Tags:
None
15 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Sadly, I still need voice. VoIP is just not reliable enough over cellular network. If it wasn't for that, I would have made the switch over a year ago.
Aug 24, 2011
56 posts
14 upvotes
My coworker once pocketed his 7 inch playbook to show me that my Note 2 (brand new at the time) wasn't the only thing that was pocketable. But just because it fits doesn't mean it'll be in any way comfortable.

I could see bringing only a tablet most of the time but I don't think i could replace phone completely
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
I tried Fongo with N5 on Bell Post-Paid, the echo just wouldn't go away, the delay was slightly worse than Skype. The idea of consolidation was awesome but in reality you have to see if it actually works for your needs.
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
LongLiveRFD wrote: I tried Fongo with N5 on Bell Post-Paid, the echo just wouldn't go away, the delay was slightly worse than Skype. The idea of consolidation was awesome but in reality you have to see if it actually works for your needs.
what were your settings? I had echo cancellation turned on and everything else was unchecked.

I'm also using CM 11 where they made changes to how the device works with VOIP apps and everything has been going well for me since
hlte: Enable compressed VoIP (android_device_samsung_hlte)
hal: Add suport for dedicated VoIP devices (android_hardware_qcom_audio-caf)
audio: Add support for tunnel mode recording and compress voip
CM 11 Nightly Changelog
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
soccerboy wrote: what were your settings? I had echo cancellation turned on and everything else was unchecked.

I'm also using CM 11 where they made changes to how the device works with VOIP apps and everything has been going well for me since

CM 11 Nightly Changelog
So was your voice quality close to legacy voice?

If so, I don't mind paying someone for all the tweaking.

Although the other concern was stability of LTE connection within GTA, sometimes the LTE is just HSPA+ with weak signals.
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
LongLiveRFD wrote: So was your voice quality close to legacy voice?

If so, I don't mind paying someone for all the tweaking.

Although the other concern was stability of LTE connection within GTA, sometimes the LTE is just HSPA+ with weak signals.
You don't need to pay someone. If you want, PM me and I will send you the instructions.

What you need to be concerned about is:

Backup everything: You will need to unlock the bootloader which wipes everything.
Download 3 filess (zip files + gapps + recovery)
Download Android SDK onto your computer

Once you have those, it should be pretty straight-forward
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
I tried pocketing my N7 3G, no go. I guess I need to buy a bigger pair of pants. Still waiting for hangouts for android to pick up the calling feature. iOS has had it forever already. Maybe it will work better than Fongo. Even on home wifi, I find fongo performance to be iffy sometimes.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
my nexus 7 fits in my pockets. then again i'm not wearing tight jeans like all the hipsters. good old levis red tabs.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I've been pocketing my tablet since my Galaxy Tab.

/get off my lawn
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
LongLiveRFD wrote: I tried Fongo with N5 on Bell Post-Paid, the echo just wouldn't go away, the delay was slightly worse than Skype. The idea of consolidation was awesome but in reality you have to see if it actually works for your needs.
My concern was mostly about reliability for incoming calls.
VoIP is finicky about keeping a connection open in order to receive calls and cellular internet isn't exactly the most stable thing.
Back in the early days of 3G, I attempted to use VoIP on my Windows mobile PPC and it was quite inconsistent for incoming calls.
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
alkizmo wrote: My concern was mostly about reliability for incoming calls.
VoIP is finicky about keeping a connection open in order to receive calls and cellular internet isn't exactly the most stable thing.
Back in the early days of 3G, I attempted to use VoIP on my Windows mobile PPC and it was quite inconsistent for incoming calls.
It depends on what cellular internet service you have. I've tried it on Bell and Telus LTE network and it works just fine.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
soccerboy wrote: It depends on what cellular internet service you have. I've tried it on Bell and Telus LTE network and it works just fine.
I just can't trust it for now. It's still data dependent and there is no "push" data AFAIK. So the VOIP provider can't push data to your phone if your phone went to some sort of power saving mode and only receives voice calls.

Anyway, unless you can show me a data only plan that is under 45$ for 6GB in QC, I won't be saving any money to switch to data only :razz:
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
I couldn't bear finishing the entire video because of the questionable fashion sense displayed by that guy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)