None
Deal Addict
May 22, 2012
1015 posts
118 upvotes
MONTR

Goods and services tax

Hi,

I got a paper from CRA titled "Goods and services tax / harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit notice" saying that I owe them $150. Anyone knows what this is, or if it's normal?

I never got it before and I already paid $1k to CRA a while back stating that they revised my tax return. I don't know why they keep sending me new bills but I thought I would ask here first.

Thanks.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1091 upvotes
lachdanan wrote: Hi,

I got a paper from CRA titled "Goods and services tax / harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit notice" saying that I owe them $150. Anyone knows what this is, or if it's normal?

I never got it before and I already paid $1k to CRA a while back stating that they revised my tax return. I don't know why they keep sending me new bills but I thought I would ask here first.

Thanks.
If you ended up with higher income it would mean you are eligible for a smaller gst credit. So you need to repay the extra amount that you received.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2012
1015 posts
118 upvotes
MONTR
Thanks alot so basically that's something I received from them in my last tax return (not this year), and now they figured I made more money than they thought, so this is the one time difference I have to pay?

Though I don't know how they always seem to keep changing how much I made, there is no new income that could alter the results. That's why I was confused.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1091 upvotes
No the gst credit is desperate from your income taxes (but based on your income). If you get the credit you usually receive a payment 4 times a year.

Look on your notice of assessment. It will show you what they changed. If you don't understand it then go ask someone. You really should understand what they are changing.

Did they ask you to submit information to support something on your return and did you ignore it?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2012
1015 posts
118 upvotes
MONTR
Thanks no they didn't ask me to submit anything. I remember signing up for GST credit and there was another one but for that one they said I am not eligible. But I don't remember getting a payment from them. Do they just send it to direct deposit but no paper showing it?

It doesn't show what they changed though. Just says the amount owed is past due even though I got the bill 2 days ago.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Everything's direct deposit now, but your last Notice of Assessment would have told you what you would be receiving starting July of last year (and, of course, you could check the bank account you have set up with CRA).
Sep 10, 2010
154 posts
27 upvotes
OP just call 1-800-959-1953 and they will help you determine why they are asking you to pay back the GST/HST credit. It usually happens when either your income is revised upwards (thus, reducing your credit), or you are determined to have been ineligible for a credit which was paid out previously.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
182 upvotes
lachdanan wrote: Hi,

Thanks.
You paid $1k to CRA a while back stating that they revised my tax return. Why did you pay if you don't know the reason?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2012
1015 posts
118 upvotes
MONTR
a_1_a wrote: You paid $1k to CRA a while back stating that they revised my tax return. Why did you pay if you don't know the reason?
In the paper, it showed that my income was higher or something, they basically had all the numbers. But I got a couple K as return, then they sent me the revised one later on.