Locked: PMCtire.com Bait and switch

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2021 1:46 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 29, 2009
2 posts

PMCtire.com Bait and switch

Bought 4 tires from these guys for $ 500 dollars plus and after paying they emailed me the next day and tried to pull a bait and switch .

( The Dunlop Direzza DZ101 is out of stock . )

Here are the only tires in your size that are readily available:
http://tires.pmctire.com/ent/toyo-pux-4 ... 5-88v.tire
http://tires.pmctire.com/ent/marshal-ma ... 5-88v.tire )

This is what they sent me .

( Since you refused categorically to pay our minimum price to get an alternative tire choice, we will cancel the order without any other alternative possible. )

This my email to them !

( I am not very happy the way you do your shady business , your tactics of bait and switch the tires and try to up charge the customer is deplorable. I am going to post about my customer experience and tell everyone what to expect from your store . You listed a product on line and charge the customer credit card . Than email a up sale to me and and when Irespond negatively and wont pay more money you get rude to me . I believe your business practices are questionable and unethical .

Never again will you see my business.

Don't do business with these guys if you want someone talk to you demeaning .
10 replies
Mar 23, 2013
706 posts
130 upvotes
Kitchener
Despicable business practices. Thank you for posting OP
Jan 21, 2007
107 posts
9 upvotes
Sorry about your bad experience I was actually going to post a positive review. Ordered a set of tires w the free shipping promo. Got my tires in 2 days way sooner than expected and price was better than anything else I could find thanks to the shipping.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
Can bait and switch really be applied to an online retailer? They do not have any store to bait you into. It seems like in this case they just ran out of stock. Were you charged or was it an authorization? Do you have proof that they never had the tire in stock? What was your initial email to them when they advised that they did not have it in stock? It seems like there is at least 2 emails that you did not include. Why not post the full email's rather than your summaries?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Aug 12, 2007
2 posts
1 upvote
Barrie
I have been buying from these guys for years, by far they have the best prices and a wide range of products. Always helpful and customer service has always been top notch. They have earned my tire business for life. I see people selling get used tires for more then I get new ones from pmc keep up the good work PMC
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
danzz wrote: I have been buying from these guys for years, by far they have the best prices and a wide range of products. Always helpful and customer service has always been top notch. They have earned my tire business for life. I see people selling get used tires for more then I get new ones from pmc keep up the good work PMC
nice positive review from someone with 2 posts. LOL
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10528 upvotes
Ojam wrote: Can bait and switch really be applied to an online retailer? They do not have any store to bait you into. It seems like in this case they just ran out of stock. Were you charged or was it an authorization? Do you have proof that they never had the tire in stock? What was your initial email to them when they advised that they did not have it in stock? It seems like there is at least 2 emails that you did not include. Why not post the full email's rather than your summaries?
I think an online retailer can pull a bait and switch. Unless they indicate otherwise you, as a customer, would think that when your order has been accepted and your credit card has been charged they have agreed to sell you the item for that price. When they contact you later indicating that even though they have charged your CC, they do not have the items, it seems very much like a bait and switch - "Oh the tire you wanted is not in stock but may I suggest two other more expensive tires?".
Dec 7, 2021
5 posts
Well, the reality is that most often than not, online retailers are only an intermediate between customers and distributors. So, the reality is that stock fluctuation is a thing. I don't say there are no "bait and switch" scummy businesses out there but you should definitely not assume that a product availability is something solid as rock. There's no magic here, the store has to rely on live stock values as much as possible and sometimes it is not possible (technically or politically speaking). Amazon is super great on that front, but most e-commerce are not perfect, won't be and cannot be even if they are honest and customer oriented.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
DOGER5 wrote: Bought 4 tires from these guys for $ 500 dollars plus and after paying they emailed me the next day and tried to pull a bait and switch .

( The Dunlop Direzza DZ101 is out of stock . )

Here are the only tires in your size that are readily available:
http://tires.pmctire.com/ent/toyo-pux-4 ... 5-88v.tire
http://tires.pmctire.com/ent/marshal-ma ... 5-88v.tire )

This is what they sent me .

( Since you refused categorically to pay our minimum price to get an alternative tire choice, we will cancel the order without any other alternative possible. )

This my email to them !

( I am not very happy the way you do your shady business , your tactics of bait and switch the tires and try to up charge the customer is deplorable. I am going to post about my customer experience and tell everyone what to expect from your store . You listed a product on line and charge the customer credit card . Than email a up sale to me and and when Irespond negatively and wont pay more money you get rude to me . I believe your business practices are questionable and unethical .

Never again will you see my business.

Don't do business with these guys if you want someone talk to you demeaning .
It happens. Just cancel the order. Can't be mad that they gave you alternate options even though they were more expensive. They gave you an option, your not forced to take it.

In a way it has to be expected that people will buy the cheapest option for everything including items related to their own safety.

I myself get a huge discount on Pirelli so I'll be going that route in the spring.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1236 posts
1688 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
It is definitely not a bait n switch...

Online retail is honestly quite a pain and we dropship for many large vendors and have similar issues everyday.

Let say for 1 item, we have 5x left in stock.
In the morning, we receive order from Walmart that wants 3x and Costco wants 4x.
All we can do is ship out the item by ordered time and leave the extra 2x order as out of stock and let our vendors to list them as backordered and we let them know a replacement model if they do not wish to wait.
Nov 5, 2018
657 posts
769 upvotes
Folks, this post is from 2014 and OP hasn't made another post since. It looks like this thread has been resurrected twice now, once in 2019 and again now.

I think we can let is rest.