• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2014 1:42 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 27, 2010
412 posts
191 upvotes

Gas Station Point Cards - Worth it?

So I just picked up my Scotiabank Infinite Visa which gives 4% cashback on gas and groceries and now need to change to a gas station that qualifies (my local is a no-name and wouldn't count). This got me thinking if I should pick up a point card at Petro/Shell/Husky/etc. Are any of them worthwhile? This article from a few years ago really shows how difficult it is to earn as much as $20 on these cards, so I'm not really sure.

Any thoughts?
30 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
twistededge wrote: So I just picked up my Scotiabank Infinite Visa which gives 4% cashback on gas and groceries and now need to change to a gas station that qualifies (my local is a no-name and wouldn't count). This got me thinking if I should pick up a point card at Petro/Shell/Husky/etc. Are any of them worthwhile? This article from a few years ago really shows how difficult it is to earn as much as $20 on these cards, so I'm not really sure.

Any thoughts?
Even a 0.1% return is better than 0%, considering the incremental time cost is almost zero. I personally find the best redemption to be Esso with car washes.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
Having something is better than nothing. We get Petro Points, our son prefers getting Canadian Tire money for his fills.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2881 posts
5135 upvotes
I use Petropoints and redeem for 5 cents off per Litre cards.

If you're in a group lotto like me, then you can take advantage of buying Lotto at Petro where you get 4% cashback on the Infinite, and you'll get 5 cents off one litre of gas for every $1 spent on lotto tickets (with a Fuel Saving Plus card - free, ask the cashier and your Petro Points card). With the Fuel Saving card, you're looking at about ~8% discount (cashback + fuel saving) on gas.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
I have BMO shell, 3% and I use Air miles to double dip.

Without any AM promo, it's 1 air mile for the first $20 purchase (1 additional air mile for the next $30 purchase). If AM is running promo, then 10x the air mile point (if you are using V-power) for the first $30 fuel purchase. 95 air miles can be redeemed for $10 from Shell. Last year, I think I got about $150 or so in Shell redemption.

Like others have said, any rewards are better than nothing.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
Tilter wrote: I use Petropoints and redeem for 5 cents off per Litre cards.

If you're in a group lotto like me, then you can take advantage of buying Lotto at Petro where you get 4% cashback on the Infinite, and you'll get 5 cents off one litre of gas for every $1 spent on lotto tickets (with a Fuel Saving Plus card - free, ask the cashier and your Petro Points card). With the Fuel Saving card, you're looking at about ~8% discount (cashback + fuel saving) on gas.
Let's see. Spend money on something you are guaranteed to lose on so you can save on gas. Doesn't make sense to me.
Apr 22, 2005
444 posts
252 upvotes
Maple
Kasakato wrote: I personally find the best redemption to be Esso with car washes.
+1. I haven't paid for a car wash in a couple of years since I switched to Esso points.
Sep 20, 2013
447 posts
130 upvotes
GTA
I used to have a petro card on which I used to redeem points for 2.5 cents off a liter. Now I go to a no name gas station where gas is always cheaper by 2 cents. I don't get it why I should go to branded stations to collect points when I'm filling up my tank everytime at 2 cents a liter less.
Sorry....yesterday was the deadline for all complaints.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2014
1154 posts
388 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
eonibm wrote: Let's see. Spend money on something you are guaranteed to lose on so you can save on gas. Doesn't make sense to me.
Thats a stupid statement. I win lotteries all of the time!
Something with more than two legs, but less than three.
Mar 13, 2012
865 posts
145 upvotes
Planet Earth
Tilter wrote: If you're in a group lotto like me, then you can take advantage of buying Lotto at Petro where you get 4% cashback on the Infinite.
Don't you get a service fee for lottery ticket purchases on a credit card?
Aren't lottery ticket purchases treated as cash advances? If yes then I don't believe you get a cashback if they are.

MMV per card & issuer I suppose.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you even tried.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
wowdoge wrote: Thats a stupid statement. I win lotteries all of the time!
Can I join your pool? I mean, they are always winning in those Ontario Lottery commercials!
Oct 14, 2012
954 posts
728 upvotes
Woodstock
One person said what's the difference between Big Brand gasoline and no-name that is cheaper.
It's okay if the non Big Brand gasoline has proper additive in it. (e.g. Pioneer, Cdn Tire)
If it's truly noname, you're not getting any additive, which is why it's cheaper. Additives are almost all made by one big US company and cost 1-3 C per litre.
Additives make quite a difference to engine performance and life. They help seals last longer, remove engine deposits before they build up and clog things etc etc. That's why the Big Brands include them, even though they do not profit from including them because they do not manufacture them.

So check with the place where you are buying your gas. What is in it? They should be able to tell you the additive and how much is in the reg/mid/super blend. If they can't tell you, there likely isn't anything in it and you're risking your car for 2 cents per litre.

(OTOH, most cars do NOT need midgrade or super. Check with your manufacturer and buy the cheapest grade that gives you good performance. (no pinging etc.))
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
Allen32 wrote: Don't you get a service fee for lottery ticket purchases on a credit card?
Aren't lottery ticket purchases treated as cash advances? If yes then I don't believe you get a cashback if they are.

Depends on the MCC. Since its a gas station without a dedicated terminal, its gas to them.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2881 posts
5135 upvotes
Allen32 wrote: Don't you get a service fee for lottery ticket purchases on a credit card?

Never been charged cash advance on lottery purchase before. Neither on VISA or Mastercard. Always been cash back. Pretty sure same with Amex when I have used it before.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2881 posts
5135 upvotes
eonibm wrote: Let's see. Spend money on something you are guaranteed to lose on so you can save on gas. Doesn't make sense to me.
You don't make any sense?!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
BetCrooks wrote: One person said what's the difference between Big Brand gasoline and no-name that is cheaper.
It's okay if the non Big Brand gasoline has proper additive in it. (e.g. Pioneer, Cdn Tire)
If it's truly noname, you're not getting any additive, which is why it's cheaper. Additives are almost all made by one big US company and cost 1-3 C per litre.
Additives make quite a difference to engine performance and life. They help seals last longer, remove engine deposits before they build up and clog things etc etc. That's why the Big Brands include them, even though they do not profit from including them because they do not manufacture them.
Source? My understanding is that the no-name gas stations have the same suppliers (hence the same fuel, "additives" included). Sure, they may not carry premium gasoline but if your car needs that, you shouldn't be filling it there anyways.

Are you sure it's not just a marketing gimmick? I always try to buy gas from no-name gas stations and have never had any engine issues in the last 17 years of driving (3 cars).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
Tilter wrote: You don't make any sense?!
Yes he does. Lottery is a fools tax.
Oct 14, 2012
954 posts
728 upvotes
Woodstock
Source is I used to work at the Distribution Terminals for a Big Name where the tanker trucks loaded for the stations. They had additive tanks and blenders for the Big 5, for Cdn Tire, and for Pioneer. The true nonames had no additive added. (There are very few true nonames--most stns people think are noname are actually owned and operated by the Big Names as a marketing ploy) Why would you need 3 cars in 17 years? Sounds like you either were upgrading them, in which case you don't know how you impacted the long-term life of the car; or you had mechanical difficulties which could have been related to the additive.

Personally, I would never buy gas with no additive. But I drive a car till it dies. My current car is a 1998 and still running smoothly. Never had an injector cleaned or any engine work needed.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
BetCrooks wrote: Source is I used to work at the Distribution Terminals for a Big Name where the tanker trucks loaded for the stations. They had additive tanks and blenders for the Big 5, for Cdn Tire, and for Pioneer. The true nonames had no additive added. (There are very few true nonames--most stns people think are noname are actually owned and operated by the Big Names as a marketing ploy) Why would you need 3 cars in 17 years? Sounds like you either were upgrading them, in which case you don't know how you impacted the long-term life of the car; or you had mechanical difficulties which could have been related to the additive.

Personally, I would never buy gas with no additive. But I drive a car till it dies. My current car is a 1998 and still running smoothly. Never had an injector cleaned or any engine work needed.
I see, 3 used cars in 17 years. Now we need to look into the source for a scientific study that proves that additives actually help avoid the problems you listed. I have never had an injector cleaned or any engine work needed either. My first used car was a 1989 Honda Accord that I bought in 1999 and drove it until 2005 with no-name gas. Does that count?
Oct 14, 2012
954 posts
728 upvotes
Woodstock
Sorry, I didn't mean to try to change your mind. I just know that it used to bother Marketing that we had a 1-3 cent per litre disadvantage in pricing over the no names. R&D always said that the additives did work and that we had to use them. YMMV.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)