Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1715 posts
267 upvotes
C-53

Help me decide- Dell or Mac?

So I'm due for an exchange on my current work laptop as its 3yrs old. IT is offering 5 laptops- 2 Macs & 3 Dells with various configs, sizes and weights. I have essentially narrowed it down to one of two.

1- Dell E6530. Its custom configured from IT.
2- Mac Book Pro 15" variant w/ Retina display. This one is also custom configured.

I am leaning towards the Dell only because most of my work and applications that I run are Windows based. I'm hesitant on the Mac for this very reason. On the other hand I've never owned a Mac and I've heard so much fuss about Apple products that I'm thinking I will want to try it out for essentially free. If I do go with the Mac, IT will provide Parallels Desktop to run Windows apps but I'm not sure if they'll actually give me a Windows OS too.. I'll have to check on that.

Thoughts??
Please thank me if you find this helpful
14 replies
Jul 17, 2013
337 posts
79 upvotes
Mac trackpad is a dream to use. If you're getting parallels for free, I'll definitely go with the mbp. Doesn't hurt to try it out if you're getting an upgrade every 3 years anyway
I'm studying design, so there's a lot of programs that are better with windows (or not compatible wit Mac) as well. I still prefer my mbp over PCs with this drawback. "Once you go Mac, you won't go back" was definitely true for me hahah

If you don't get the windows OS, I remember I saw a thread about windows 7 for like $10 or something just recently.. Not sure if it's still available?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
I prefer Macs, but given that your applications are mainly Windows, that throws a wrench in things.

However, it depends on the applications, but most of the time Parallels is fine.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1715 posts
267 upvotes
C-53
slklee wrote: If you don't get the windows OS, I remember I saw a thread about windows 7 for like $10 or something just recently.. Not sure if it's still available?
I got this covered.
EugW wrote: However, it depends on the applications, but most of the time Parallels is fine.
Load testing on core telecomm machines. Mostly if not all are Windows legacy XP. Some are even doing CLI Linux which I HATE :D . Most often we have to connect to a chassis to run the apps. I will inquire internally if there are any issues with Mac and this stuff.

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
I've never done anything like you describe, but I will say trying to do hardware updates on connected peripherals through Parallels on a Mac can be hit and miss. If you're just running pure and standard software applications, then it's easy peasy.
Jul 17, 2013
337 posts
79 upvotes
Is bootcamp an option?
When I run parallels, my fan gets really loud :/
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
I have worked with Dell laptops and I own a rMBP. I much prefer the trackpad and battery life of Apple products. It also boots up a lot quicker. One disadvantage with the Macbook might be needing to buy a Superdrive in order to read discs.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1715 posts
267 upvotes
C-53
Mars2012 wrote: I have worked with Dell laptops and I own a rMBP. I much prefer the trackpad and battery life of Apple products. It also boots up a lot quicker. One disadvantage with the Macbook might be needing to buy a Superdrive in order to read discs.
Mac Book Pro has an optical drive I believe. At least the one we are offered does.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Stick with what you know and get the Dell, there isn't much of a benefit to switching based on what you laid out.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2012
1135 posts
290 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm almost positive you will like the mac especially the retina macbook pro, but if your apps are only for Windows the choice has made itself. You can run windows on the mac however.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
It's a work laptop, not your personal laptop. Just get a Dell since you tend to use Windows applications and choose the one that weighs the least (assuming that you may need to carry it around).
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
doomhammer wrote: Mac Book Pro has an optical drive I believe. At least the one we are offered does.
I have the original 15" retina display MBP and it doesn't have an optical drive.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1715 posts
267 upvotes
C-53
After much consideration I put in a req for the Dell laptop :)
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
The Apple is obviously leaps and bounds ahead on asthetics. However, the thing that makes Macs (and most non-business notebooks) useless for me is the lack of a trackpoint / pointer stick. A simple $5 feature. I've never been able to get used to using the touchpad, and carrying a mouse around isn't practical when using it on the go, or even when I'm typing something at my desk.

You might also consider the Latitude E7440 with the 1080p screen in the 14" format. Quite a nice unit apparently. After all, who actually uses DVDs anymore?
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
I moved to a Mac mini a few years ago and haven't gone back. My company (unfortunately) uses a VPN without a Mac client so I use VMware to remotely log in. I also own an MS Office licence for Windows so I do that there as well. Really few problems with this type of thing.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)