Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton

Dumb UPS

So it's bad enough having to put up with the "drop and run" delivery service but this time around, the driver delivers to the wrong house. Called to complain and they check tracking and tell me item shows delivered. No kidding! Do they record that they delivered to the wrong house? :mad:

Received package due to honesty of individual who received it. They didn't sound interested. Oh, you have the package? What's the problem?

Why do retailers use UPS? Purolator always requires a signature or it's back to the depot. Canada Post will leave a card and you pick up at the post office. Why don't they at least wait for someone to answer the door?

Note to driver: read address on package label, if numbers match, proceed with delivery, if numbers do not match, find correct house. Isn't this the job?
31 replies
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
People make mistakes, there's bound to be mis-deliveries and so you're just on the short end of the stick that it happened to you.

I had a package from UPS attempt delivery two houses down because the number was a bit rubbed off and hard to see, luckily no one took the package and i contacted them in time to get it on that same day.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
starchoice wrote:
Why do retailers use UPS?
They won the contract for the cheapest rate.

Amazon.com has even been using random regional companies nobody has heard of in the US...and people havent been happy with the service

http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%20ca ... EWWFTOKU9T

I remember reading a story of some guy delivering a package in a beat up old white van. The guy getting the package wrote that he thought because of how sleezy the van looked and the driver himself he thought for a momemt the guy was going to try to home invade him or something until he saw the Amazon package.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1789 posts
334 upvotes
starchoice wrote: So it's bad enough having to put up with the "drop and run" delivery service but this time around, the driver delivers to the wrong house. Called to complain and they check tracking and tell me item shows delivered. No kidding! Do they record that they delivered to the wrong house? :mad:

Received package due to honesty of individual who received it. They didn't sound interested. Oh, you have the package? What's the problem?

Why do retailers use UPS? Purolator always requires a signature or it's back to the depot. Canada Post will leave a card and you pick up at the post office. Why don't they at least wait for someone to answer the door?

Note to driver: read address on package label, if numbers match, proceed with delivery, if numbers do not match, find correct house. Isn't this the job?
that would be human error, not something that systematically occurs to everyone, a little disturbing that they didnt seem to care though.
canada post always knocks for me btw, i think it depends on the driver and how many packages they have that day.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2927 posts
334 upvotes
Nations Capital
I wouldn't be relying on Purolator

These days they can't seem to deliver a package at all.

They seem to be too busy to keep up and keep leaving packages at the depot, missing connections, drivers too lazy to finish their route and package gets delayed day after day.

At least UPS, leaves the package at the door most times.
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21264 posts
6247 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I got my tv from amazon delivered on time and at my house. No complaints.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
starchoice wrote: So it's bad enough having to put up with the "drop and run" delivery service but this time around, the driver delivers to the wrong house. Called to complain and they check tracking and tell me item shows delivered. No kidding! Do they record that they delivered to the wrong house? :mad:

So OP called to complain ... now he feels better and someone on the other end feels bad ... unless they have developed a thick skin.

There was no useful purpose achieved by complaining. OP is just a trouble maker.

... and what is the problem with "drop and run" delivery. That seems to be the work of a productive employee. What hardship is placed on OP by a "drop and run" delivery.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3901 posts
2190 upvotes
Ontario
We've had UPS deliver a package to a neighbour since we weren't around to sign for it.

Fortunately, we have good neighbours.

They did have the right address because they left a note saying it was with the neighbour.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
TCWeasel wrote: We've had UPS deliver a package to a neighbour since we weren't around to sign for it.

Fortunately, we have good neighbours.

They did have the right address because they left a note saying it was with the neighbour.
Neighbours are what you make them. If I were OP's neighbour and knew of his attitude I might be tempted to toss the parcel.

Please get to know your neighbours and you'll probably find they are nice people. I bet the UPS deliverer was too.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3866 upvotes
Nowhere
Marzipan wrote: ... and what is the problem with "drop and run" delivery. That seems to be the work of a productive employee. What hardship is placed on OP by a "drop and run" delivery.
His package got delivered to the wrong house. If he didn't have honest neighbours, he wouldn't have received his package. Sorry this is not the work of an productive employee, this is the work of an overworked employee. They do this because it is the only way to actually complete their route because of the unrealistic demands on them.

I had UPS also deliver my package to the wrong address. I waited thinking a neighbour would return it. I looked in my neighbour's mailboxes to see if the package was there and only called to complain the next day when it didn't appear and I couldn't find it. In my case fortunately, the driver recorded the address where he delivered the parcel. It was down the street. I was told that the driver had to go retrieve it. He made multiple attempts over several days as did I. Finally I found a workman at the house who called the owner who admitted she had my package at work. She claimed she took it there to mail it back but why didn't she just drop it at my house as she had to drive right past it to get to work. I live in a townhouse complex, not a busy street where she couldn't stop or she could have just walked it over. She said she would drop it off at my house. I did finally get my package which had been opened. She had taped it up and wrote "damaged" on it although it was clear that she had opened it. If the driver hadn't recorded the address, I would never have received it.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
+1, not everyone gets along with their neigbours. A package should only be left with someone who resides in the address on the package. (Unless a special instruction states otherwise)
Dec 21, 2008
255 posts
161 upvotes
I'm in the industry.

The vast majority of people do not want to drive to the nearest depot for pickup not to mention the added cost of bringing packages back to the terminal. We actually get a bunch of complaints when we don't leave a package for one reason or another.

We are allowed to indirect deliver a package to a neighbour unless the shipper requests (pays extra) a signature option.

As for the "drop and go", we are far too busy to wait for everyone to eventually get to their door.
El Cheapo
Dec 21, 2008
255 posts
161 upvotes
I should also mention that not all addresses have clear house numbers, sometimes no suite or buzzer number, sometimes the address on the box is incomplete and we have to be CSI investigators to get it right.
El Cheapo
Dec 26, 2007
20 posts
10 upvotes
Totally agree!!! I got pretty bad experiences with them. One instance, they didn't even press the door bell and left a delivery attempt notice. Today I got notice of delivery by the end of today. Still no one showing up. Call them and they said that the delivery won't be able to make it, because it's standard delivery. Wasted a day home waiting for the parcel. Really pissed off of how they were dealing with the customer. :mad:
Oct 7, 2008
204 posts
34 upvotes
London, Ontario
This happened to me 5-6 years ago for two sticks of computer RAM I RMA'd. The UPS website showed the item being delivered to an address three blocks from my house. I contacted the RAM company and they shipped two new sticks of RAM for free.

By law, it is the responsibility of the shipper/seller to make sure the item arrives in the buyer's hands.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1800 posts
625 upvotes
Vancouver
starchoice wrote: Why do retailers use UPS
Because they get discounted rates/incentive credits for volume shipping. (That goes for every courier company) How else do you expect retailers to offer free shipping? Lol
Aug 27, 2010
591 posts
111 upvotes
I miss the old days when UPS used to knock on your door and hand you your package. I was waiting for a package to be delivered today when I heard a loud crash outside my door. In the less than 2 secs that it took me to get to my front door, I saw the UPS driver had already gotten back into his truck parked on the street . He obviously just threw that package from quite a distance away. Unreal! He didn't even have the decency to drop it off right at the door.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2013
1402 posts
617 upvotes
EDMONTON
I used to have great ups and Canada post guys. Would always deliver at the same time every package and would ring doorbell twice and wait for a decent amount of time for me to answer. I moved recently ans both Canada post and ups just leave packages at the door without even a knock. Just this week they left 3 packages right in the middle of a snow drift beside my door. Frustrating.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Check the shipping rates between the courier services and UPS is the cheapest, hence why so many companies (Amazon, Apple, Google etc.) use them for shipping... you get what you pay for. I haven't had any issues with them delivering things to the correct location but service is garbage otherwise due to their drop'n'run procedure. It's maddening when they do this for every package they've ever delivered for me, even the ones clearly marked as signature required, everything from a crib dragged across the front lawn and left sitting in the rain all day with the dragged corner of the box completely destroyed, to a $1500 Macbook left sitting on the porch all day in plain sight for anyone to walk up and grab.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21264 posts
6247 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Yesterday, while watching out my window, I saw a UPS guy jumped out the passenger side to dropoff a package. The driver left him and drove about 6 houses further to dropoff another package. By the time the driver took to drop it off, the other guy managed to get back into the truck and joined him. Must have saved 30 seconds.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.