Computers & Electronics

So Windows 8 Is Going To Nickel & Dime Me For Basic XP Goodies?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2014 12:15 pm
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto

So Windows 8 Is Going To Nickel & Dime Me For Basic XP Goodies?

I'm new to Windows 8 just changing over from XP, my last operating system. I'm shocked that I cannot even make a letter with my brand new desktop PC because the bloody thing lacks WORD? Seriously? Even Windows 3.1 had Word and this massive operating system wants me to purchase separately something that I used to have on Windows 3.1 for free? :facepalm:

Or is it that I cannot find it and it's buried somewhere?
74 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
You mean Wordpad? No version of Windows came with Word.

And yes, Win 8 has Wordpad.

I'd be shocked if you could 'make a letter', regardless.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
That's weird I never had a desktop that did not had Wordpad on it, even on a 486 PC I had a program to type letters and resumes. No way I'm going to pay more than $19.99 for Wordpad or a similar program.
Jan 1, 2008
576 posts
230 upvotes
Brossard
You could also download a program like LibreOfice (Cnet review plus download link):
http://download.cnet.com/LibreOffice/30 ... torsreview

Or OpenOffice (also free):

http://www.openoffice.org/download/

Kingsoft Office (kind of free):
http://www.kingsoftstore.com/

OP, did you have a name brand computer? The company that assembled your computer probably bundled MS Office or MS Suite or something in there.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
JAC wrote: You mean Wordpad? No version of Windows came with Word.

Yeah. Or perhaps he meant Notepad?

PC manufacturers sometimes pre-installed a basic copy of Works, or something equivalent, but Word, Excel, etc, were pricy products usually sold separately.

The program I most resent being removed from Win 8 is Windows Media Center, needed for watching TV using TV tuner cards and sticks. MS will let you buy it - at additional cost. If I ever end up being stuck with just Win 8, I'll see if the bundled tuner SW works instead. I certainly won't be paying MS extra for what previously was included, and what already exists on my older gear.
Somebody removed my sig for no reason, without even telling me.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
3209 posts
1742 upvotes
Markham
Gammatron wrote: I'm new to Windows 8 just changing over from XP, my last operating system. I'm shocked that I cannot even make a letter with my brand new desktop PC because the bloody thing lacks WORD? Seriously? Even Windows 3.1 had Word and this massive operating system wants me to purchase separately something that I used to have on Windows 3.1 for free? :facepalm:

Or is it that I cannot find it and it's buried somewhere?
Wordpad is what they have now for a basic word processor. To make the switch easier, I would highly suggest installing a start menu app like Classic Shell. It brings back a Win 7 style start menu within Win 8.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
Gammatron wrote: That's weird I never had a desktop that did not had Wordpad on it, even on a 486 PC I had a program to type letters and resumes. No way I'm going to pay more than $19.99 for Wordpad or a similar program.
I have no idea what you're talking about...

Notepad AND Wordpad (not to be confused with "Microsoft Word") has ALWAYS been included Windows....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WordPad
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7675 posts
10978 upvotes
Scarbs
Libre Office, as previously mentioned, is an excellent choice.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
I find it hard to believe that you're old enough to have used Windows 3.1!
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
JAC wrote: You mean Wordpad? No version of Windows came with Word.

Where? Cant find it anywhere, there's no start button and the only imitation start button there is takes me to control panel.

DjHerbal: My desktop is an HP from Future Shop.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5314 posts
1251 upvotes
Go to Metro screen ("tiles" screen) and start typing "word...", program appears first in search list panel on the right.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Yeah.. that's the issue with the Metro desktop. You can't see what's installed. You can go down to the applications view, and enable all applications to be visible. I just installed classic start menu.

Start by upgrading to 8.1 (free). It fixes a lot of the crap.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
cwb27 wrote: I have no idea what you're talking about...

Notepad AND Wordpad (not to be confused with "Microsoft Word") has ALWAYS been included Windows....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WordPad
I don't think Wordpad was in the earlier versions. It came along with Win 98 or perhaps Win 95, iirc.

Edit: Just checked the link. Win 95. (Never actually had that version).
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
Rehan wrote: I find it hard to believe that you're old enough to have used Windows 3.1!
Win 3.1 was still my OS in early 2000. Worked great on a 66MHz 486 with 8MB. :) Much faster (in my memory at least) than my 2008 or so 3.5GHz Celeron D with Vista and 1GB RAM. Vista was a real memory hog. Some manufacturers actually sold systems with an inadequate 512MB. That was barely enough for the OS alone.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
Are people that lazy to even use Google? Don't know how to use a new operating system Google it and Youtube it.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
Tornado F2 wrote: I don't think Wordpad was in the earlier versions. It came along with Win 98 or perhaps Win 95, iirc.

Edit: Just checked the link. Win 95. (Never actually had that version).
Good old Windows 95... "A 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5314 posts
1251 upvotes
I used Windows 2.1, I'm an old geezer by this board's standards. ;)
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
Rehan wrote: Good old Windows 95... "A 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."
Nice. I actually skipped Win 95 completely as I preferred the Win 3.1 desktop-covered-with-directly-accessible-folders approach over Win 95 (and later)'s less efficient go-bottom-left-scroll up-scroll across-scroll down-scroll some more approach. I still use folders on my desktop with app shortcuts inside them for that more efficient Win 3.x-like access to certain related programs and data. It just works. Better. As MS hype marketers might say.