• Aug 17th, 2014 8:19 pm
Tags:
Feb 7, 2006
341 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal

amazon.ca compromised?

Got order confirmation emails (which I didn't order) in amazon.ca
Called them immediately to cancel the orders and asked for refund.
Then I deleted all the payment (credit card) info stored there and changed my password. Hope that's the end of it.
[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/9tdg15.jpg[/IMG]
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8495 posts
2740 upvotes
Milton
Their site is not compromised, your account and password obviously were, if that wasn't you. Just update your credentials and don't store your payment info on your account. My account is fine.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Call in to cancel and cut up your credit cards people, close your bank accounts, change your SIN numbers everyone.

Nobody was compromised except you. Pick better passwords and stop blaming companies for your carelessness.
Oct 17, 2013
583 posts
36 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: Call in to cancel and cut up your credit cards people, close your bank accounts, change your SIN numbers everyone.

Nobody was compromised except you. Pick better passwords and stop blaming companies for your carelessness.
world is coming to an end.
Feb 7, 2006
341 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
Avenger wrote: Their site is not compromised, your account and password obviously were, if that wasn't you. Just update your credentials and don't store your payment info on your account. My account is fine.
Glad you checked your account and hope you won't get this type of trouble. I'm asking Amazon for the transactions' IP and MAC address. Hope they would provide them.
I use firefox-portabler for email, IE for banks, firefox for internet purchases, then Chrome for browsing and I don't do transactions in public (and the usual anti-virus, adware that type of things, and my passwords are mix of letters and numbers which are different for every site).
I am open for constructive suggestions on how to further improve my security practices online.
I suspect though, there is something going on. Hope that its not widespread. BTW, No one in the family own a kindle/compatible device.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
plausipo wrote: Glad you checked your account and hope you won't get this type of trouble. I'm asking Amazon for the transactions' IP and MAC address. Hope they would provide them.
I use firefox-portabler for email, IE for banks, firefox for internet purchases, then Chrome for browsing and I don't do transactions in public (and the usual anti-virus, adware that type of things, and my passwords are mix of letters and numbers which are different for every site).
I am open for constructive suggestions on how to further improve my security practices online.
I suspect though, there is something going on. Hope that its not widespread. BTW, No one in the family own a kindle/compatible device.
If you asked for a MAC address they'll know right away they're dealing with an idiot.
Feb 7, 2006
341 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
oneseasonleft wrote: world is coming to an end.
Yes, keep it positive. Machines and algorithms are human made, all prone to errors. Ever heard of "force purchase" in CC transactions? We need to be vigilant and plug the loopholes one by one. That's how we improve.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9298 posts
10312 upvotes
It could be that it's not your password that was snatched, but someone who phoned customer service and social engineered control of your account by giving minimal personal info about you. It's been known to happen for many Internet services. After all, they're only as secure as their least caring CSR's vigilance.
Feb 7, 2006
341 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
Cas77 wrote: If you asked for a MAC address they'll know right away they're dealing with an idiot.
MAC address can be tempered, nevertheless, is a piece of info that needs to be gathered. Ever heard of a guy using stolen credit card to make a purchase but also try to collect points with his loyalty number?
Oct 17, 2013
583 posts
36 upvotes
plausipo wrote: MAC address can be tempered, nevertheless, is a piece of info that needs to be gathered. Ever heard of a guy using stolen credit card to make a purchase but also try to collect points with his loyalty number?
Sounds like you know more than just letting someone snatch your amazon info. scammer?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
2114 posts
1262 upvotes
plausipo wrote: MAC address can be tempered, nevertheless, is a piece of info that needs to be gathered. Ever heard of a guy using stolen credit card to make a purchase but also try to collect points with his loyalty number?
MAC Addresses are not forwarded past a router. Goodluck getting that. That's how they know your an idiot. (quote from above)
Mar 23, 2013
706 posts
130 upvotes
Kitchener
It appears you have been scammed. Good luck
Feb 7, 2006
341 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
Poutinesauce wrote: phoned customer service and social engineered control of your account by giving minimal personal info about you
That's an interesting perspective ...
May 10, 2014
639 posts
86 upvotes
Montreal, QC
How does the same $99.99 get you 27100 gold, 27200 gold then 27300 gold?
Are in app purchases even refundable?
OP, if I were you, I'd get a new credit card too.
Feb 7, 2006
341 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
RAINMAN0 wrote: MAC Addresses are not forwarded past a router. Goodluck getting that. That's how they know your an idiot. (quote from above)
If its an native app, or running an activeX component, java applet or a client application, that could grab the MAC and send in during the transaction?
I do not know how Amazon Kindle app works, if you do, I definitely would be interested in knowing more about it.
Before that, I would not jump into any generalization. Then again, trying to get more information.
No luck even getting the IP. Just the normal runaround.
Feb 7, 2006
341 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
peaceonme wrote: How does the same $99.99 get you 27100 gold, 27200 gold then 27300 gold?
Are in app purchases even refundable? OP, if I were you, I'd get a new credit card too.
I do not know what the items are, so I don't know how to answer your question. I already called in and got refunded.
I was told once the refund is done, all these digital content would be "switched off".
I registered all my visa in v.me, kind of well monitored.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
LOL, I got an e-mail from "amazon" today advertising "the best tables in the world," though the e-mail contained nothing but links to sales for luxury watches (probably fake).

The e-mail was sent to my unique PayPal-specific address. I guess one of the eBay sellers I dealt with got compromised and/or sold my info. :lol:
- casual gastronomist -
Jul 3, 2014
74 posts
8 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Get Lastpass, use strong unique password for every website. You will be safe, its just 12$ per year for premium!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)