Shopping Discussion

MAC Cosmetics (at the Bay) return policy?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2014 9:32 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 2, 2008
155 posts
11 upvotes

MAC Cosmetics (at the Bay) return policy?

Hey RFDers,

Does anyone know MAC's return policy for used product - purchased from the Bay? I just bought a Studio Tech foundation for the first time and I am scared to use it in case I look too pink (relative to my current makeup).

Thanks!
9 replies
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
According to my resident makeup guru (daughter) she said MAC foundations tend to cause breakouts and run "orange" in tone. She suggested buying from Sephora where there is a no hassle return policy. Look online for reviews about certain brands you are interested in and also look at swatches posted online which will show if it's warm or cool. I can't help answer your specific question but generally high end makeup companies have good return policies...doesn't hurt to call them and ask.
Mar 23, 2013
706 posts
130 upvotes
Kitchener
Probably best to call or go there rather then getting opinions on here
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
I suggest you ask at the Bay. And always try a product before buying it - for colour. I am very acidic and allergic to many products so I test everything. Never had to return makeup or skin care - I am that careful.
Nov 2, 2008
155 posts
11 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: According to my resident makeup guru (daughter) she said MAC foundations tend to cause breakouts and run "orange" in tone. She suggested buying from Sephora where there is a no hassle return policy. Look online for reviews about certain brands you are interested in and also look at swatches posted online which will show if it's warm or cool. I can't help answer your specific question but generally high end makeup companies have good return policies...doesn't hurt to call them and ask.
Thanks. I knew Sephora has a stellar return policy, I was hoping that MAC would match it. As I posted this past midnight I contacted the Bay through live chat and they said returns are not possible. I contacted the MAC counter directly and they said it is possible. I don't want to return, just exchange for something that works better for my complexion.
27kingston wrote: Probably best to call or go there rather then getting opinions on here
It was midnight so I couldn't really call the store. Just wanted to see if anyone else knew. Thanks for your insight.
Blanche123 wrote: I suggest you ask at the Bay. And always try a product before buying it - for colour. I am very acidic and allergic to many products so I test everything. Never had to return makeup or skin care - I am that careful.
I tried it on and it looked fine in the store. But when you go out into natural light it is completely different. It had a rose/pink undertone and I typically use a yellow undertone makeup. It blends well though and works well against the jaw line. I think i'll keep it. It may just mean getting used to using a different undertone.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
km190103 wrote: Thanks. I knew Sephora has a stellar return policy, I was hoping that MAC would match it. As I posted this past midnight I contacted the Bay through live chat and they said returns are not possible. I contacted the MAC counter directly and they said it is possible. I don't want to return, just exchange for something that works better for my complexion.

It was midnight so I couldn't really call the store. Just wanted to see if anyone else knew. Thanks for your insight.

I tried it on and it looked fine in the store. But when you go out into natural light it is completely different. It had a rose/pink undertone and I typically use a yellow undertone makeup. It blends well though and works well against the jaw line. I think i'll keep it. It may just mean getting used to using a different undertone.
I, too have a yellow undertone - but due to high levels of body acid everything changes on me - to hot pink or orange - and neither colour suits me (better to know this though). I hope you are sitting down - the only foundation that does not change on me is I10 in Cle de Peau. Actually I preferred the previous version - it was packaged in a jar called "Satin Cream". I have naturally very dry skin and need a foundation with oil. It was reformulated and packaged in a tube - with less product at a higher cost (not a surprise). But I have to use quite a bit of it to achieve "normal - not overly done" coverage. I did not plan on buying the new formulation, but after trying everything else - and I do need a cream type product, not a liquid, this was the only one that did not aggravate my rosacea and actually did not change colour on me (and I went through my 4 back-ups while searching). Other people who use I10 managed to find a match in Estee Lauder's ReNutriv. But not me. I10 comes in pretty much all of the various foundations offered by Cle de Peau - but of course I need the Satin. I can't use Laura Mercier but her foundations are for yellow-toned skins as you probably know - but they turn on me as well. I tried everything! The Beauty Advisors are appalled at what happens when I put on something. After trying the I10, I had it "approved" by one of Canada's top makeup artists who happened to be in Holt's that day - I used to buy from her 35 years ago.

Then there is my lipstick - I have been using it for 8 years and looking for a replacement since day 1. How hard should it be. Obviously pretty hard!

I expect your problem with The Bay is that MAC most likely rents space from The Bay (sort of a boutique) and might have to adhere to The Bay's policies (I am thinking of the store at Bloor/Yonge - where I was on Sat. buying said Cle foundation at Holt's).

You should ask your daughter about Cle de Peau foundations - but price wise make sure you are both sitting down.

By the way, I try the foundation in the store and then go outside. But it turns on me pretty quickly as in just about instantly. Maybe you could mix it with something to alter the colour a bit. Years ago I had to mix two foundations to get a colour that would work. I hope you find a way to use it, otherwise it will go into the "drawer". At least having only one of everything does help offset the cost. Then there is the issue of skin care. I can't use any acids/retinols/C (this includes lactic) and I have serious issues with botanicals and of course am allergic to antihistamine. Nearly every product that I use(d) has either been d/c or reformulated with actives - or botanicals. I hate being "special"! I do make sure I use a hydrator before a rich cream - and I need a standalone sunscreen. A cream with combined SPF is going to cause the rosacea to flare. And of course most sunscreens are drying - the one I used was d/c - and I can't use the new one. And of course getting old is a problem.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
^I was going to suggest mixing two together as well, good advice since then the bottle doesn't go to waste. I can understand no returns on a $10 tube of (opened) makeup at the grocery store, but if you are paying $40-50, you should be completely happy with the product...just my opinion.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3945 posts
1376 upvotes
Vancouver
I believe they should be able to exchange/return if you have the receipt and it's within 30 days (i think)...
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Mars2012 wrote: ^I was going to suggest mixing two together as well, good advice since then the bottle doesn't go to waste. I can understand no returns on a $10 tube of (opened) makeup at the grocery store, but if you are paying $40-50, you should be completely happy with the product...just my opinion.
$40 or $50 - I agree. I have to pay - $127.00 plus tax for my one and only foundation. I tried another one the other day - no go.
Dec 4, 2004
397 posts
76 upvotes
Coquitlam
they will take it back even if you use it.

I bought a pigment, used it a few times, and it made my eyes water like crazy, so i brought it back to the bay, told them the story and they refunded my money.