Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga

Increasing range of wifi so it will reach the wireless bridge

I had a functiona; wireless bridge setup, but for some reason its signal has become very weak. (almost unusable, freq drops can't even log into it anymore)

so before I buy an ASUS wireless router or Netgear extender to act as an extender, I wanted to know if I would get any advantages from using a 5.0 GHz band or AC band extender. I only want to improve the 2.4Ghz performance, but I was hoping that if I got a dual band model I could dedicate one band to receiving and another to sending.

I asking, because usually speeds suffer quite a bit when you ask a router to function as an extender.

On a side note, I currently have a PC with wireless AC adapter. If I ever to add a regular 2.4Ghz card or dual card card (since they all cost the same) to it, would I be able to send the signal with that instead (w/ Windows)? Or would the existing card interfere with with the new one? The antennas will be ~30cm away from each other.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
3 replies
Apr 26, 2010
422 posts
302 upvotes
Vancouver
if you have a pc with wireless cards, i would suggest you take out all the wireless cards and invest in powerline. way more stable than wireless and wireless extenders
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6564 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
Have you checked the available channels and make sure you're not on something crowded? Also make sure antennas are screwed in tight and vertical?

If your area is filled with 2.4s, then 5.0 would help. Though range on 5.0 is actually less than 2.4.
This space for rent
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
well the PCs are using a Dlink 601 as a wireless bridge. So my AC66U sends out the main signal and the Dlink picks it up and sends it to my PCs thru it's LAN ports.

I do have a HTPC in the middle of the D-Link Router and AC wireless card.

So with my current setup, I was wondering whether I should buy a router to act as an extender OR buy a PCIe card and plug into the PC to repeat the signal, OR use the existing PCIe wireless card to repeat the signal on the 2.4Ghz band (not sure how to do this one)
aznviper wrote: if you have a pc with wireless cards, i would suggest you take out all the wireless cards and invest in powerline. way more stable than wireless and wireless extenders
I'm done with Powerlines. They aren't worth the investment. I could buy 2-3 wireless routers and cover the same distance as a pair of PowerLines.

Plus I need to use a power bar in this location, so it wouldn't work.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)