• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2014 7:34 pm
Tags:
Aug 9, 2010
276 posts
286 upvotes

GTX 770 Price / Brands

Hey guys
So i've been pretty much fondled over by the market for GPUs lately. I've been wanting to change my current MSI Twin Frozr Radeon 6950 for a new card over the past... i'd say 8-12 months.

I've come to the conclusion that I can't wait any longer ( unless someone tells me that the market will become normal again in the next few months ), and that Radeons are out of the question.

I'm now left with GTX's, which I have no experience in. I've been looking at websites like Tom's and Anand and VideoBenchmarks and such, to help me with my decision.

What I need : I am gaming at 1440p, so I definitly need 4GB ( which seems pretty rare for Geforce right now for some reason... ). I also dont wanna pay over 400$. According to some websites, the best would be the GTX 770 at a 310$ price point ( which i'll come to in the next few lines ).

Apparently, the 3 brands I should be looking at is Asus, Gigabyte and MSI. So i've been using all the tools/websites at my disposal to see what the price would be for the 4gb version of these cards...

The best price I could come up with was ... wait for it... a Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb from FUTURESHOP
I never buy @ Futureshop at their price. EVER. I think the last time I went there without pricematching was 5 years ago.. So something's wrong. I think I might have missed a better price somewhere else.. Because right now, all the prices for 4gb seem to go in the 480$ range for the 3 brands I specified...

So my questions to any of you is :
1. Am I looking at the right brands ?
2. Should I buy now or wait ?
3. At the current market, should I expect to pay 390$ for a gtx 770 (for these 3 brands, 4GB) or are there better prices to be found - REGULARLY - ( i don't want to wait 3-4 month for a deal that MIGHT happen on a crap-sale from NCIX or Futureshop just to save 20$ .. on a mail-in rebate )
4. Does anyone know of any better deal right now for one of these cards ?

Thanks for your time guys.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3282 posts
1046 upvotes
Toronto
This is the cheapest price according to partpicker, so buy it now. Partpicker might not be showing some sale prices so if you want to find out what was the cheapest price and when, create a new thread about this card for $390 in hot deals section.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Aug 9, 2010
276 posts
286 upvotes
Lol and get flamed because it's not on special ? i thought about doing that but then I see how people treat others ( not by personal experience ) when it's "NORMAL PRICE". Not a pretty sight. Especially when people say " OMG THIS CARD COULD BE BOUGHT FOR 290$ NOT A HOT DEAL " yeah... maybe like a year ago, before the market went bat- ***** crazy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
The ASUS GTX 770 was going for 360@ NCIX plus a 10$ rebate. The Zotac was 250 without a rebate at Bestbuy.

I bought an MSI for 360 though, (cooler is smaller than the ASUS, better chance of it fitting in my case)
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Aug 9, 2010
276 posts
286 upvotes
Details about those deals ?
and are we talking about 4 GB ? It's a very important distinction.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1518 posts
164 upvotes
the thing about 256bit memory bus.is that it's not big or powerful enough to handle that high of vram (4GB)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519 ... -its-vram/

Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/441 ... ram-usage/

Non-reference GeForce GTX 770 comparison linustech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRy1I5Wto54

I'm in the same boat as you

I was looking to Buy an Asus GTX 770 2gb or GTX 770 4gb, but after reading in different forum about the 256bit memory bus I decided to look for an Asus GTX 780 with a 384 Bit

Cheers.
Jul 1, 2009
711 posts
133 upvotes
I can't say the the 4GB is worth it. I have one and use it to power my 27" display. I rarely see games use anywhere past 2GB, so it might be fine to stick with 2GB versions, unless you are playing games which can be heavily modded.
As for companies, my personal experience says go with EVGA. Avoid Zotac, I've had nothing but problems with them. I've had to RMA 3 times in the past 4 months, each time wasting about 2+ weeks of my time (and its only to Vancouver and back...)
I would go for the GTX 780 (either regular or Ti, its up to your budget). I'm sure you can sell that 6950 for 150+ depending on which fool you sell it to. So many miners out there who want cards like that.
Aug 9, 2010
276 posts
286 upvotes
i appreciate your input.

But i must say that I chose 770 because 780's are way out of my budget. It's not like it was 50$ more.. were talking about 50% ( 200$ ) more right now.. :/
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1518 posts
164 upvotes
Lukamo wrote: i appreciate your input.

But i must say that I chose 770 because 780's are way out of my budget. It's not like it was 50$ more.. were talking about 50% ( 200$ ) more right now.. :/

you can find sometimes a decent deal on a GTX 780 on kijiji

PS: if you like AMD Card

Amd is going to Release the R9-280 next week & hopefully you got lucky & get your hand on a video card with 3gb of VRAM & 384 bit
memory bus instead of 256 bit the GTX 770 has

Asus Radeon R9 280 DirectCU II Series Unleashed – R9280-DC2-3GD5 and R9280-DC2T-3GD5:

http://thepcenthusiast.com/asus-radeon- ... unleashed/

Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
May wrote: you can find sometimes a decent deal on a GTX 780 on kijiji

PS: if you like AMD Card

Amd is going to Release the R9-280 next week & hopefully you got lucky & get your hand on a video card with 3gb of VRAM & 384 bit
memory bus instead of 256 bit the GTX 770 has

Asus Radeon R9 280 DirectCU II Series Unleashed – R9280-DC2-3GD5 and R9280-DC2T-3GD5:

http://thepcenthusiast.com/asus-radeon- ... unleashed/

Good luck.
that card will be sold out the day it comes out. No point waiting for AMD, just get the GTX. I just don't see why Nvidia cards are so inflated now. I bought an EVGA GTX780 for 400$ back in October, now the Zotac version is on sale for 514$
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Aug 9, 2010
276 posts
286 upvotes
because they know they can sell their cards higher because its the only viable option now that Radeon is hoarded like there was no tomorrow.

All that said, i would avoid pre-owned GPU's as a purchase because I dont know how they were treated and/or if they were refurbished or whatever. and I don't want to start worrying about that.

By the way, the link you provided that explained the situation about 4gb VRM, the guy specifies that if there's GPU Boost 2.0 it should be ok.. no ?

In his post :
"Conclusion
So if you're buying a variant of a graphics card with double the memory then make sure that either the memory clock is increased or you know you'll be able to increase it (gpu boost 2.0) otherwise all that extra memory (and that extra cash) is wasted. Since memory clocks generally aren't very very high a good rule of thumb is 128bits and 1000mhz effective memory clock per gb (this can change to 64bits and 2000mhz and vice versa so make sure you do your math :D to work out if you're going to be able to use all that memory)"
Aug 9, 2010
276 posts
286 upvotes
Hmm the more i read up, the more I see threads where people say that unless I use for 3way SLI, it won't really matter wether it's 2gb or 4gb. People seem to say that GTX 770 will be lacking horsepower to actually feed a game that would necessitate more than 2gb... that the bottleneck would actually be the power of the card and not the GB memory..

I'm confused now..
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1518 posts
164 upvotes
Dinujan wrote: that card will be sold out the day it comes out. No point waiting for AMD, just get the GTX. I just don't see why Nvidia cards are so inflated now. I bought an EVGA GTX780 for 400$ back in October, now the Zotac version is on sale for 514$

You right let's leave the AMD video card to people who mine Litecoins

Too bad AMD it doesn't do anything for their customer who like Gaming

and allowing the greedy retailers to take advantage of poor Customer by Jacking up the price

In respect to "why Nvidia cards are so inflated now" It's simple the Greedy Retailers wants to Compete the Price of Nvidia Video card to AMD Video cards
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
Definitely not a good time to buy videocards. I've got a pair of 5770s in crossfire since the first bitcoin rush, was looking at the 290s back when they came out but waited for sales, but alas LTC took hold :( waiting until these LTC asic get more optimized then we'll see a billion used cards on the market