• Mar 9th, 2014 3:54 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1020 posts
462 upvotes

Walmart.ca Order Froze... Pickle Juice Everywhere

I had an order from Walmart.ca delivered yesterday, and the bottom of the box was soaked with pickle juice. I figured the jar of pickles I'd bought had broken, but it turned out that the jar was intact and the freezing liquid forced itself out of the seam between the lid and the jar. The package hadn't been on my doorstep for more than a few minutes, so I am thinking it happened in the delivery truck.

Has this happened to anyone else? This seems like something someone at Walmart should have seen coming... At this rate, every Canada Post delivery truck will smell like a garbage truck in a month.
30 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
yeah i don't think that many people order pickled items
Feb 9, 2011
883 posts
131 upvotes
Montr
Happened to me with soap, i called them they credited my product i sent them a picture of the damage
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the laugh!
Dec 11, 2013
29 posts
10 upvotes
Abbotsford
I can't belive someone ordered pickles online.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
allyourbase wrote: Has this happened to anyone else?
Yeah…happens to everyone on my street all the time, because we all order pickles online. Thanks for the heads-up. :)
This seems like something someone at Walmart should have seen coming... At this rate, every Canada Post delivery truck will smell like a garbage truck in a month.
…and it's not something someone at your house should have seen coming? Would you say the same thing if your package got wet because it was left outside for a couple of minutes during a summer thunderstorm? I'm not thinking retailers are going to put your pickles in thermal insulators to protect against all kinds of weather, nor should they.

Give the retailer a call and though you're not really entitled to it, you'll likely get a replacement product. Good luck.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
ALLCAPS wrote: Yeah…happens to everyone on my street all the time, because we all order pickles online. Thanks for the heads-up. :)
I laughed so hard I scared my cat who was sleeping on the floor out in the hallway.

The great Walmart Canada Post pickle conspiracy. How will we ever sleep at night knowing our pickles could be sitting on a delivery truck freezing in this extreme weather. Oh the humanity.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
Darwades wrote: I can't belive someone ordered pickles online.
Maybe he ordered cucumbers and vinegar and this is a bigger disaster than originally thought..
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1020 posts
462 upvotes
Perhaps some of you don't grasp the gravity of the situation. Check out this new footage of a Canada Post employee opening up the back of their truck:

Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6827 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
You should not order items containing liquids which might freeze in the wintertime from WalMart. Your bad. And WalMart should not offer for sale online items containing liquids which might freeze in the wintertime. Their bad. The fault here is 50-50 between you and WalMart. You should be able to get a full refund from them.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
woof wrote: You should not order items containing liquids which might freeze in the wintertime from WalMart. Your bad. And WalMart should not offer for sale online items containing liquids which might freeze in the wintertime. Their bad. The fault here is 50-50 between you and WalMart. You should be able to get a full refund from them.
I put more blame on Walmart. If you can't deliver a product successfully because of the weather, you shouldn't sell it online. I see warnings on retailer websites in the US when shipping things that might melt (I assume the same might exist for the cold).
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Mar 5, 2014
3 posts
I order liquids all the time. I ordered 10 bottles of Purex laundry soap a few weeks back for $2.49 each. All my soap was intact. I figured I would have had an issue but nope!

Sorry to hear about your pickles.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2476 posts
251 upvotes
North York
KatPebble wrote: I order liquids all the time. I ordered 10 bottles of Purex laundry soap a few weeks back for $2.49 each. All my soap was intact. I figured I would have had an issue but nope!

Sorry to hear about your pickles.

Plastic vs glass
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus via Mobilicity $25 BTS unlimited talk/text/data

:lol: $5,000.00 CASH < 2 Minutes :lol:
:lol: McD's
Online Monopoly Winner :lol:
Mar 5, 2014
3 posts
When plastic freezes it gets like glass. You drop it, it is bound to crack. Just like glass. Your post has no relevance.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
KatPebble wrote: When plastic freezes it gets like glass. You drop it, it is bound to crack. Just like glass. Your post has no relevance.
it does have relevance.

when liquid freezes, it expands. plastic allows for expansion. see how it works?

OP's pickle jar did not break. the liquid froze and leaked.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
rocking23nf wrote: ordered pickles online? hahahaha
Hey, free shipping, why not?
Seriously, walmart is nuts about what it sells online. Everything has free shipping!
I bought a pretty bulky sled for 10$ with free shipping... free express shipping, wtf?!
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1020 posts
462 upvotes
alkizmo wrote: Hey, free shipping, why not?!
Exactly. It's a 30 minute round trip for me to Walmart... That can add up to a lot of gas money over the months. I use the money I save on gas to buy my fresh products from local grocers and butchers.

Anyway, It's not like I urgently needed pickles or anything, and if I can grocery shop from the comfort of my home, why not? (I know the answer is "Frozen Leaky Pickles", but lesson learned.)

This thread was created to be lighthearted... I never stated that I was upset nor looking to be compensated. Perhaps some of you need to lighten up.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)