None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver

DVDFab.com shut down by court order

http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-court-order ... ds-140310/

"A New York federal court has granted the seizure of several domain names, bank funds and social media accounts belonging to DVD ripping software company DVDFab. Judge Broderick ruled in favor of AACS, the licensing outfit founder by Warner Bros, Disney, Microsoft, Intel and others." "Judge Broderick also ordered several banks and payment providers to freeze or stop processing the company’s funds. This includes PayPal, Amazon Payments, Visa and MasterCard." March 10/2014

The company violated the U.S.-only DMCA law that circumvention of copy protection even for fair-use purposes is illegal. The company is based in China, but the U.S. court ordered various domain registrars based in the United States to remove all of DVDFab's domain names. And of course they can cut off most payment systems because of their U.S. links.

Anyone feel a chill wind?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
4050 posts
1462 upvotes
GTA North
One of my goto programs back in the day when I use to have discs.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
[QUOTE] To stop the Chinese-based DVDFab from distributing its software in public, AACS moved for a preliminary injunction. After DVDFab failed to respond in court the request was granted by New York Federal Judge Vernon Broderick. TF has obtained a copy of the order.[/QUOTE]

.lol

There is still so many tools for ripping optical media.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
eldiablo wrote: There is still so many tools for ripping optical media.
Not really.

There are only a few companies big enough to keep up diligently with all the crazy new DVD and Blu-Ray copy protection variations that the studios keep introducing with new discs. If they nail the top few like this and scare the smaller ones out of the business, you could be left with few or no options.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
2002 posts
1465 upvotes
I don't think DVD can have any "copy protection variations", or else my dumb 8-years old DVD player won't be able to play it. Blu-ray disks: sure, there are mechanisms to update your player's firmware to the most recent copy protection scheme.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
pulsar123 wrote: I don't think DVD can have any "copy protection variations", or else my dumb 8-years old DVD player won't be able to play it. Blu-ray disks: sure, there are mechanisms to update your player's firmware to the most recent copy protection scheme.
Yes, DVDs have copy protection variations. Why do you think companies like DVDFab produce monthly updates? What the studios do is try to find ways to introduce tricky errors into the standard DVD structure that will be ignored by most DVD players but will trip up most DVD copiers. They keep coming up with new ones. That's why old DVD copying programs like DVD Shrink can't copy most newer movie releases on DVD.

Examples:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARccOS_Protection
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.c ... introduced
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
I use both Handbrake and AnyDVD. Handbrake has no DRM-removal capability, but works fine when paired with AnyDVD. Let's hope Slysoft isn't the next target, but just in case I'm diligently downloading every new update from them as it comes out.

Speaking of which, there has been a new update for AnyDVD about once a month for as long as I've used them, and every single one says in the release notes "New (DVD): Support for new discs". If you don't understand why new copy protection variations for DVDs are possible and frequent, then you need to do some reading. The fact that the CSS master key (or rather one possible key for one half of the CSS encryption) has been known for years is beside the point. :rolleyes:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)