• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2014 2:52 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 6, 2010
236 posts
60 upvotes

Acer 3830TG running super slow

Don't know what's wrong. it has 4GBs of RAM and Windows 8.1 Professional (legit) clean install.

Examples of slowness:

-Resuming windows from the lock screen takes 30 seconds.
-Takes 4 minutes to boot up.
-Locks up ever so often (and I have to wait 20 to 30 seconds to use it again)

Opening up word takes 45 seconds.

What's wrong with it? Don't have an SSD but I'm suspecting it's something else. Have anti-virus (symantec endpoint) and did a scan.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1468 posts
990 upvotes
Try a SMART scan of the hard drive to see if there are any issues
Maybe memtest as well?
Sep 27, 2002
183 posts
88 upvotes
Winnipeg
Is the system running hot?
I loaded the custom bios and I don't run into heat issues, only the rare lock-up but that I think was a chrome issue with a flash video player.
My version is 3830TG-6415 with i3-2330m
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7312 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
I have the same laptop, never had your problems, if possible format the computer and install a fresh OS, the issue sounds more like the HDD is dying.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Mar 6, 2010
236 posts
60 upvotes
halide wrote: Is the system running hot?
I loaded the custom bios and I don't run into heat issues, only the rare lock-up but that I think was a chrome issue with a flash video player.
My version is 3830TG-6415 with i3-2330m
We have the same version. Do you know where the custom bios is? and heat isn't an issue.

Has anyone upgraded to an SSD? would a crucial m500 on sale for 89.99 at canada computers be good enough?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1921 posts
807 upvotes
Calgary
I had a 5830TG and it used SATA HDD connectors. Not sure what you do with that laptop but I personally find that 128GB wouldn't be enough storage space.

Actually now that I think about it, I had a hard drive that was exhibiting the same characteristics, I ran HD Tune which told me that my hard drive was failing and got it replaced(I bought it from memoryexpress and got extended warranty with it). Original HDD was a WD Scorpio Blue.
Mar 6, 2010
236 posts
60 upvotes
blind56 wrote: I had a 5830TG and it used SATA HDD connectors. Not sure what you do with that laptop but I personally find that 128GB wouldn't be enough storage space.

Actually now that I think about it, I had a hard drive that was exhibiting the same characteristics, I ran HD Tune which told me that my hard drive was failing and got it replaced(I bought it from memoryexpress and got extended warranty with it). Original HDD was a WD Scorpio Blue.
also have a scorpio blue here. 750gb. how did you test out your drive in hd tune?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7312 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
I put a SSD in mine, as long as it is not the old generation sandforce drives then you should be fine, anything that you can buy new will not have the old sandforce controllers. The old sandforce problems would cause BSOD after the computer wakes up from sleep. I run a 64GB OCZ agility 3 in there, for games and media I just connect to a NAS over gigabit ethernet, alternatively you could use the USB 3.0 port for additional storage.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
3095 posts
1332 upvotes
West
David2144 wrote: Don't know what's wrong. it has 4GBs of RAM and Windows 8.1 Professional (legit) clean install.

Examples of slowness:

-Resuming windows from the lock screen takes 30 seconds.
-Takes 4 minutes to boot up.
-Locks up ever so often (and I have to wait 20 to 30 seconds to use it again)

Opening up word takes 45 seconds.

What's wrong with it? Don't have an SSD but I'm suspecting it's something else. Have anti-virus (symantec endpoint) and did a scan.
One possibility is that you don't have all the proper hardware drivers installed for Win 8. Will definitely cause slowness, overheating etc... as everything isn't running as it should.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1921 posts
807 upvotes
Calgary
Haven't used HD tune for a while...
I think it was just a test in HD tune and it showed bad sectors. Not sure what it is about the Scorpio Blues but I got massively more battery life out of them than a similarly speced Seagate drive.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
Is the HD LED flashing all the time ?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3991 posts
1127 upvotes
Toronto
windows 8.1 is a bit wonky on this laptop compared to win8 or win7, ya make sure you have everything installed properly in terms of drivers
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
4 minutes to boot? definitely something wrong and as others mentioned i would check out the hard drive first.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)