Shopping Discussion

Locked: Got hit by basketball while shopping

Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER

Got hit by basketball while shopping

So I went to Woodwards in Vancouver, to get a coffee and some groceries. They have a basketball court in the Middle of the shopping area and as I set down to drink my coffee, one of the basketballs hit my coffee and spilled it allover me. Do I have any recourse on this. One of the people playing actually laughed.
127 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
3254 posts
293 upvotes
Toronto
Why did you not have them replace your cup of coffee and compensate you for your dry cleaning bill then?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2011
1203 posts
355 upvotes
Surrey
I feel like people in Vancouver are getting violent these days. The other day got shoved by some a**hole in super store. Before that some guys were cursing at us from their car and other couple of incidents. It's just within 2-3 months. Within 4 years before I had no experience like that at all.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
WebDesign wrote: So I went to Woodwards...
Haven't these stores all closed years ago?
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
starchoice wrote: Haven't these stores all closed years ago?
The building has been renovated with new stores, now has a London Drugs and Nesters`Market, etc. This was the flagship store, so it still has a Huge red W rotating on top. So the building it still called Woodards Building in Vancouver. Great improvement over the past, but the basketball court in the middle of the shopping area, right next to the sitting area ruins it, and makes it look very `inner city`.
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
LegiT wrote: Why did you not have them replace your cup of coffee and compensate you for your dry cleaning bill then?
Good point, I asked security to help me and they said there is nothing they can do or care to do.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2005
1064 posts
66 upvotes
Downtown TO
A basketball court in the middle of a shopping area? What exactly where they thinking? I probably would've picked up the ball and walked away.
Dec 27, 2012
1 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa
WebDesign wrote: So I went to Woodwards in Vancouver, to get a coffee and some groceries. They have a basketball court in the Middle of the shopping area and as I set down to drink my coffee, one of the basketballs hit my coffee and spilled it allover me. Do I have any recourse on this. One of the people playing actually laughed.
If you were unaware that there was a basketball game going on, then you are legally entitled to receive a free hearing test and a free sight test as compensation.

Hearing test: http://www.freehearingtest.ca/

Sight test: http://www.vutest.com/

You are also entitled to this free legal advice.
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
w4rrior wrote: A basketball court in the middle of a shopping area? What exactly where they thinking?
I know, it`s insane!
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
WebDesign wrote: So I went to Woodwards in Vancouver, to get a coffee and some groceries. They have a basketball court in the Middle of the shopping area and as I set down to drink my coffee, one of the basketballs hit my coffee and spilled it allover me. Do I have any recourse on this. One of the people playing actually laughed.
Could have traded the ball for cleaning bills and/or replacement coffee. Strictly speaking, one could argue you have potential legal recourse against the building owners and/or managers, but that would be expensive for the amount you'd get.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
There are people there shooting hoops All the time. Lots of those don`t seem to have jobs. What should I do, not get coffee at all... Maybe you should take a test yourself.
sunloong wrote: If you were unaware that there was a basketball game going on, then you are legally entitled to receive a free hearing test and a free sight test as compensation.

Hearing test: http://www.freehearingtest.ca/

Sight test: http://www.vutest.com/

You are also entitled to this free legal advice.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
WebDesign wrote: There are people there shooting hoops All the time. Lots of those don`t seem to have jobs. What should I do, not get coffee at all... Maybe you should take a test yourself.
…then if you know there are people playing 'all the time' then you have some responsibility yourself since you would have been aware of the hazard and could have avoided putting yourself in a position of risk.

Since you didn't trade the ball for coffee and cleaning, your avenues of recourse are substantially reduced. Sorry to say.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Don;t you think that the people who play should make sure not to hit anyone sitting down on the sitting area all around.. I also know there are other cars on the road, but don`t expect them to hit me.
ALLCAPS wrote: …then if you know there are people playing 'all the time' then you have some responsibility yourself since you would have been aware of the hazard and could have avoided putting yourself in a position of risk.

Since you didn't trade the ball for coffee and cleaning, your avenues of recourse are substantially reduced. Sorry to say.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
165 upvotes
I might be considered horrible for saying this but I lol'd!!!
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13938 posts
5434 upvotes
Lol
nano wrote: i might be considered horrible for saying this but i lol'd!!!
The sweetest gyal
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
nano wrote: I might be considered horrible for saying this but I lol'd!!!

When it happens to you and it`s during office hours, you won`t find it funny at all.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
165 upvotes
WebDesign wrote: When it happens to you and it`s during office hours, you won`t find it funny at all.
I would still laugh because the story around my coffee stained clothing would be epic and my manager would probably let me go home early. It could have been worse you could have been hit by a stray bullet..
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
massakk wrote: I feel like people in Vancouver are getting violent these days. The other day got shoved by some a**hole in super store. Before that some guys were cursing at us from their car and other couple of incidents. It's just within 2-3 months. Within 4 years before I had no experience like that at all.
You might want to read this: http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Vanc ... story.html
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
WebDesign wrote: Don;t you think that the people who play should make sure not to hit anyone sitting down on the sitting area all around.. I also know there are other cars on the road, but don`t expect them to hit me.
Naturally players should be watching out, but the can't…and don't, by the very nature of the game…have control over the ball 100% of the time. You missed out on you opportunity to get any recourse from the players when you gave them their ball back. Accidents happen. Players lose control of the ball. Yes, they are technically liable for any loss or damage that occurs, but if you intentionally go into an area of risk (i.e. right next to an active, unfenced basketball court) you have a personal obligation to be aware of your surroundings and mitigate any losses which may occur. Just like - using your example - you have an obligation to look before you cross the road in order to help reduce your risk of being injured.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
nano wrote: I would still laugh because the story around my coffee stained clothing would be epic and my manager would probably let me go home early. It could have been worse you could have been hit by a stray bullet..
…which is also why I have a full change of clothes permanently at the office, just…in…case.