Computers & Electronics

Usb power adapter comparable with any device?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2014 1:13 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada

Usb power adapter comparable with any device?

A lot of device power adapters just have a usb plug on it and you use any microusb cable to charge the device.

Can you damage a device by using an adapter that is under powered for it? Or will it just be slow.

And Can you damage a device by using an adapter that is over powered for it? Will it charge faster? Will it just draw what it needs and charge the same as usual? Or will it fry?

The specific situation I'm wondering about is this. As long as I don't mind only charging one device at a time, can I take only the the most powerful usb power adapter (playbook adapter is 1.8 A output) and use it to charge my phone (came with a 0.7A one) my wife's phone (came with a 0.4A one) and a sansa clip mp3 player that justcame with the usb cable.

All thoughts appreciated.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1567 posts
192 upvotes
Oakville
Kevinck wrote: Can you damage a device by using an adapter that is under powered for it?

Usually - no.
Kevinck wrote: Or will it just be slow.
Usually - yes.
Or no charge at all, blaming "not compatible" charger. :)
Kevinck wrote: And Can you damage a device by using an adapter that is over powered for it?
Usually - no
Kevinck wrote: Will it just draw what it needs and charge the same as usual?
Usually - yes.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
Note - It's not just the adapter, but the cable too. I have a tablet that won't charge with the cable I use for my phone, regardless of the adapter. Not all USB cables are built the same.