None
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2009
1833 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa

Pros, Cons, and Considerations of HDMI PC to TV

Hey all,

I had Videotron for my internet and cable tv needs. I have recently moved and kept only the internet.

Im considering getting Netflix (with a US VPN) and perhaps a Roku box (at some point in the future). However, as a sports fan, this is somewhat limiting. There are tons of online feeds for different sporting events. Sure, the quality wont be perfect but its better than nothing.

So what Id like to do is use my PC for the online feeds and run a hdmi (card is an EVGA 560TI - mini-hdmi) to the tv (that has three hdmi ports).

What are the pros, cons and considerations that one needs to be aware of to do this?
Please keep sigs clean
24 replies
Feb 5, 2008
129 posts
7 upvotes
There are none.
You'll be fine doing what you said.

For NHL I use a script to watch games in 1080p(or 720p not sure).
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2008
1154 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
There will be delays displaying information from your computer to the TV via HDMI, it is not recommended for gaming, however streaming should be more than fine.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
Only drawbacks may be space, power consumption and noise, unless you go with something like an Intel NUC.
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Feb 5, 2008
129 posts
7 upvotes
mxzas wrote: There will be delays displaying information from your computer to the TV via HDMI, it is not recommended for gaming, however streaming should be more than fine.
The only reason there is a deal is because of the refresh rate. I don't think he wants to game (as he didn't state it), so he will be fine.
Feb 5, 2008
129 posts
7 upvotes
Vacillator wrote: Only drawbacks may be space, power consumption and noise, unless you go with something like an Intel NUC.
That's not true. You can find good HTC cases for under $80 that will mask the sound.
Also if you aren't gaming you can get a fanless CPU heat sink and a fanless gpu.

If not mistaken I have a $80 Nvidia hdmi card that's fanless and it works fine and Temps are really low.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Earache wrote: That's not true. You can find good HTC cases for under $80 that will mask the sound.
Also if you aren't gaming you can get a fanless CPU heat sink and a fanless gpu.

If not mistaken I have a $80 Nvidia hdmi card that's fanless and it works fine and Temps are really low.
Or you can just place the case in a different room and make a hole for the HDMI cable.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
Earache wrote: That's not true. You can find good HTC cases for under $80 that will mask the sound.

yea you can make a silent and probably low watt system but the Op didn't say he was building one but was going to use his own which to me means the one he already has with whatever parts it has.

Personally i find it a pain using my comp to watch TV on the big screen. I have to set it up which isn't as simple as turning on my ps3 and then using a mouse while laying down on the couch isn't that easy : ) One thing though i find the image quality far better with my comp than with the p3 lately.

Just wish Canada had same content!
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Feb 5, 2008
129 posts
7 upvotes
Keas wrote: yea you can make a silent and probably low watt system but the Op didn't say he was building one but was going to use his own which to me means the one he already has with whatever parts it has.

Personally i find it a pain using my comp to watch TV on the big screen. I have to set it up which isn't as simple as turning on my ps3 and then using a mouse while laying down on the couch isn't that easy : ) One thing though i find the image quality far better with my comp than with the p3 lately.

Yup using an air mouse, a mobile app (with xbmc), is such a pain, especially considering the PS3 has Cinivia checks.

I had the PS3 setup and it doesn't touch my HTC setup which cost me a whopping $190.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes

Yup ... In fact, the $35-40 passive nVidia GT 610 is perfect for HTPC.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
Keas wrote: yea you can make a silent and probably low watt system but the Op didn't say he was building one but was going to use his own which to me means the one he already has with whatever parts it has.

For HTPC, it's nicer to use a cordless keyboard/touchpad ... http://products.ncix.com/detail/logitec ... 0-1359.htm
Feb 5, 2008
129 posts
7 upvotes
willy wrote: Yup ... In fact, the $35-40 passive nVidia GT 610 is perfect for HTPC.
Actually that's the one I have. I paid $50 for it.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2009
1833 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
Woot. Awesome guys.

Yeah the PC / Office is next to the living room so it'll be the cable going through the wall. Id say its about 20ft or so though. Which brings about a problem. Just went to monoprice and the longest mini-hdmi to hdmi cable is 15ft. Oops. Does this work

Video card (w/mini-hdmi) -> mini hdmi to hdmi connector -> 20ft hdmi to hdmi cable -> tv

The addition of an extra connection point doesnt cause any issues?

EDIT: And no, it wont be for gaming. Merely for watching streaming sports (particularly hockey)
Please keep sigs clean
Feb 5, 2008
129 posts
7 upvotes
The video card doesn't have a regular hdmi output?

Try Tigerdirect. I remember seeing a 30' hdmi cable. I would go longer as you can always hide the extra wire in the wall if need be.

Also PM me you email Addy and I'll send you the hockey script.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
chadjustine wrote: Woot. Awesome guys.

Yeah the PC / Office is next to the living room so it'll be the cable going through the wall. Id say its about 20ft or so though. Which brings about a problem. Just went to monoprice and the longest mini-hdmi to hdmi cable is 15ft. Oops. Does this work

Video card (w/mini-hdmi) -> mini hdmi to hdmi connector -> 20ft hdmi to hdmi cable -> tv

EDIT: And no, it wont be for gaming. Merely for watching streaming sports (particularly hockey)
Why wait to get a Roku? The new Streaming stick is only $60 and it is wireless so no HDMI cable issues. Add Plex (free) to that desktop computer and you can stream media from it as well as pretty much anything you can get via the internet. If you are already going to get a service like unblock-us.com you can add HuluPlus for $8 a month and have tons of TV content.

Or get a Chromecast stick instead of HDMI cables (I'm a big Roku fan but it doesn't have the same casting capabilities yet)
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes

You are just going to waste a tons of money that's going to add up with all those cabling when you can just get something like this:
android-tv-stick-convert-normal-tv-smar ... a-1180129/
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes

Most (if not all) mainstream video cards has regular HDMI port(s).

E.g. http://products.ncix.com/detail/asus-ge ... -72416.htm

[IMG]http://img.ncix.com/images/72416_2.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2009
1833 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
JWL wrote: Why wait to get a Roku? The new Streaming stick is only $60 and it is wireless so no HDMI cable issues. Add Plex (free) to that desktop computer and you can stream media from it as well as pretty much anything you can get via the internet. If you are already going to get a service like unblock-us.com you can add HuluPlus for $8 a month and have tons of TV content.

Or get a Chromecast stick instead of HDMI cables (I'm a big Roku fan but it doesn't have the same casting capabilities yet)
Why not a Roku now? Mostly because I dont know enough about them to know how to use them. I read the thread on them and was mostly lost. So I'll need more time to read and read, then pick one up when Im not stumbling over every word.
Please keep sigs clean
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
chadjustine wrote: Yeah the PC / Office is next to the living room so it'll be the cable going through the wall. Id say its about 20ft or so though. Which brings about a problem. Just went to monoprice and the longest mini-hdmi to hdmi cable is 15ft. Oops. Does this work

This + that = connected for 15$ or so.

Maybe buy one of these right away so that if you're missing a few more feet, you can run out to the Dollorama and buy another HDMI cable to add with the coupler.
chadjustine wrote: The addition of an extra connection point doesnt cause any issues?
It shouldn't, just don't jiggle with it!

JWL wrote: Why wait to get a Roku? The new Streaming stick is only $60 and it is wireless so no HDMI cable issues.
If he can hook up a PC to the TV with just one HDMI cable + adapter (as I linked above), it will be superior to any Android stick.
With a PC, you can pretty much watch anything. You just need a wireless HTPC keyboard and you are SET.
There are streams that don't play nice on an Android because of Flash.
XBMC on a PC is sooooo much better.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
chadjustine wrote: Why not a Roku now? Mostly because I dont know enough about them to know how to use them. I read the thread on them and was mostly lost. So I'll need more time to read and read, then pick one up when Im not stumbling over every word.
I'd say the "trickiest" part of the Roku is setting the DNS settings of your router to the unblock-us (or other service) settings. For certain routers you can just follow unblock-us' instructions and it is pretty easy. If not you get into finding a ww-drt router and flashing it and it definitely becomes more onerous. But I haven't gotten into streaming sports from Plex and that definitely takes some work to figure out and do.

If your main goal is to get content from your laptop to your TV, Chromecast might be a good solution.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)