• Feb 28th, 2014 1:37 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
2206 posts
242 upvotes

Recover data from SD card

Can somebody recommend how I can recover data from my SD card? I've tried all those ZAR/Recuva/etc. apps that recover deleted files / lost partitions etc. but I don't think that will help my problem.

I was trying to copy all of the data on the MicroSD card in my phone to my computer. It was working fine until I unmounted it from my phone. When I went to plug it into my computer, it didn't recognize the card.

I then tried to re-mount it on my phone, and it couldn't detect an SD card either.

When I plug it into my computer, disk management doesn't detect it. so re-partitioning / reformatting isn't an option.

any other ways to recover? I have a ton of stuff on the 32GB card
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
2206 posts
242 upvotes
none of those seem to work as they can't seem to even detect the SD card as connected :(

not sure if this makes a difference, but in device manager, I get the error This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
You will have to format it for it to be able to use the data recovery software. Or else you will have to boot some particular Linux base OS onto a USB and try to recover the SD card.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
LEXX911 wrote: You will have to format it for it to be able to use the data recovery software. Or else you will have to boot some particular Linux base OS onto a USB and try to recover the SD card.
Do not format the card - recovery software should read and rebuild the file system structure (in theory)... if none of these tools are working:

a) the card reader/USB drives are FUBAR
b) card is FUBAR beyond repair

ElvaSoShexai wrote: not sure if this makes a difference, but in device manager, I get the error This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Is your card reader damaged/broken?

Do you have another reader you can use - ideally another computer?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
2206 posts
242 upvotes
I cant format the card because no device can see it. I tried on the built in card reader of 3 laptops and my phone.
Banned
Jan 20, 2013
685 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
If nothing can see the card then it's not recoverable.
Bill
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1705 posts
61 upvotes
Windsor
My Galaxy S3 eats cards.. Two 64's and a 16 died in it.. I finally gave up and don't use the SD card slot anymore. It's apparently a known problem with no fix.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
If you have any other card reader like a camera, tablet or an ereader try that if they fit or there's an adapter to make them fit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)