Personal Finance

Need help! Deductions under review by CRA!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2014 2:17 pm
Tags:
Jul 9, 2014
2 posts
Etobicoke, ON

Need help! Deductions under review by CRA!

I need help bad.

My claim for deductions for unused tuition fee is under review by CRA. This has happened before and all I needed to do was to send my children's college slips and everything was fine.

However, my son had lied about going to college last year and when I was doing my taxes, I used his "unused tuition" that he said he had printed. It was over the phone as I was away when doing my taxes(he did his own). I had only found out now when I'm home and read the mail that it was under review. I had asked for his T2 slips and he couldn't give me one.

What should I do now? I am now missing one supporting document but I have all the others. All the amounts are right except for his, which was supposed to be 0. He did his taxes right and didn't include anything about going to school on his tax returns.

Do I just send in the rest of my T2? Will my whole claim be disallowed? Or just partial and be adjusted to reflect the proper amount? What will happen now? What should I do?

Please help and reply ASAP
9 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2005
2204 posts
227 upvotes
Send in what you have (i.e., the other children's slips) that supports the claim. It should be adjusted to reflect the proper amount. You will be dinged for interest and possibly penalty as well on the lying son's amount you claimed.

I don't think that there is a rule that would deny the whole claim (I know there are for certain claims where if you and your (former) spouse can't agree which of you will claim and that if you both make the claim, then both of you are denied it so it forces you to cooperate, but I'm pretty sure it's not for tuition/education amounts).
Jul 8, 2005
615 posts
180 upvotes
Send the rest of the T2202s. In your cover letter, just state that the unsupported amount of $xxx was claimed in error. CRA will adjust the claim to the amount supported by the valid documents they receive.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1768 posts
260 upvotes
Vancouver
Send everything you have and be prepared to pay taxes. Mistakes do happen and this time you have to pay for it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41789 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Your son lied about going to college for a full year and managed to hide that from you!
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
1783 posts
779 upvotes
I see you have already posted this another thread and I already replied there. See my response below:

If I were you, I would call up CRA and speak with a supervisor and explain truthfully everything. Regardless of outcome, you will feel much better that you were honest and spoke truth. I am pretty sure you would be asked to just file a tax adjustment and pay the amount of taxes owed. I highly doubt you would get any penalty but there may be some interest involved. Overall, this shouldn't be such a big deal. S#$t happens!

BTW, I would be more pis#sed about my son lying to me than worry about CRA coming after me. And if my son lied on his tax return, I would just report him to CRA.
itsthenewstylemoose wrote: I need help bad.

My claim for deductions for unused tuition fee is under review by CRA. This has happened before and all I needed to do was to send my children's college slips and everything was fine.

However, my son had lied about going to college last year and when I was doing my taxes, I used his "unused tuition" that he said he had printed. It was over the phone as I was away when doing my taxes(he did his own). I had only found out now when I'm home and read the mail that it was under review. I had asked for his T2 slips and he couldn't give me one.

What should I do now? I am now missing one supporting document but I have all the others. All the amounts are right except for his, which was supposed to be 0. He did his taxes right and didn't include anything about going to school on his tax returns.

Do I just send in the rest of my T2? Will my whole claim be disallowed? Or just partial and be adjusted to reflect the proper amount? What will happen now? What should I do?

Please help and reply ASAP
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
WTH? The OP joined Jan 1st, 1970. Must be the oldest member on here and with only 2 posts! Someone give this lady a pension. She was a member before RFD was ever created. Y2K issues?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
Frankie3s wrote: WTH? The OP joined Jan 1st, 1970. Must be the oldest member on here and with only 2 posts! Someone give this lady a pension. She was a member before RFD was ever created. Y2K issues?
I think the join date wasn't recorded properly in the database or is coming up null for for some reason. January 1st, 1970 is the zero-point of Unix time.
May 24, 2013
793 posts
285 upvotes
OP, I think your biggest concern is your son lying to you for a full year.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
No biggie just send slips and it will be adjusted. They got thousands of files to deal with, they aren't going to waste time on yours beyond the tax you will pay on the amount that shouldn't have been there.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)