Computers & Electronics

powerline networking vs wifi n 5g networking, which one is better to get best speeds

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2014 3:17 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 18, 2014
88 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa

powerline networking vs wifi n 5g networking, which one is better to get best speeds

OK guys need some advice here.

I just got rogers 150/10 service in my house. Problem being, I have slow speeds/disconnecting issues with wifi and nowhere near the 150 download on powerline networks.

the speeds i get on wifi are close to 20-50 down and 10 up on wireless n 2.4, wireless n 5g i get 50mbps

the speeds i get on powerline are steady at 29 down and 10 up

question i have is what am i doing wrong to not achieve full speeds on powerline or wifi? which one should i stick with because i dont want to drill holes in this house.

modem i got from rogers is the hitron cgn3-rog - their newest modem router. supposedly the best one they have.

any advice is appreciated
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5602 posts
3999 upvotes
GTA
ottawaseller012 wrote: the speeds i get on wifi are close to 20-50 down and 10 up on wireless n 2.4, wireless n 5g i get 50mbps

the speeds i get on powerline are steady at 29 down and 10 up
Wifi/powerline are simply not perfect, even with the best wifi router you won't get those speeds, and if you're on the other side of the house then forget it.
ottawaseller012 wrote: directly connected to modem i get full speed
Wired is obviously the answer.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
SG TCP Optimizer

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Make sure your computer is optimised. I hit 102mbps-107mbps max with an Iphone 5s on 5g. Powerline sucks. Put the modem where you will most likely use your 5g services and let 2.4 carry the wifi to the furthest equipment. Your 5g should be free from interference, so make sure your TCP/IP settings are good.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Temporarily Run a network cable directly from the modem to the computer and see if you can get the speeds you should be getting. If not then either its an issue with your computer OR the internet service.

Once you do that, post results and we can go from there. 1 step at a time.
Jun 15, 2009
764 posts
217 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Temporarily Run a network cable directly from the modem to the computer and see if you can get the speeds you should be getting. If not then either its an issue with your computer OR the internet service.

Once you do that, post results and we can go from there. 1 step at a time.
Second post in the thread OP says directly connected he gets full speed.
Why would anyone assume issue with computer if the speeds he is posting are perfectly reasonable for both WiFi and EoP?

Powerline ethernet depends on many things. Amongst the most important ones are length of power cable run, if the two devices are on the same line or if they have to pass through the fuse box in the basement, if anything else is plugged into the same cable that might be causing interference on the same frequency. It also depends which generation EoP device you have. Older deices are advertised as 150mbps max speed, which means that realistically you can't expect much more then 50mbps under average conditions. I have a set of TP-Link 400mbit ones. When they establish sync their own tool reports max speed of 160mbps and I realistically get about 120mbps.

As for WiFi, if you manage to get 50mbps then be extremely happy. In a moderately saturated 2.4Ghz range I get max of 18mbps. 5Ghz will usually have a lot less interference, which is why you are likely to get higher speeds. The only way to achieve high speed over WiFi N is if both your router and your client support MIMO. On a laptop or phone this is pretty much out of the question. On a desktop, there are wireless network cards you can buy that will support MIMO. And even then, if your router doesn't then there is no point.

Edit: And to answer the actual question on the thread title... Whatever one gives you best speed and stability is the best one. Because there are so many variables it's all trial and error.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
censored wrote: Second post in the thread OP says directly connected he gets full speed.
Why would anyone assume issue with computer if the speeds he is posting are perfectly reasonable for both WiFi and EoP?
opps sorry missed that post from him
Jan 18, 2014
88 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
Sso. Bought a wireless ac usb adapter for my laptop and no matter wjhere i am in.my 3 story house i now get a. Steady 110 mbps downstream and constant 12.9Mb/s download in my steam for getting games. Very happy now
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
Powerline is better if the electrical outlets you intend to use it on are on the same circuit. 5Ghz is the next best thing but I don't like using it for portable devices since it consumes more battery power than 2.4Ghz. Wireless in general also has higher latency than wired if you're into gaming.
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Beradon wrote: Powerline is better if the electrical outlets you intend to use it on are on the same circuit. 5Ghz is the next best thing but I don't like using it for portable devices since it consumes more battery power than 2.4Ghz. Wireless in general also has higher latency than wired if you're into gaming.
As and FYI powerline puts a signal on the electrical wires that can and usually generates a harmonic in the frequencies used by cable devices. Those devices have power adapters that don't filter out the frequency and it can bridge to the cable network causing interference with speeds.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
AudiDude wrote: As and FYI powerline puts a signal on the electrical wires that can and usually generates a harmonic in the frequencies used by cable devices. Those devices have power adapters that don't filter out the frequency and it can bridge to the cable network causing interference with speeds.
Hmm maybe it's time to get DSL? Been running that for years. :)
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
censored wrote: Second post in the thread OP says directly connected he gets full speed.

Powerline ethernet depends on many things. Amongst the most important ones are length of power cable run, if the two devices are on the same line or if they have to pass through the fuse box in the basement, if anything else is plugged into the same cable that might be causing interference on the same frequency. It also depends which generation EoP device you have. Older deices are advertised as 150mbps max speed, which means that realistically you can't expect much more then 50mbps under average conditions. I have a set of TP-Link 400mbit ones. When they establish sync their own tool reports max speed of 160mbps and I realistically get about 120mbps.

As for WiFi, if you manage to get 50mbps then be extremely happy. In a moderately saturated 2.4Ghz range I get max of 18mbps. 5Ghz will usually have a lot less interference, which is why you are likely to get higher speeds. The only way to achieve high speed over WiFi N is if both your router and your client support MIMO. On a laptop or phone this is pretty much out of the question. On a desktop, there are wireless network cards you can buy that will support MIMO. And even then, if your router doesn't then there is no point.

Edit: And to answer the actual question on the thread title... Whatever one gives you best speed and stability is the best one. Because there are so many variables it's all trial and error.
Damn, I thought MIMO was the answer to my slow and choppy wifi. Powerline AV2 MIMO it is.

http://www.wirelessdesignmag.com/news/2 ... -solutions
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Scycotic wrote: I'm curious, are you aware that most of the threads you just posted to are months if not years old?
Yes (one is in early 2014, the other mid-2013), I had search for certain keywords and read the threads through and through before posting.

What's the point of starting a new thread if I can ask on an existing thread?

Oh, you can unsubscribe yourself from these two threads that I recently bumped. My apology if this action offends you.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)