Apple Canada iPhone Recycling / Trade-in Program - DETAILS

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2014 10:57 pm
Mar 20, 2011
734 posts
2977 upvotes

Apple Canada iPhone Recycling / Trade-in Program - DETAILS

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd share my own experience with the Apple iPhone recycling / trade-in program as there seems to be very vague and limited information online (at least during the time when I decided to do it)

As you may know, in March 2014, Apple decided to extend their iPhone trade-in program to Canada, whereas it was only available in USA before.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/apple ... -1.2567210

As the program name suggests, they give you in-store credit for trading in your old iPhones; anywhere up to $275 CAD.

HOWEVER, HERE ARE THE FEW DETAILS THEY DON'T MENTION UNTIL YOU BRING YOUR PHONE TO THE APPLE STORE:
1) the store credit can ONLY be used towards purchase of ANOTHER IPHONE. So no, you CANNOT use it to buy ANYTHING ELSE at the Apple store.
2) the store credit they give you needs to be USED IMMEDIATELY at the point you trade-in your old iPhone; meaning you DO NOT get some sort of gift card with a store credit on it for future use. No, you HAVE TO BUY THE NEW IPHONE RIGHT AWAY SHOULD YOU DECIDE TO TRADE-IN YOUR OLD IPHONE.
3) the iPhone that you buy with them MUST IMMEDIATELY BE OPENED AND ACTIVATED WITH A CARRIER (ya... I know, it's stupid). So no, if you wanted to buy one for a gift... tough luck. Unless the person you're gifting is with you and can allow you to activate their number on the new iPhone immediately.

Basically, as explained by the Apple employee, the way it works is Apple contracted a 3rd party company who's agreed to take all these used iPhones; that company sets a guideline in the form of an App that Apple employees follow in determining how much they can give you for your iPhone (based on model and condition of the phone)

When I brought in my iPhone 4 (32GB) Black (no scratch or dents. but has an internal antenna problem where calls drop fairly frequently), the store employee basically told me that the check-list they have on things to check for are as follows:
- there is no physical damage other than reasonable wear and tear (mines was mint condition)
- that its NOT jailbroken
- and that the screen basically turns on and the touchscreen is functional

Didn't ask, nor give me the chance to discuss my antenna problem. And told me based on my model of the iPhone 4, and the condition it was in (highest rating): I would get $75.

So as you may expect, I really can't see anyone realistically ever getting the full $275 since you'll probably have to trade in a iPhone 5S 64GB for that... and since you can't use the credit to buy anything else but an iPhone... the highest model you can buy with the credit is the exact same phone you just traded in (plus the extra few hundred $$ Apple would be happy to charge you for the NEW iPhone of course)

Furthermore the whole mandatory activation thing is just weird. Even the Apple store employee said so themselves but they have to just "follow the rules". They did mention that their system allows them to login and check, based on your phone number, with any of the major carriers to see if you are due for a phone upgrade yet. If you are, then they can use that towards your new iPhone as well.

For example, lets say you're with Rogers, you're due for a phone upgrade with them and can get a new iPhone 5S 16gb for $300 if you agree to extend your contract another 2 years... the price would be $300 minus whatever you got in credit for your traded-in iPhone. But they have to activate it right away and Apple basically helps you renew your contract with your carrier. As much as that sucks, cause they're forcing you to still buy the phone right away, it sort of makes sense.

WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND, is why in my case, I told them explicitly that I DO NOT WANT TO TOUCH MY CONTRACT, and that I am paying off the new iPhone straight out with cash (minus my $75 credit of course) that they still said they have to open and activate the phone before they let me leave the store. They said it's somehow the terms of the agreement they've done with all the major carriers; that this program HAS to be done in the form of an upgrade or something, even if you decide to pay for it yourself and not renew/extend your contract with your carrier.

I still ended up going through with it anyway because it's my father's iPhone and he really wanted the new 5S. But personally if you ask me... just stick it on RFD Forums or Kijiji and you'll likely get more for it in cash, which you can use to buy 1000 timbits for all anyone cares. Unless, of course, there's something wrong with your phone, then I guess anything is better than nothing... even if its from Apple.

Hope this helps.
6 replies
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
I had a similiar problem at a car dealership. They were advertising a car trade in promotion. Up to $60,000 for your trade in. Brought my MINT 1986 Ford Pinto and they just wanted to give me $50. I guess you need to bring a Ferrari to get the $60K.

I can't believe how ripoff this dealership was.
1) They wouldn't let me exchange my pinto for $50 worth of car parts. I had to buy another car. What a ripoff! The least they could do is give my car free parking on their lot without me taking a new one back.
2) That's not all. I told them I planned on buying a car in the next 10 years. Told them I wanted $50 credit for when I do want to buy in 2024. Can you believe the nerves when they refused?
3) When my new car was going to be ready, I had to drive it off the lot right away. I couldn't even leave it there doing nothing for 10 weeks. If I wanted to give my car to a friend, believe it or not he HAD to be there with me to register the ownership. What a crock.

Sorry no it does not help. You need a dictionary to look up trade-in. This is a "trade-in" program not a "drop off your junk we'll give you sweet computer stuff later when you want it" program.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2276 posts
809 upvotes
Etobicoke
Cas77 wrote: I had a similiar problem at a car dealership. They were advertising a car trade in promotion. Up to $60,000 for your trade in. Brought my MINT 1986 Ford Pinto and they just wanted to give me $50. I guess you need to bring a Ferrari to get the $60K.

1) They wouldn't let me exchange my pinto for $50 worth of car parts. I had to buy another car. What a ripoff! The least they could do is give my car free parking on their lot without me taking a new one back.
2) That's not all. I told them I planned on buying a car in the next 10 years. Told them I wanted $50 credit for when I do want to buy in 2024. Can you believe the nerves when they refused?
3) When my new car was going to be ready, I had to drive it off the lot right away. I couldn't even leave it there doing nothing for 10 weeks. If I wanted to give my car to a friend, believe it or not he HAD to be there with me to register the ownership. What a crock.

Sorry no it does not help. You need a dictionary to look up trade-in. This is a "trade-in" program not a "drop off your junk we'll give you sweet computer stuff later when you want it" program.
Wow this is for sure a rip off. You should sell privately. An 1986 Pinto is extremely rare since the production for the Pintos ended in 1980.
Mar 20, 2011
734 posts
2977 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: I had a similiar problem at a car dealership. They were advertising a car trade in promotion. Up to $60,000 for your trade in. Brought my MINT 1986 Ford Pinto and they just wanted to give me $50. I guess you need to bring a Ferrari to get the $60K.

LOL... except you may want to spend less time coming up with exaggerated stories to illustrate a moot point and instead spend 2 seconds on Google to find out what other big box stores are all willing to do with their "Trade-ins" programs.

The OP was created on my spare time to help those, unlike yourself, who may have old iPhones, and heard of the new program on the news and may want to evaluate whether they want to do the trade-in or sell their, as you put it, "junk" second handed through other means (which, btw, RFD has an entire section of their forum dedicated to)

So if you don't like it so be it. But should probably keep your smart comments to yourself and do more research before suggesting others to read a dictionary.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
4402 posts
4465 upvotes
you could probably sell your iphone for more than 75$ on kijiji.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
240 upvotes
Markham
durrsak wrote: Wow this is for sure a rip off. You should sell privately. An 1986 Pinto is extremely rare since the production for the Pintos ended in 1980.
this post made me lol
Be Happy
Mar 20, 2011
734 posts
2977 upvotes
mathewvc wrote: you could probably sell your iphone for more than 75$ on kijiji.
exactly. I recently sold another iPhone 4, basically exact same condition except without any antenna problems for $230. App developers love to use them as a cheap testing device.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)