Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2008
1120 posts
199 upvotes
Ottawa

Most difficult credit cards to qualify for

I've been approved for the scotia momentum infinite and the mbna world elite reward card

However capital one immediately turned down my application for the aspire (I applied for it before the mbna one). Was also denied for chase Amazon card twice in the last 3 months. When I called chase they (credit analyst)said you need to have a minimum of 2 credit cards at the time of the application, but refused to discuss the reason why I was turned down
57 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Why do you need so much?
Do you know how many hits your credit score has taken now?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3039 posts
1529 upvotes
Markham
Sounds like a good time to pull a credit report
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2008
1120 posts
199 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't need all of them... I just wanted a 2 percent cashback card and the scotia for groceries, so aspire was my first choice. I only applied for the mbna rewards one when I wasn't approved
Any hit to my score because of these applications will be short term anyways
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
From my understanding, two rejects within a 6 month period is considered a "hard" hit and may lower your FICO score.
Nov 25, 2011
425 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Lots of credit searches will also lower your score. It sounds like you'd made at least 5 in the past few months which is way way way too many
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2008
1120 posts
199 upvotes
Ottawa
I never heard that... I thought it's just the credit check that affects your score regardless of the approval
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2008
1120 posts
199 upvotes
Ottawa
Well I have no plans to apply for anything else... I am just surprised I was approved for the momentum and the world rewards elite but denied for others since I thought they were equally difficult to get
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
479 upvotes
MONTR
i got my chase amazon visa immediately after buying something from amazon.ca. lol!
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3747 posts
909 upvotes
cell21 wrote: I've been approved for the scotia momentum infinite and the mbna world elite reward card

However capital one immediately turned down my application for the aspire (I applied for it before the mbna one). Was also denied for chase Amazon card twice in the last 3 months. When I called chase they (credit analyst)said you need to have a minimum of 2 credit cards at the time of the application, but refused to discuss the reason why I was turned down
when I applied(think maybe like 8 months now) for the amazon.ca card I only had 1 credit card at the time and I think I got instant approval, sounds like a weird requirement.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2008
1120 posts
199 upvotes
Ottawa
I keep getting these offers from Marriott to apply for the chase visa... don't they know I have already been turned down
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
cell21 wrote: I keep getting these offers from Marriott to apply for the chase visa... don't they know I have already been turned down
These so called "pre-approved" invitations will still require a credit check and they won't know your history until then.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2008
1120 posts
199 upvotes
Ottawa
The odd thing is I applied for the Amazon card before all the others and was turned down, so it wasn't me applying for multiple cards that was the issue
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10596 posts
4841 upvotes
Burnaby
Chase doesn't like people seeking credit, neither does Capital One. Having received new cards recently, I doubt Chase or C1 would accept me as I am... so will probably hold onto my existing card for a while
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
cell21 wrote: The odd thing is I applied for the Amazon card before all the others and was turned down, so it wasn't me applying for multiple cards that was the issue
Amazon seems to be on the cusp of quasi-premium, (or they may like to think so) as from people I've spoken with have observed they prefer deep bureau profiles.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2008
1120 posts
199 upvotes
Ottawa
I have had a capital one card for the last 3 years until I paid it off, and all they sent me in the mail was an offer for a credit card with a worse interest rate than what I had with them. When I called to close the account they made no attempt to make me stay... no offer of anything, so it doesn't seem like they care
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: From my understanding, two rejects within a 6 month period is considered a "hard" hit and may lower your FICO score.
Oh the humanity! Not a hit to the FICO score! Noooooooo. :eek:
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Conquistador wrote: Oh the humanity! Not a hit to the FICO score! Noooooooo. :eek:
Considering OP wants additional cards, a lower FICO score won't help his cause much. ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2008
1120 posts
199 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't think I want more cards at this point... I went from 1 capital one 14.99 percent interest rate card with a 7.5k limit to 3 : mbna trueline and mbna world rewards elite with a combined 15k limit and the scotia momentum infinite visa with a 5k limit
Feb 8, 2003
684 posts
184 upvotes
IMO American Express. I got turned down for a Costco Amex with 65k salary and 742 credit score