Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1146 posts
418 upvotes
Leduc

My replacement visa arrived in an opened envelope

Have you ever had a credit card arrive with the envelope opened or partially opened? Mine did this week. The envelope doesn't look tampered with it simply looks like it was never sealed. There's no residue on the back of the envelope and I tried to seal part of it myself by wetting the strip and I could.

Normally I would just ask for a replacement but I learned a few weeks back that getting a new number basically cancels your existing card and you cancel a card you lose your positive credit history in the process. Ive had this card for a long time and have a lot of stuff tied to it.

Should I ask to get the card replaced or activate the card and keep an eye on it?
16 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
microwave wrote: Have you ever had a credit card arrive with the envelope opened or partially opened? Mine did this week. The envelope doesn't look tampered with it simply looks like it was never sealed. There's no residue on the back of the envelope and I tried to seal part of it myself by wetting the strip and I could.

Normally I would just ask for a replacement but I learned a few weeks back that getting a new number basically cancels your existing card and you cancel a card you lose your positive credit history in the process. Ive had this card for a long time and have a lot of stuff tied to it.

Should I ask to get the card replaced or activate the card and keep an eye on it?
The least you could do is let the card issuer know. I imagine they would cancel it and replace it as to protect themselves and you from the potential of fraud.

Myself personally I would have called them immediately.
Dec 26, 2013
668 posts
59 upvotes
Replace it.

You should keep the credit history. It's the same account simply a different card number.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1617 posts
374 upvotes
Brampton
My visa envelope was torn on the right edge. I got it replaced with another one.

Everything required to complete an online transaction was in the envelope - card (expiry, cvv and name) and the billing address.

Better get it replaced with new one.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6315 posts
3092 upvotes
Manitoba
The new machines, sometimes tear the envelopes if letters are too thick...but if it wasn't sealed which happens all the time...that's the sender
Oct 14, 2012
954 posts
728 upvotes
Woodstock
If it was my card, I would get it replaced and ask for it to be delivered to my local bank branch where I could pick it up by showing photo id.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Have it replaced. It won't happen overnight though so I hope you have another card.

A different situation, but my CIBC card was used at a gas station (by us) - $12.00. A week later the number it was being used all over Quebec and Mexico. I received a call from the Fraud Dept. and I told her which charges were not ours - and she told me that she would send me a new card by mail - and that she was located in Canada (I asked). Canada was in the middle of a nation-wide postal strike. I told her I was hanging up and calling back. I had not given the caller any information other than yes/no to the fraudulent charges. I spoke with another person and explained the issue. So the new card was sent to the branch but it took a week and a half. And the person I originally spoke with, who was legit, was told to actually think rather than use the script for cards that have been compromised.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2011
1617 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
Blanche123 wrote: Have it replaced. It won't happen overnight though so I hope you have another card.

A different situation, but my CIBC card was used at a gas station (by us) - $12.00. A week later the number it was being used all over Quebec and Mexico. I received a call from the Fraud Dept. and I told her which charges were not ours - and she told me that she would send me a new card by mail - and that she was located in Canada (I asked). Canada was in the middle of a nation-wide postal strike. I told her I was hanging up and calling back. I had not given the caller any information other than yes/no to the fraudulent charges. I spoke with another person and explained the issue. So the new card was sent to the branch but it took a week and a half. And the person I originally spoke with, who was legit, was told to actually think rather than use the script for cards that have been compromised.
lol harsh
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
479 upvotes
MONTR
replace it or someone is going to have a big surprise at the end.
Mar 25, 2010
239 posts
44 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote: Have it replaced. It won't happen overnight though so I hope you have another card.

Why did you act like a ***** to the person? Did she do something wrong? Anyways, it's understandable that you would call back for security reasons.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1146 posts
418 upvotes
Leduc
alright ill call them after my copy of titanfall ships.

the card is currently a cibc visa classic. since I have to get a new number can I switch to a different card without losing credit history or my hugely reduced interest rate?

if so any recommendations on which card to get? I prefer a card that is 100% free, so no fees/hidden charges. from what I can tell theres three options. (correct me if im wrong)

classic - 100,000 Insurance, car rental discount
platinum - 500,000 Insurance, car rental discount
Dividend - 100,000 Insurance, cash back, no tap and go paypass???(doesn't have the logo)

I don't understand why they offer classic when platinum is a better version of it unless im missing something.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19791 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
What about if you pick it up from the branch?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1146 posts
418 upvotes
Leduc
microwave wrote: alright ill call them after my copy of titanfall ships.

the card is currently a cibc visa classic. since I have to get a new number can I switch to a different card without losing credit history or my hugely reduced interest rate?

if so any recommendations on which card to get? I prefer a card that is 100% free, so no fees/hidden charges. from what I can tell theres three options. (correct me if im wrong)

classic - 100,000 Insurance, car rental discount
platinum - 500,000 Insurance, car rental discount
Dividend - 100,000 Insurance, cash back, no tap and go paypass???(doesn't have the logo)

I don't understand why they offer classic when platinum is a better version of it unless im missing something.
no one?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)