• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2014 7:25 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 14, 2003
21 posts
3 upvotes

Scotia Momentum® VISA Infinite* card adds quite a bit insurance benifits

I doubt if Scotia Momentum® VISA Infinite* card is the best cash back + travel card right now:

1. it has the famous 2% + 4% cash back you guys already known.
2. it adds Emergency Medical Cover + Trip interruption + Flight Delay/Cancel + Delayed or lost baggage + Common carrier Travel accident insurance + Rental car collision/damage + Purchase security and extended warranty, all in effective after July 1st, 2014.
3. the $99 annually fee is waived for the first year.

For long time I had this card and was happy with the cash back but never considered it's a Travel Card because of the lack of travel insurance features. Now, it's a more attractive cash back + travel card to me comparing some other travel points cards as I always prefer hassle free cash back than redeem points. Also the $99 dollar fee is less than most of others who provide similar travel insurance features.

What do you guys think?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5485 posts
2762 upvotes

You should know better.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
Still missing trip cancellation
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3350 posts
2446 upvotes
Montreal
Whats the 2% PLUS 4%?
Isn't it one or the other?

I currently have the Scotia AMEX Gold, with these extra benefits, what are the differences? I see maybe no 4% on restaurants and no "discounted" priority pass (which is not much value to me). Also higher income requirement.
However the VISA infinite is straight cashback not lmited to travel.

Do I cover most differences or am I missing anything?
Dec 14, 2003
21 posts
3 upvotes
daviiiiiid wrote: Whats the 2% PLUS 4%?
Isn't it one or the other?

I currently have the Scotia AMEX Gold, with these extra benefits, what are the differences? I see maybe no 4% on restaurants and no "discounted" priority pass (which is not much value to me). Also higher income requirement.
However the VISA infinite is straight cashback not lmited to travel.

Do I cover most differences or am I missing anything?
A full 4% cash back on all eligible gas station and grocery store purchases
A full 2% cash back on eligible drug store purchases and recurring bill payments
A full 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases
Jan 27, 2007
922 posts
335 upvotes
Calgary
Sorry but why would this be in HOT DEALS? there is a finance section.....
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
3111 posts
3201 upvotes
Sopranos wrote: Sorry but why would this be in HOT DEALS? there is a finance section.....
Same reason why people post warm deals or deals they are unsure of. 90% of threads in this section can be posted elsewhere or not posted at all.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3350 posts
2446 upvotes
Montreal
flying2u wrote: A full 4% cash back on all eligible gas station and grocery store purchases
A full 2% cash back on eligible drug store purchases and recurring bill payments
A full 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases
Yeah but you wrote "+" as if it was a total of 6%. Just wanted some clarification
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2008
1263 posts
267 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
flying2u wrote:
2. it adds Emergency Medical Cover + Trip interruption + Flight Delay/Cancel + Delayed or lost baggage + Common carrier Travel accident insurance + Rental car collision/damage + Purchase security and extended warranty, all in effective after July 1st, 2014.

What do you guys think?
Not that it's a deal breaker, but for people who have the Visa Gold Passport, it may make sense to wait if you have any travel plans setup between now and then.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
flying2u wrote: Is Trip interruption the same thing?
Not as far as I understand.. trip interruption covers you when you are on the trip..that's fine. but what if something happened before the trip that doesn't allow you to go.. that's where trip cancellation comes in.

It's the reason I got the TD infinite visa.. it has trip cancellation and trip interruption and medical and all that jazz.
May 23, 2013
2 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
Thanks OP! We just have the standard Momentum. This card has double the cash back so we'd easily make back the $99 with that alone.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2008
1263 posts
267 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
Wiseman wrote: Still missing trip cancellation
Just more details...

Trip Interruption

The Scotia Momentum VISA Infinite card can protect your travel investment with trip interruption insurance at no extra cost. You, your spouse, and your dependent children travelling with either parent, and one travelling companion travelling with you or your spouse are insured for up to $2,000 per insured person (maximum $10,000 per trip) for Trip Interruption. You must charge at least 75% of trip expenses to your Scotia Momentum VISA Infinite card.

If you require Trip Cancellation insurance or additional Trip Interruption insurance if the value of your trip exceeds these amounts, call 1 888 677-7444. Once your application for this insurance has been approved, you will receive an insurance policy that describes the benefits, exclusions and limitations.
Nov 26, 2013
2 posts
Toronto, ON
That Scotia momentum visa infinite card sounds great with its travel insurance features. But just so you get to know you’re getting your money’s value, why don’t you check out http://vactionsecure.com/ and compare their insurance rates.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)