• Mar 26th, 2014 10:35 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 12, 2005
733 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto

Home theater sound system help fast!

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I need some advice on home theater sound systems. I have a budget of about $1000 (tax incl). I haven't had the chance to look yet, but so far only looked at Bose and they have one system (AM15-II) that's in my range, but not sure how good it is. And this is for the basement. I need some advice fats because basement is in the process of being drywalled and it's much better to pulled the wires before drywall.

Help! Any advice much appreciated!
13 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 10, 2008
15200 posts
35260 upvotes
Nation's capital
Just buy wiring for now , run them thru walls before they drywall them .Can always use them after on any system .
Oct 12, 2005
733 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
But I was told to use OEM wiring to avoid any issues. Is there really a difference?

That's why I was in a hurry to get advice so that I can buy the proper wiring
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
deals newbie wrote: But I was told to use OEM wiring to avoid any issues. Is there really a difference?

That's why I was in a hurry to get advice so that I can buy the proper wiring
Brand name wiring is a fraud. You want 12awg speaker wire just to cover any potential needs. 14awg is more than fine if you are on a budget but want to wire any potential location
Aug 28, 2007
727 posts
619 upvotes
Thorold
deals newbie wrote: Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I need some advice on home theater sound systems. I have a budget of about $1000 (tax incl). I haven't had the chance to look yet, but so far only looked at Bose and they have one system (AM15-II) that's in my range, but not sure how good it is. And this is for the basement. I need some advice fats because basement is in the process of being drywalled and it's much better to pulled the wires before drywall.

Help! Any advice much appreciated!
Avoid Bose.

Monoprice has some good speaker wire cheap.

If you do some research, read some reviews, you'd save a bit buying 2nd hand.

Haven't looked into in awhile, but I'm heard good things about the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer speakers. Not sure where they're available though.

Personally, I'd throw $500 on a pair of towers/bookshelf speakers and $500 at the receiver. Then add a matching surrounds/center when I had the cash for it.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1860 posts
511 upvotes
Don't worry about the sound system at this point. Just get the wiring (good quality) in there now. You may need to determine if you would want a 7.1 or 7.2 system now or in the future. Either way run wires for it as you can always cover with plates if you don't use.

Are you planning on running a projector? If so then you will need a 120V outlet in the ceiling and an HDMI cable (at minimum). You may also want to run spare multi-conductor cable to trigger projector screen if used. Also adding support between the joists where the projector is going to mounted will help in mounting the projector (same goes for the screen).

Basic premise is just use some forethought, DON"T cheap out now as it is easier and cheaper to do extra now rather than kick yourself later thinking "I should have just done that"! I have fallen into that trap before. I am fishing wires in the walls now for my home theatre system. I am running an extra 40ft HDMI cable to my projector just in case the one that I need fails.

Plan on where your equipment will sit and run wires accordingly and then throw in some spares.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1218 posts
601 upvotes
North of Toronto
You should post a layout/picture with dimensions of the room, where the tv is going to be, etc etc... I am sure a few of us can point you in the right direction to atleast get the wiring done. After thats done. Take your time and watch for Sales and pick up the speakers and receiver.
Oct 12, 2005
733 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks to all that replied. Couldn't wait, had to make decision as construction was going too fast. By I decided to get Onkyo HTS5600 as it was on sale and got the 16AWG wires to go with it. Was caught off guard with too little time to do research. Hope that I made the right decision.

We were thinking projector, but just too much trouble and more research since I haven't really looked into it. And with limited space, we decided to go the tv route.

Thanks again!

Update: I thought I was done, but still require some help. The Onkyo hts5600 receiver has the screw type speaker terminal. So the installation says that I can basically connect the bare wires to it, but when I googled, I also found out that you can use a banana plug on these units instead and it'll be cleaner. My question now is should I use banana plugs and if so, is there a specific type I should be using. As I mentioned, I got the 16AWG wires. And reading the Onkyo manual, it doesn't mention anything about using banana plugs for the screw type terminal. Please help!
Oct 12, 2005
733 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Another question. I just saw that the system comes with speaker wires, but it doesn't look like the insulated type that I bought. Also, gauge seems different. The insulated in wall cable I bought is 16AWG, while the ones that comes in the box is all 24AWG from what I can see, but not insulated. Can I use the uninsulated OEM cables for in wall installation?
Jun 19, 2006
334 posts
136 upvotes
deals newbie wrote: Another question. I just saw that the system comes with speaker wires, but it doesn't look like the insulated type that I bought. Also, gauge seems different. The insulated in wall cable I bought is 16AWG, while the ones that comes in the box is all 24AWG from what I can see, but not insulated. Can I use the uninsulated OEM cables for in wall installation?
No! throw away the 24. If you're set on using it, only use it to splice from the 16 in wall to run to the speakers. Lower guage = thicker and better
Oct 12, 2005
733 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

Didn't everyone just suggest using 14 AWG speaker wire instead of the speaker floss that came with the home theater system?
http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video- ... able-gauge

Did you also run tv cable into the room? What about CAT 5E or 6 network cable?
I have both. Not sure 5e or 6. But I have the 16awg lines in already, so I'll stick with it. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
deals newbie wrote: I have both. Not sure 5e or 6. But I have the 16awg lines in already, so I'll stick with it. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
You'll be OK with 16AWG. Just keep the lines are short as possible.
However, I am disappointed in you... son.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
The smaller gauge is not as a big deal for rear speakers.
Network cables and RG6 w pulls be brilliant. A long HDMI for potential projector.
Last but not least, extra speakers wires to patio, kitchen etc for multizone.
This is the coolest part about these newer receivers wit multiroom function.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)