• Apr 21st, 2015 9:33 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9298 posts
10312 upvotes

TD rep unable to add my PCF chequing account

I subscribed to the TD E-series a few months ago. I wanted to have my PCF chequing account as an external account. The rep was puzzled, since she had never heard of this institution (it doesn't exist in Quebec). She tried entering my chequing number in her system, but she kept telling it wouldn't accept it because the formatting was incorrect. Fortunately I had my ING Direct cheques in my briefcase so I was able to add this as an external account, though it meant the hassle of transferring money to that account which I left dormant beforehand, every single time.

I called TD and explained the situation, and they told me I needed to call PCF so they could tell me what digits needed to be used. They told me it was impossible of doing this over the phone.

I called PCF, and they told me they were at a loss and it should work fine.

Indeed I am at a loss too, I had two different landlords use it for direct deposits and never had any issues.

Today a few months later I became tired of transferring money before purchasing e-series funds and on my lunch hour I called the rep in question, asking if she was available to try to add the chequing account again. She said I could just come in now and we would try. I went to the TD branch, which is minutes away from where I live. Unfortunately, it was to no avail. She even asked her superior who didn't know how to make it fit. She told me she was sorry but she didn't know what to tell me.

I'm really at my wit's end with this.
22 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
Maybe you're not providing the correct numbers from the account. Financial Instituion number is 3 digits, Transit number is 5 digits, Account number is 10 digits.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Very strange. In 2009 I linked my PC Financial LOC to TD eSeries and it's been working 100% fine after the first transaction. Though I don't live in Québec. :confused:
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9298 posts
10312 upvotes
kenchau wrote: Maybe you're not providing the correct numbers from the account. Financial Instituion number is 3 digits, Transit number is 5 digits, Account number is 10 digits.
I was providing her a genuine cheque, and she correctly identified each of these sections. From what I can recall she said the problem was with the account number.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
You need to add extra zeros in front of account number to make it fit.
Oh sada kehra bapu karda black nee, Jehra tere shahir (Toronto), Le lawan flat nee
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
Poutinesauce wrote: Well, my account number starts with 00. Do I need to add extra ones on top of that?
See how many they accept.
Oh sada kehra bapu karda black nee, Jehra tere shahir (Toronto), Le lawan flat nee
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Poutinesauce wrote: Well, my account number starts with 00. Do I need to add extra ones on top of that?
Looking at my mutual fund purchase confirmation from TD eSeries, it shows the 2 leading zeros from my PC Financial account number. Not sure what is going on here. :confused:

When I opened my TD eSeries, I actually printed out the 12 page form and mailed it in via snail mail with my initial cheque from PC Financial, and that's how it was added.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
can you show the format of your cheque numbers in xxs and zeros?

i.e. xxx xxxxx 00xxx0
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8569 posts
1763 upvotes
I used to be in the same role as that rep and never had any problems setting up PCF accounts. Pretty much just entered what was on the cheque.
Money Smarts Blog wrote: I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2005
5042 posts
2739 upvotes
Earth
Do you happen to be a long time PCF customer and still have old cheques with 326 as the institution number? They've changed it to 010 to match with CIBC. In fact you can often tell them you're with CIBC with branch number 30800 (PC Financial only has one transit/branch number).
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.

$99 10GB/month Can/US/Mexico, 1000 minutes, free evenings and weekend
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: I subscribed to the TD E-series a few months ago. I wanted to have my PCF chequing account as an external account. The rep was puzzled, since she had never heard of this institution (it doesn't exist in Quebec). She tried entering my chequing number in her system, but she kept telling it wouldn't accept it because the formatting was incorrect. Fortunately I had my ING Direct cheques in my briefcase so I was able to add this as an external account, though it meant the hassle of transferring money to that account which I left dormant beforehand, every single time.

I called TD and explained the situation, and they told me I needed to call PCF so they could tell me what digits needed to be used. They told me it was impossible of doing this over the phone.

I called PCF, and they told me they were at a loss and it should work fine.

Indeed I am at a loss too, I had two different landlords use it for direct deposits and never had any issues.

Today a few months later I became tired of transferring money before purchasing e-series funds and on my lunch hour I called the rep in question, asking if she was available to try to add the chequing account again. She said I could just come in now and we would try. I went to the TD branch, which is minutes away from where I live. Unfortunately, it was to no avail. She even asked her superior who didn't know how to make it fit. She told me she was sorry but she didn't know what to tell me.

I'm really at my wit's end with this.
Perform another visit to TD and find a knowledgeable CSR. Some are just too dense. If you still have the issue request a supervisor and then a branch manager. One of them will have the answer. It's not really that difficult.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
Make it easy, don't mention anything about PC Financial. Say that you bank with CIBC.

Institution Number - 010
Branch/Transit Number - 30800
Account Number - Your Account Number
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
Why don't you open td savings account and link to tangerine
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1047 posts
490 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
Poutinesauce wrote: Anyone has ideas about this? Still not solved. I really want to say goodbye to Tangerine and this is the only thing holding me off.
Did you read Jonavin's answer? That might be it.
Jonavin wrote: Do you happen to be a long time PCF customer and still have old cheques with 326 as the institution number? They've changed it to 010 to match with CIBC. In fact you can often tell them you're with CIBC with branch number 30800 (PC Financial only has one transit/branch number).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9298 posts
10312 upvotes
MehtabS wrote: Why don't you open td savings account and link to tangerine
I want to link to PCF. I would need cheques for that.

I already have a TD savings account, the rep said I had to open it in order to get the e-series. I guess I could deposit free PCF cheques in a TD ATM to the savings account, but I would need to change the source of the funds to the savings account.
Dec 22, 2013
930 posts
223 upvotes
EDMONTON
Poutinesauce wrote: I want to link to PCF. I would need cheques for that.

I already have a TD savings account, the rep said I had to open it in order to get the e-series. I guess I could deposit free PCF cheques in a TD ATM to the savings account, but I would need to change the source of the funds to the savings account.
Does PCF not have an online transfer system like Tangerine does? Could deposit automatically without having to write cheques.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
Poutinesauce wrote: I want to link to PCF. I would need cheques for that.

I haven't tried but I linked pcf and nbc with tangerine and there is option in tangerine to transfer from one account to another directly...hehe

EDIT: Doesn't work. Transactions can’t be between two external accounts.