Personal Finance

Retiring Abroad - permanently. Tax free foreign earnings in what countries?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2014 8:26 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1039 posts
160 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario

Retiring Abroad - permanently. Tax free foreign earnings in what countries?

Does anyone here know of someone who has recently retired outside Canada, to a country that has no income tax on foreign income (ie Canadian pension)? It amazes me how common it is, in countries with a much lower cost of living, great healthcare, low crime, etc.

We have travelled a lot but that's not the same as living somewhere, so I'm hoping to make some more connections with those who have been there done that.

Before anyone replies with info about leaving Canada, I've read up a lot on this and have already spoke with CRA and a emigrant lawyer, so i know what is required to emigrate so I'm good with info on that.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
Just curious to know what Countries have a much lower cost of living with great healthcare and a low crime rate?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1039 posts
160 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
At the risk of sounding rude, could you please start your own thread?

I am simply looking to connect with others who have first hand knowledge on retiring to countries that do not tax foreign income.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1039 posts
160 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
bizcoach wrote: I live out of the country just shy of 6 months of the year. Best of both worlds with the palm tree lifestyle when its cold in Canada, and back home for Canadian summers and Canadian health care etc.
Do you know anyone who has retired to a country that does not tax foreign income?
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
Shaynelle wrote: At the risk of sounding rude, could you please start your own thread?

I am simply looking to connect with others who have first hand knowledge on retiring to countries that do not tax foreign income.
Not to sound rude but we were just asking since you said you know of some Countries. If you have that knowledge why not share it?

I doubt you'll find anything more than snow birds on here since it's a Canadian shopping site.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
walker2238 wrote: Just curious to know what Countries have a much lower cost of living with great healthcare and a low crime rate?
Taiwan. One of the best and cheapest healthcare in the world, low crime rate and no tax on foreign income less than 1 million New Taiwan Dollars (~$36k CAD).
Nov 28, 2010
979 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
walker2238 wrote: Just curious to know what Countries have a much lower cost of living with great healthcare and a low crime rate?
He/she is probably leaving our planet...
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
Shaynelle wrote: Does anyone here know of someone who has recently retired outside Canada, to a country that has no income tax on foreign income (ie Canadian pension)? It amazes me how common it is, in countries with a much lower cost of living, great healthcare, low crime, etc.

We have travelled a lot but that's not the same as living somewhere, so I'm hoping to make some more connections with those who have been there done that.

Before anyone replies with info about leaving Canada, I've read up a lot on this and have already spoke with CRA and a emigrant lawyer, so i know what is required to emigrate so I'm good with info on that.
You might get some more help if you provide some more detail on what info you are looking for. So far you've just asked if anyone knows someone who retired outside Canada. If I say "yes I know someone", what are you going to ask next?

In the spirit of sharing info, What is the withholding tax rate on Cdn pensions for non-residents? 25%? What is the ultimate taxation?
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote: Taiwan. One of the best and cheapest healthcare in the world, low crime rate and no tax on foreign income less than 1 million New Taiwan Dollars (~$36k CAD).
It's a dump there..its a second world country..makes China look advanced

Taipei was just so eye opening.. Thought they weren't so run down and old.

I thought they would be semi decent and actually had the illusion they would be close to Singapore or hong Kong level or the tier 1 Chinese cities
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
gilboman wrote: It's a dump there..its a second world country..makes China look advanced

Taipei was just so eye opening.. Thought they weren't so run down and old.

I thought they would be semi decent and actually had the illusion they would be close to Singapore or hong Kong level or the tier 1 Chinese cities
That's the biggest joke I've read all day, thanks for the laugh. Taiwan is a developed country by every metric.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... _of_Taiwan

lol @ Hong Kong. Considering the expensive cages that HK people live in, extremely poor air quality, and the wide gap between rich and poor, there's no comparison between the quality of life between HK and Taiwan (that is, HK is much inferior).
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
311 upvotes
Shaynelle wrote: Does anyone here know of someone who has recently retired outside Canada, to a country that has no income tax on foreign income...?.
KC Irving, the billionaire who owned Irving Oil of New Brunswick, moved from Canada to Bermuda.

As u might have learned from your tax lawyer, there is cdn tax withholdings on your cdn sourced income and there will be no double tax relief to u even if your tax haven country doesnt tax the cdn income.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3537 posts
1279 upvotes
Ottawa
jedi1648 wrote: .....As u might have learned from your tax lawyer, there is cdn tax withholdings on your cdn sourced income and there will be no double tax relief to u even if your tax haven country doesnt tax the cdn income.
^agree with this. Your pension will be taxed at source. So even if you find a country that doesn't tax your Canadian-source pension, Canada will still do so. You can also look for a country that has a tax treaty with Canada to avoid being taxed twice. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/trty-eng.html

Here's a helpful link if your income is CPP, QPP, or OAS. http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/serv ... rtax.shtml

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)