Personal Finance

I am Canadian but purchase lots of things online in USD... how can i save money?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2014 10:35 am
Tags:
None
Jan 29, 2008
465 posts
69 upvotes

I am Canadian but purchase lots of things online in USD... how can i save money?

I'm canadian but i buy a lot of stuff from Aliexpress which deals with USD. I purchase with a TD visa so i assume im getting hammered with conversion charges n what not everytime i make an order? what would be my best course of action to limit these charges when I am purchasing stuff online in USD?

some purchases can be up to 7-800$ btw

Thanks!
6 replies
Aug 2, 2011
236 posts
191 upvotes
Vancouver
Amazon.ca Rewards Visa. No annual fee, 1% cashback on everything, and no conversion fee.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
If you have no US dollar income or savings than Amazon.ca visa is your best bet. Using a US dollar visa makes no sense if you don't have US income to pay it off.

If you have US dollar income or US dollar savings then you should get a US dollar bank account and US dollar credit card. There are numerous options for this and a whole thread in this forum dedicated to their comparison so I won't go into it here.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Oct 17, 2013
583 posts
36 upvotes
brunes wrote: if you have no us dollar income or savings than amazon.ca visa is your best bet. Using a us dollar visa makes no sense if you don't have us income to pay it off.

If you have us dollar income or us dollar savings then you should get a us dollar bank account and us dollar credit card. There are numerous options for this and a whole thread in this forum dedicated to their comparison so i won't go into it here.
Jun 10, 2010
336 posts
111 upvotes
Seconded get a Chase card, but if you're spending a few thousand or more per year, their Marriott card is better value. Assuming you do any travel, of course.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
Check if the sites allow you to charge in CAD. When I order things from Chinese sites I can usually select CAD instead of USD and its the proper exchange, no markup.