing with the rest is one thing, but you can't put any stock in that graph as part of an argument as it has no credibility. It's not that the numbers are off on viewing angle and sound quality, it is that sound quality has NOTHING to do with display technology. So either this is a graph that compared several TV models in all their aspects and bunched them in groups of LED, LCD and Plasma, or the person who just throwing out his/her opinion.
Mark77 wrote: LED is not fundamentally a new technology for the screen, only a different way of backlighting.
The backlighting technology has an impact on picture quality, however for LED they sadly kept on the cheap side and never went further with HDTVs that had full array LED with smart dimming technology. It's either full lit with no smart dimming, or edge lit with smart dimming. Smart dimming can do amazing things with making blacks super black and brights super bright, but the light bleeding effect on edge lit is horrible.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
Mark77 wrote: Plasma is an obsolete technology which is being discontinued over time. Power consumption is higher, reliability is lower. Hence, they're cheaper.

Burn-in isn't nearly as much of an issue as it was in the past with the plasmas, but still exists nonetheless. Particularly if you do something like leave a laptop connected to it on the same screen for a long time. My suggestion would be to avoid plasma unless you have carefully weighed everything and are willing to tolerate the downsides.
Plasma TV's are by far obsolete and in the right conditions are far superior than both LED and LCD. now you are correct that if not in the right conditions it can be a bad experience but to say it is obsolete is over doing it.

As long as they are selling them they are something to consider in every TV purchase. Just have to know the limitations. It isn't like buying one will ruin your purchase even if a month later they stopped selling them.Hell people are scrambling to find Panasonic plasmas because they are so great. Yea Panny stopped making them due to costs and not enough sales but not because the other products are superior.

To the Op if you have the right conditions which basically comes down to lighting conditions i would say consider buying the LG since it has the larger screen but if you have a lot of light incoming to the room or more specific will have a light hitting the TV then i would say look at LED/LCD. If lighting is good for a plasma you will love the PQ over a LED/LCD.

Some people and even magazines/blogs say that desk tops are obsolete now but here we are- all of us(or %99.95)using one still - even if it is a notebook on the desk.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9283 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
I was faced with this dilemma a couple of years back.

55" LED versus a 60" Plasma.

I got the 60" LG plasma and I have never looked back. I really don't know why people are so crazy over LED TVs. Yeah they're thin but so what?

With plasma you have great color, deep blacks, no response time issues and perfect viewing angles. More money in your pocket too.
Machine: AMD 7950X3D | Asus X670E-E | 64GB Corsair DDR5-6000 | 4 + 2TB WD SN850X NVMe | 6TB WD Black | 16 + 14TB WD Gold | Corsair 7000D | Corsair RM850x | Asus RTX 4070 Super | 2 x 32" ViewSonic VX3276-2K-MHD | Win11 Pro 64-bit
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
and i don't get the thin part since mine is only 1" thick. my older LCD is 3 times that i think.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
Mark77 wrote: Sound quality and viewing angle are out to lunch. But the rest of it looks fairly decent to me. Of course, it is important to clarify that "LED" refers typically to "LED-LCD", as opposed to "CCFL-LCD" which is referred to as "LCD" there. LED is not fundamentally a new technology for the screen, only a different way of backlighting. True emissive LED displays will eventually arrive (no backlight or LCD required), but until then, when people say "LED", they're usually only referring to the backlighting method for a LCD panel.
Oh and the difference in power consumption is not out to lunch on the Plasma vs. LED comparison? I will agree that older plasmas are not the best with power usage, but the more modern ones are barely higher than LED. My newer 60 inch plasma consumes half the power (~ 150 watts) of my older 42 inch plasma (300 watts). Also, it compares well with my 52 inch LCD unit (~125 watts). The last time I checked, I live in Canada. With the exception of a few months in the summer, the extra power adds heat to the home which is not all bad.

Who really cares about outdated technology. If that kind of argument applied, then vintage autos would be worthless. Speaking of outdated technology, LED like plasma will be replaced by OLED. I am sure one day, OLED will be replaced by the next replacement technology. Until that happens and as long as it is available for sale, who cares.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks, I think I will go with the 60" plasma. There is a window near my TV, and I do own a plasma right now and during the day it does get a bit annoying.
But I mostly watch TV in the evening so it doesnt bother me as much. Thanks for all the inputs.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
Cough wrote: [IMG]http://images.knowhow.com/TV%20Home%20E ... aGraph.JPG[/IMG]
Theory is that sound isnt as good on LED because they are so thin but I think that's YMMV
LED in this case isn't OLED, how can the same LCD screen with just LED back light can be better than the PQ of plasma is misleading and subjective, in other words this graph is a load of crock !
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
Madevilz wrote: Thanks, I think I will go with the 60" plasma. There is a window near my TV, and I do own a plasma right now and during the day it does get a bit annoying.
But I mostly watch TV in the evening so it doesnt bother me as much. Thanks for all the inputs.
After all this i hope it goes well :) at least you know what your getting or should get with a decent plasma. i would suggest good dark curtains for that window.

Way i look at it if you buy from a good place that has a good return policy it is worth the shot - i would do a lot of things to get a 60" TV :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)