Tags:
None
Sep 4, 2007
611 posts
80 upvotes
Orange Key holder in…

Help with buring a restore CD that is XP Embedded

Need some ideas here please....

I need to create a restore CD. It is available for download from the manufacturer. It is an old product that runs on XP Embedded system.

ftp://ftp.grassvalley.com/turbo/images/ ... 234.iso.gi

Anyway, I downloaded it and found the file extension is .gi.

As per the manufacturer, you can burn this with Roxio (which comes with Dell, I don't have Dell).

I tried imgburn, UltraISO, PowerISO... you name it, I tried it.

None can burn the image properly. I just ended up with the XP stuff but no actual files to restore. The 2nd session is hidden. The disc size is correct.

UltraISO is the only software that can see the two sessions inside the image. I even tried to extract the 2nd track and add it back to the 1st session and save it as ISO to burn.Something messes up with this method so it crashes during restore.

Any other free CD burning software I can try?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
dvd5 wrote: Need some ideas here please....

I need to create a restore CD. It is available for download from the manufacturer. It is an old product that runs on XP Embedded system.

ftp://ftp.grassvalley.com/turbo/images/ ... 234.iso.gi

Anyway, I downloaded it and found the file extension is .gi.

As per the manufacturer, you can burn this with Roxio (which comes with Dell, I don't have Dell).

I tried imgburn, UltraISO, PowerISO... you name it, I tried it.

None can burn the image properly. I just ended up with the XP stuff but no actual files to restore. The 2nd session is hidden. The disc size is correct.

UltraISO is the only software that can see the two sessions inside the image. I even tried to extract the 2nd track and add it back to the 1st session and save it as ISO to burn.Something messes up with this method so it crashes during restore.

Any other free CD burning software I can try?
Both PowerISO and UltraISO work well.

For PowerISO, go to Options>>Configurations>>File Associations (/select all)

If you scroll down the file association window, .gi is half way down. Burning .gi image file should follow the same procedure as any ISO.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
If all else fails, just get Roxio (don't know what the burning software is called). It's not exclusive to Dells (nor is it free).
Sep 4, 2007
611 posts
80 upvotes
Orange Key holder in…
Imgburn fail.
UltraISO fail.
PowerISO fail.

In the end, I found somebody that has Roxio on their computer and download it and burn me the disc.

Thanks for all the input.